follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-01-2019, 06:17 PM   #15
juniorrr

Drives: Scion Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangizdope View Post
I actually heard it decreases power just a smidge if you remove the sound tube. Because they designed the airflow with the sound tube. But idk for sure. Shouldn't make any noticable difference though. Report back if it helps with the whoosh noise though. I'd try to buy one from someone if it does indeed help.
Yeah for sure bro I'll let you guys know! Also let me know if you guys ever find any other remedies for this lol
juniorrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:24 PM   #16
Weigaldo

Drives: 2016 Steel AT FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I actually heard it decreases power just a smidge if you remove the sound tube. Because they designed the airflow with the sound tube. But idk for sure. Shouldn't make any noticable difference though. Report back if it helps with the whoosh noise though. I'd try to buy one from someone if it does indeed help.
Sound tube no, resonator yes. Mishimoto found this when testing their inlet tube. Though I guess no one has tested stock inlet with and without sound tube.
Weigaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:24 PM   #17
juniorrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weigaldo View Post
Sound tube no, resonator yes. Mishimoto found this when testing their inlet tube. Though I guess no one has tested stock inlet with and without sound tube.
Yeah I just realized today that theres no way for me to put the stock sound tube back in because i have a mishimoto inlet hose LOL. I guess thats a no go then? But hey do you guys happen to know where i can buy the cap that goes at the bottom of the passenger side under the glove depart where the sound tube connects? Its a tiny little whole but you cap it and then take off the sound tube from your engine bay.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:30 PM   #18
JCW 86

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorrr View Post
Yeah I just realized today that theres no way for me to put the stock sound tube back in because i have a mishimoto inlet hose LOL. I guess thats a no go then? But hey do you guys happen to know where i can buy the cap that goes at the bottom of the passenger side under the glove depart where the sound tube connects? Its a tiny little whole but you cap it and then take off the sound tube from your engine bay.
Open your glove box and there should be a 12V outlet somewhere back there. Take the cap from there and shove it into the firewall hole. Should be a perfect fit.
JCW 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JCW 86 For This Useful Post:
juniorrr (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 05:18 PM   #19
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
The sound tube has a diaphragm in it, so there's no air going through. It's just there to transmit sound. Removing the tube won't really impact performance.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
Tangizdope (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 05:49 PM   #20
juniorrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW 86 View Post
Open your glove box and there should be a 12V outlet somewhere back there. Take the cap from there and shove it into the firewall hole. Should be a perfect fit.
Wow I didn't know that LOL! Thanks for the advice I just uninstalled the sound tube and my engine bay looks a lot better!