follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
86SPEED
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 03-05-2019, 01:25 AM   #1
Irace86.2.0

Drives: BRZ + M796
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Where are the stickies?

This subforum feels lacking in the stickies. Searching for information here is mostly searching through build threads hoping to learn from others who have made mistakes.

Where is the sticky on controllers/computers for engine swaps? It would be nice to see a collection of what is available on the market, what they offer and what they cost. It would be nice to know what is needed to operate a stripped down track car that is gutted to something that is running everything the stock car is running and everything in between.

Where is the sticky on a compilation of available swap kits? I know there is a Vorshlag LS kit, a Pure Automotive LS/2JZ/K24 kits, but are there others? For these kist, it would be cool to see a parts list, a price breakdown, needed accessories to complete the kit/swap that isnít included.

I saw a thread on CAN BUS. It could be the start of a sticky if it had a tutorial or solid answers, but unless I missed something, it doesnít have them.

Just saying. Iíd start one, but I really have no expertise to offer. If anything, Iím hoping to one day do a swap, and I am hoping to get all the knowledge I can now.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:27 AM   #2
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
This subforum feels lacking in the stickies. Searching for information here is mostly searching through build threads hoping to learn from others who have made mistakes.

Where is the sticky on controllers/computers for engine swaps? It would be nice to see a collection of what is available on the market, what they offer and what they cost. It would be nice to know what is needed to operate a stripped down track car that is gutted to something that is running everything the stock car is running and everything in between.

Where is the sticky on a compilation of available swap kits? I know there is a Vorshlag LS kit, a Pure Automotive LS/2JZ/K24 kits, but are there others? For these kist, it would be cool to see a parts list, a price breakdown, needed accessories to complete the kit/swap that isnít included.

I saw a thread on CAN BUS. It could be the start of a sticky if it had a tutorial or solid answers, but unless I missed something, it doesnít have them.

Just saying. Iíd start one, but I really have no expertise to offer. If anything, Iím hoping to one day do a swap, and I am hoping to get all the knowledge I can now.
I hear you on this. For a car that's been out since 2012 there is surprisingly little support for swaps. If you want everything to work most choose a CANbus solution like MRS CAN Gateway by MRS Electronic or if you have the funds MoTeC M130 from Pure is hard to beat. If you don't care about everything working and it's a track toy there is a plethora of options for stand alone ECU. This thread might help https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116595

As far as 100% complete swap kits? There is no such thing you're going to have to piece together some stuff. CX Racing makes engine and trans mounts plus headers for an LS. Vorshlag has the most complete offering of swap parts but they aren't cheap and they don't seem to be in any kind of hurry to further develop swap related parts for this platform.

Pure Automotive seems to be the authority on swaps. They are building my car. What kind of swap are you thinking of? If it's something besides an LS, 2JZ or K swap you will be a pioneer and don't expect any support, you'll be on your own pretty much. No swap is cheap but it would go like this 2JZ<LS< K swap. Sikky is supposedly coming out with some swap parts but they've been taking their sweet time like everyone else.

Personally I don't understand the obsession with getting CANbus to work aside from cost. People claim it's to keep the car street legal but in California there is no way you're passing smog with a post 1996 OBD II car anyway.
GrabTheWheel is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrabTheWheel For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 07:44 PM   #3
Irace86.2.0

Drives: BRZ + M796
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
I hear you on this. For a car that's been out since 2012 there is surprisingly little support for swaps. If you want everything to work most choose a CANbus solution like MRS CAN Gateway by MRS Electronic or if you have the funds MoTeC M130 from Pure is hard to beat. If you don't care about everything working and it's a track toy there is a plethora of options for stand alone ECU. This thread might help https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116595

As far as 100% complete swap kits? There is no such thing you're going to have to piece together some stuff. CX Racing makes engine and trans mounts plus headers for an LS. Vorshlag has the most complete offering of swap parts but they aren't cheap and they don't seem to be in any kind of hurry to further develop swap related parts for this platform.

Pure Automotive seems to be the authority on swaps. They are building my car. What kind of swap are you thinking of? If it's something besides an LS, 2JZ or K swap you will be a pioneer and don't expect any support, you'll be on your own pretty much. No swap is cheap but it would go like this 2JZ<LS< K swap. Sikky is supposedly coming out with some swap parts but they've been taking their sweet time like everyone else.

Personally I don't understand the obsession with getting CANbus to work aside from cost. People claim it's to keep the car street legal but in California there is no way you're passing smog with a post 1996 OBD II car anyway.
Good link, thanks. Could be a sticky.

When the time comes, I'll either do a K20a swap from Pure, or I am partial to, and leaning towards, the 3sge Beams with a turbo and E85. I like the Beams because it is Toyota, because it is the Baby 2jz in a way, because it is 86x86 to the roots of the car, because it has a Yamaha head, because it makes impressive power for a NA 4 cylinder from the 90's to early 2000's, and because it is not common.

This would be for a track only car because California/CARB/smog. I would pay for a Motec unit if it made sense and reduced headaches, but if it could be done without such an expensive standalone then I wouldn't go that direction. I would be doing a AC delete, HVAC delete, full gut of the interior (airbags, etc), audio delete, CC delete, etc. I am not sure about window-locks/wiper-controls/turn signals/lights/ignition/push to start, etc.

Things that I may want would be ABS, VSC, maybe traction control, power steering and power brakes. The nannies would be there for a supreme emergency like sliding out at high speeds, so like in a track mode where they are minimally intrusive. I've skidded at 100mph on wet roads and the VSC's ability to pulsate individual brakes to realign the car is something a driver couldn't do, so I wouldn't mind that. And yet, for a full track car, these aren't a deal breaker.

I wouldn't mind the stock gauges working. Currently I have oil pressure, oil temp and boost gauges. I could just add other standalone gauges, but if it is was possible then why not unless the price increase wasn't justifiable or worth it.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:02 PM   #4
Jesse36m3

Drives: JDL Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
goal: s54 or n54

I am fairly certain I could make it work. This wouldn't be for a while, but I can still dream. BMW fanboy forever.

I will make a thread from start to finish when and if I ever begin.
Jesse36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:04 PM   #5
Yoshoobaroo
Torque BuffaloChicken Dip

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse36m3 View Post
goal: s54 or n54

I am fairly certain I could make it work. This wouldn't be for a while, but I can still dream. BMW fanboy forever.

I will make a thread from start to finish when and if I ever begin.

Good luck! Planning on running a BMW ECU?