follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #15
ChiefG
Skeptic

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This question should have been posted in the Electronics forum since it's not a DIY. Maybe the mod can move it to the correct venue.

I bought the JVC KV-CM20, which is the same unit as the Kenwood CMOS-210. Mostly because I installed a JVC head unit. This cam/head unit do not have guide lines.

In retrospect, I can't recommend this cam. It's expensive and lacks guide lines. I would have preferred one with guide lines.

It has a "universal" bracket, which doesn't look factory-like, but can't be seen unless you're down at camera level. The benefit of this is that you can adjust the aim of the camera.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:33 PM   #16
nalc

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I have a Metra Third Eye (Want to say it's called a TE-LPC but I'm not 100% sure, it was $35)

My only major complaint is the field of view. I've driven a lot of new cars with factory backup cameras (Ford has the best ones IMO), and they seem to be angled just below level, with a nice FOV, so you can see stuff way behind you. My camera FOV ends about 10 feet behind the car, so you've got to drive with the mirror and just use the cam for finding parking lines or checking distance to a curb - unless you're at a crawl, it doesn't see far enough for you to do any steering with.

It gets the job done, though.

IMO I'd consider something adjustable. Doesn't look as nice, but you could tilt it a bit further up and get a better field of view.
nalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #17
schmearcampain

Drives: 2014 Argento FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danklvr View Post
i use a 14$ 170 degree CCD camera from amazon, works great, nice clear sharp image, waterproof... better resolution than the CMOS cameras..
How do you hook it up to your screen?
schmearcampain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #18
Danklvr

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Argento
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Danklvr
I used the beatsonic harness adapter, only because I wanted a factory install, but the connections can easily be made without the beatsonic BCUS3 backup camera adapter harness.

How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm once they've seen Karl Hungus?

Last edited by Danklvr; 02-25-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Danklvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:40 PM   #19
schmearcampain

Drives: 2014 Argento FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Where do you guys get the harness to connect the camera to the head unit? is there a part number I should look for?
schmearcampain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #20
norcal_brz

Drives: 04 Evo 8 SSL, 13 Brz Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
i use a 14$ 170 degree CCD camera from amazon, works great, nice clear sharp image, waterproof... better resolution than the CMOS cameras..
Link to which one you bought?
norcal_brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:43 PM   #21
Danklvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmearcampain View Post
Where do you guys get the harness to connect the camera to the head unit? is there a part number I should look for?
FR-S Verified part #, BRZ I'm not positive.. if the hu harness are the same / pin outs the same, the camera adapter will work.
search for other threads and im sure someone has a post on if it will work or not.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Beat-Sonic-BCUS3-Back-up-Interface-BeSpoke/dp/B00BLSYDX0"]Beat-Sonic BCUS3 Back-up Camera Interface for BeSpoke Radio + Other Toyota Head Units : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

The BCus2 is the older version of this adapter. it is identical to the BCus3, but the wire lead for the reverse trigger is shorter from what i've read and will need to be extended if you purchase the older part#.

you can find slightly cheaper elsewhere but not by too much... or make your own, there are a few diy's

Old 02-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #22
Danklvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal_brz View Post
Link to which one you bought?
this is the one i have, but sadly the price has gone up a little bit.
still is a great camera, clear crisp images, wide view angle, no fogging after many washes..
i secured with 3m double sided tape, and ran the wires behind the trunk logo garnish plate and into the trunk grommet. by preferance, mine is mounted dead center of the trunk though, not off to the drivers side but you could 3m this guy anywhere.

NOTE - this camera has its own built in range lines. i haven't found a way to disable them. if anyone has same camera and has figured it out, please advise me.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Updated-Esky-EC170-08-Waterproof-High-definition/dp/B005Q65JHM/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1393382640&sr= 1-4&keywords=rear+view+camera+ccd"]Amazon.com: [Newly Updated] Esky EC170-08 100% Waterproof Vehicle Car Rear View Backup Camera High-definition CCD 170 Degree Viewing Angle - Rearview Camera: Automotive[/ame]

im sure a quick ebay search would find a better price..

Old 09-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #23
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
this is the one i have, but sadly the price has gone up a little bit.
still is a great camera, clear crisp images, wide view angle, no fogging after many washes..
i secured with 3m double sided tape, and ran the wires behind the trunk logo garnish plate and into the trunk grommet. by preferance, mine is mounted dead center of the trunk though, not off to the drivers side but you could 3m this guy anywhere.

NOTE - this camera has its own built in range lines. i haven't found a way to disable them. if anyone has same camera and has figured it out, please advise me.

Amazon.com: [Newly Updated] Esky EC170-08 100% Waterproof Vehicle Car Rear View Backup Camera High-definition CCD 170 Degree Viewing Angle - Rearview Camera: Automotive

im sure a quick ebay search would find a better price..
Necro bump but do you still have this camera? If so would you mind snaooing a pic showing the grid lines? Wondering if they line up okay on our cars or if I should get the non-gridline version

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:37 PM   #24
Danklvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Necro bump but do you still have this camera? If so would you mind snaooing a pic showing the grid lines? Wondering if they line up okay on our cars or if I should get the non-gridline version
I don't have that camera anymore, i have since replaced with a smaller more flush style, but to answer your question, i found the gridlines on the camera "OK"..
Its a generic camera... Its got great image clarity for the price, but generic nonetheless.

As the camera is adjustable on the vertical axis, once you aim the camera, the range lines are "kinda" indicative of about a meter per section depending on how high you aim it, but they don't line up perfectly with the tire track, but are pretty close but just a little too narrow..

Am currently using a camera similar to this one, which has the option to disable/enable grid lines.. image quality and gridline spacing are same as the Esky CCD camera, IMHO.

https://www.amazon.com/CAIRUTE%C2%AE...reverse+camera

The Following User Says Thank You to Danklvr For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (09-20-2016)