follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
DBacon1052

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Unhappy My FR-S is Gone : Officially Totaled

I was driving down the street and the car in front of my came to an abrupt stop in the middle of the street (no stop signs or anything). Luckily I was able to stop in time; however, the guy behind me wasn't so fortunate. He plowed into the back of my beloved FR-S which, in turn, caused my car to fly into the idiot in front of me. While the car is gone at least nobody was seriously hurt in the accident. I'm 18 years old and this was my first accident. I have full coverage insurance and the accident was not my fault. Does this mean I will just get a new car or am I going to be out a lot of money. From my understanding I will only get what the insurance company thinks it is worth. The car only had around 8000 miles on it.

Update: The insurance of the guy behind me is going to cover the car. Since the person who hit me from behind is at fault, my insurance will not go up any. Hopefully everything from here on works out smoothly and I'll be in another FR-S shortly. Although, I may end up checking out some other cars before going for an FR-S. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved my FR-S! However, since I got the car so quickly, I never test drove any other cars. I try to look on the bright side of things though. At least I can get a different color(: Black was nice and all, but it was a bitch to keep clean!

Update: Officially Totaled
I finally got the word 2 days ago that the car is in fact totaled. They offered me 25 for the car which I declined as I paid close to 32 in total. I'll keep you guys in the loop with everything going on. Im talking to a dealer who said he's getting a massive shipment in this week today. I might even do the paperwork for it (:

Last edited by DBacon1052; 01-12-2013 at 06:24 PM.
DBacon1052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
DBacon1052

Garage
Here are the pics of my car after the accident
Attached Images

Last edited by DBacon1052; 12-29-2012 at 06:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DBacon1052 For This Useful Post:
nzer (12-29-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Darryljr11
Sideways and Smiling!

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Which insurance company do you have? I have AllState and if my car is totaled within the first three years of owning it I get a new one.
Darryljr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Outlawstar98
SLOW BRZ

Drives: 2013 328i xDrive; 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
do you have GAP insurance on the car? Depends on how much they will give you for the car.

But that does suck.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
sorry to hear
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Never been in your situation but I suspect you will get a check. If you will be receiving a check and feel you are being offered an unfair amount you can negotiate for more. Everything in this world is negotiable, start cordially but don't be afraid to be a prick. Remember, just because you are dealing with a large company, their first offer is not set in stone. They may flatly reject any negotiations but it doesn't hurt to try.

Legally they are required to ''make you whole'' thus the value is based on what your car was worth at the time, not the purchase price. Lucky for you the FR-S is relatively new and in short supply. There are almost no used examples and as such you should receive close to the MSRP perhaps minus 1-3 grand (pure guess). Good luck.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
MTCRX

Drives: Whiteout FRS- autocross ready
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If the accident report determines the accident is not your fault but is the other drivers, then his insurance should cover your loss. Let's hope he has insurance.
MTCRX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MTCRX For This Useful Post:
ravenblackfrs (12-28-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Sorry about your car guy. Fortunately, the value of used FR-S' is quite high, so you should get something close to the MSRP. Don't be afraid to negotiate (get tough) with the insurance company.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry to hear about this man, glad to hear everyone is ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryljr11 View Post
Which insurance company do you have? I have AllState and if my car is totaled within the first three years of owning it I get a new one.
Same here. It really depends on how your insurance policy is set-up though.
Shagaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shagaliscious For This Useful Post:
Darryljr11 (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
DBacon1052

Garage
Thanks for all the incite guys. Like I said, I've never been in this situation before. For now, I'm just trying to enjoy christmas eve. Tomorrow I'll figure everything out. Ill post pics of the car later on tonight. It ain't pretty /:
Old 12-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
Asphaltfrs1

Drives: 2013 asphalt fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Well since the accident wasn't his fault, doesn't he have leverage in what he gets from the other guy's insurance? It shouldn't matter what his personal policy consists of, right?
It's not his fault.
Asphaltfrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Right on in post #7. Every state is different, but if you are in a typical state...

Typically if somebody rear ends somebody else (no pun intended) the person doing the rear ending in the world of insurance is 100% at fault. If that is determined the case, the other person's insurance liability coverage should cover you in full. This is best option for you if the other insurance company is good and doesn't try to screw you over - you don't need to pay your collision deductible in this scenario.

If the other person is 100% at fault but does not have liability insurance you can use your own uninsured motorist (if you are in this type of state - every state has different insurance laws) coverage on your insurance. In this scenario, your insurance company coverage takes the place of the dead beat driver that didn't have coverage and hit your car.

Finally, if the other person does have insurance liability coverage, is at fault 100%, but his insurance company is ****ing you around, you can choose to use your own collision coverage and let your own insurance company subrogate against the person's liability coverage that is 100% at fault. If/when your insurance company collects back from the other person's company for being at fault, you get your collision deductible back.

BTW, sorry to hear. Accidents suck. I got rear ended once and luckily the other driver had good insurance.
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Insano For This Useful Post:
Asphalt~86 (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #13
Asphalt~86
Banned

Drives: Asphalt AT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Well other factors also matter in exactly what aftermarket parts are on the car if any. I know a good chunk of companies will cover just stock parts but if there was any sort of exhaust work done you can pretty much count that gone unless you specify it in your policy.

Most of the time you will get a check and then you can go buy a new one, but it also depends if you were upside down on your loan at all either.
Asphalt~86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
That's actually gray with liability coverage. Typically liability has to pay you whatever you are out. Including aftermarket upgrades and personal contents in the car. Again, it really depends totally on what state you are in as they are literally all different and unique with their auto insurance laws. And then, after you get through the unique laws in a given state, every insurance company is different with how they treat collision and liability auto claims!!
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote