follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 12-29-2015, 03:46 PM   #15
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I use only Dewalt 20V Max stuff, the batteries are all interchangeable and there are different amp hour ratings on them so you can get higher capacity. The line is pretty expansive so it's a good long term investment if you want other things. I have a 1/2" chuck standard drill, 1/4" bit impact driver, and a 1/2" drive XR impact wrench. They are all amazing tools.

I've had some Ryobi stuff in the past, tool worked well, but batteries were very flakey over time. Replacing the batteries is almost as expensive as buying a new drill.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:14 PM   #16
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This is an argument that will never be over, Dewalt or Makita... Just get which ever is cheaper. Both of those brands will lasts many years for a diyer.

I've got a Makita set, including a drill, impact driver, and flashlight, because it was on sale at costco. I've had it for about 5 years and everything still works like the day I bought it. That doesn't mean a Dewalt wouldn't do the same.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:26 PM   #17
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Have you considered a manual drill over an automatic?
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
cdq85 (12-31-2015), Impureclient (12-29-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 02:18 AM   #18
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
This is an argument that will never be over, Dewalt or Makita... Just get which ever is cheaper. Both of those brands will lasts many years for a diyer.

I've got a Makita set, including a drill, impact driver, and flashlight, because it was on sale at costco. I've had it for about 5 years and everything still works like the day I bought it. That doesn't mean a Dewalt wouldn't do the same.
Be willing to bet that the batteries, motors, chucks, etc are all made in the same place anyway. Like cars, the components are not made by the company that assembles them anymore so components are made side by side in the same plants. The only difference may be the number stamped on them at the end of the line.
Calum (12-30-2015), Ultramaroon (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #19
Nickosport

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Hilti is by far the best cordless drill I have ever used. But, they are easily 4x the price of any other brand. They leased them at my old job.

That said, for home use they are way overkill. I have used DeWalt for the past decade or so with virtually no issue. I just bought a new 20V a month ago to replace my 10yr old 18V. I've abused the hell out of them and they keep going. Makita is also a good bet, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of those if the deal was right.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #20
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
So I looked into Rigid last night. Every one on google says the warranty is a joke. Looked up it specifically and it doesn't cover wear and tear, only manufacturer defect. So if your drill goes out in 2 years they can just say it wore out, instead of being defective. Take this info however you want but apparently some research needs done on warranties before you purchase
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:19 PM   #21
super-86

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i've had my makita since 08', dropped and beaten to hell, but still works awesome....i've also used it for small car jobs (taking wheels off, strut bolts, etc) and its done it pretty well....for the last few months or so, i've been using it more around the house.
super-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:08 PM   #22
CandorLush

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited DGM 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Got a Dewalt 18v XRP drill DC988 12 years ago, beat it to hell and the clutch/torque plate finally went out so I rebuilt it rather than buy a new POS. There are $139 dewalt drills but stay away if you want longevity, @NWFRS said it best, Lithium ion and brushless motor will get you a drill that will last and will allow you to repair it, not just replace.
CandorLush is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CandorLush For This Useful Post:
NWFRS (12-31-2015), Ultramaroon (12-30-2015)
Old 12-31-2015, 10:22 AM   #23
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
So I looked into Rigid last night. Every one on google says the warranty is a joke. Looked up it specifically and it doesn't cover wear and tear, only manufacturer defect. So if your drill goes out in 2 years they can just say it wore out, instead of being defective. Take this info however you want but apparently some research needs done on warranties before you purchase
I've already had a worm drive circular saw and a cordless battery charger unit go in and no problems. The charger is over two years old for sure and the circular saw is well 4-5 years old. I use the saw to cut concrete and it was covered in concrete dust. It was not babied and when I brought it in they looked at it funny but gave no problems. Maybe each Home Depot will decide differently what "wear and tear" is? Luckily there is usually a Home Depot every 5-10 miles so.... I'm not worried as I made sure to ask the hardware employee at the store I most frequent and he said they are covered for "everything". I asked about the batteries and they said that too so if they cover a battery which is 100% guaranteed to fail, they should cover most anything else unless it was abused on purpose. If the day comes where they deny a warranty claim, I may just show them my monthly bank statement with all the Home Depot purchases and tell them they could all be solely Lowes purchases instead.

Quote:
What is Not Covered

Failures due to misuse, abuse or normal wear and tear are not covered by this warranty. Ridge Tool shall not be responsible for any incidental or consequential damages.
That is directly from the Ridgid site and it does seem they can deny pretty much every claim with that statement. I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it but so far everything has been fine.

Nickosport mentioned Hilti. They have a warranty that claims "lifetime with wear and tear". If Ridgid ever gives me a problem I guess I may have to start getting Hilti products.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:26 AM   #24
Talus1

Drives: '06 Cayman, ‘23 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
My 2¢...

First, figure out what you want to do with the tool. Drilling the occasional hole and installing a few drywall screws around the house? Building and installing kitchen cabinets? Building houses or installing plumbing? Setting climbing anchors on El Capitan? That will tell you what size (voltage, capacity, etc) and general beefiness of the tool you want.

I buy a lot of tools. Kind of an addiction of mine. My wife has a Ryobi 12V screwgun that works great for little jobs around the house, weighs nothing, fits in a drawer in the kitchen and fits her hand but it doesn't have the torque to drive a 3/4" bit through a 2x4 stud. I have a 12V Li drill and impact driver set at the cottage that are great for everyday use, cabinet making, etc, but I wouldn't expect them to last too long if I were using them for rough ins all day. I also have a 20V Li drill and impact driver set that can do just about everything, but they are a bit heavy and chunky for small jobs or tight spaces. 14.4 V Li might be the sweet spot, but there aren't many around.

Incidentally, impact drivers are awesome and capable of driving fasteners much larger than the equivalent drill/driver. I.e., a 12V drill/impact driver set is much more capable than just a 12V drill alone.

As far as brand goes, I'll echo the wise and wonderful Tcoat. Many of them come out of the same factory (e.g. DeWalt owns Porter Cable) and none of them are made of materials as robust as tools were back in the day (molded plastic vs cast aluminum). That said, the top line tools used by pros are very well designed these days.

So, if you just want to be able to drill a hole to mount a picture, buy any tool that you like the feel of. If you want a "do nearly anything" tool for around the house use, get a mid-size (12-14.4V Li) drill and impact driver combo. If you build houses for a living, you're posting this question on the wrong forum.

Bet you wish you never asked...