follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2016, 08:38 PM   #1
86Mike

Drives: FT-86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Skunk2 Pro-C Coilovers - Daily Drivability

Does anyone have any direct experience running the Skunk2 Pro-C Coilovers? If so, can you comment on the comfort/daily drivability compared to the stock ride?

I have an FR-S currently on Eibach Sportline springs and stock dampers. I daily drive ~ 80 miles each day and the ride is just too rough. Smooth asphalt is fine but concrete Interstates or bumpy roads have me bouncing around more than I can stand. I had done some research here on the forum and settled on Tein Flex Z as a good alternative but I made this decision right as the current stock was drying up. As I wait for them to be restocked, I came across the Skunk2 Pro-C coilovers but there wasn't a lot of info on the forum about them. I'm just looking for some honest feedback about the way they ride.

98% of my driving is daily with 2% being the 1 or two times I actually run around the cones at my local parking lot. I am concerned about comfort, looks and performance in that order. The Sportlines sit at a height that I like to improve the look by removing the fender gap, they just don't ride well with the stock dampers.
86Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:11 PM   #2
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
any particular reason you're looking at those coilovers only? or are you open to other setups? the ST coilovers are great for daily driving, decent performance capability, and can remove the wheel gap too. and they're under $1000. no adjustable top hat, but has slotted upper holes to dial in a little bit of negative camber still.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:31 PM   #3
mpross

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Same with MeisterR. Right at $1,000, really good DD ability, good performance gain, and you have camber adjustment also.
mpross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpross For This Useful Post:
86Mike (04-26-2016), 8R6 (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 08:35 PM   #4
86Mike

Drives: FT-86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8R6 View Post
any particular reason you're looking at those coilovers only? or are you open to other setups? the ST coilovers are great for daily driving, decent performance capability, and can remove the wheel gap too. and they're under $1000. no adjustable top hat, but has slotted upper holes to dial in a little bit of negative camber still.
Thanks for the replies. I'm open to any suggestions. I've been searching and reading through threads. I had eliminated some coilovers based on the information I found on streetability/comfort but I couldn't find much feedback on the Skunk2's. I was set on the Tein Flex Z coilovers based on the research I had done here but the Skunk2's were recommended as an alternative by a vendor and I was just exploring that option in this this thread.

The main reason I was set on the Tein Flex Z was that it got good reviews for being able to dial in a comfortable setting for the street while still being an ok coilover from a performance standpoint. I'm not on the track with this car other than a few short parking lot events so I didn't want to spend a fortune but if I need to step up my budget, I am flexible.

If you have any other suggestions for comfort on the highway, I'm all ears.
86Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:03 AM   #5
sam69

Drives: GT 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I've been running these for well over a year now http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOG-PLATI...ENSION-/131151 and still get comments from people who ride in the car on just how comfortable it is on our crap roads .

Have posted this a number of times before when people ask for a comfortable coilover but don't know if anyone else has tried a set yet but can say they are very good.
sam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sam69 For This Useful Post:
86Mike (04-27-2016)

Tags
coilovers, fr-s, pro-c, skunk2, suspension