follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #715
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
@mrg666

It seems like there is something off. Normally power and response increases with cooler temps, so maybe the CARB tune is limiting power by retarding ignition or decreasing throttle output proportional to accelerator input or something, so that emissions stays low. If so then DT should improve your situation. In general, the tune will be better. There is a possibility there is something else odd going on, but I can’t think of what.
The engine is totally fine when the temperature is around 60-70F. Below 50F is fine again for daily driving but I can definitely feel that engine is not happy, mpg goes down, it doesn't want to rev up, idle is rough ... Somebody else driving my car the first time might say that it is just fine but I know it was much better the day before when temperature was higher. I am thinking that the tune is not adjusting the fuel ratio to air intake temperature properly. One thing I will try is to cover the front grill one of the cold days to see if there is any improvement.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:42 PM   #716
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
@mrg666

I don’t think covering the front will matter. IAT will be lower when it is colder no matter what. Blocking the air from getting to the radiator won’t change much.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:39 PM   #717
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
@mrg666

I don’t think covering the front will matter. IAT will be lower when it is colder no matter what. Blocking the air from getting to the radiator won’t change much.
I was thinking about the intercooler but you might be right.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:31 PM   #718
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
The engine is totally fine when the temperature is around 60-70F. Below 50F is fine again for daily driving but I can definitely feel that engine is not happy, mpg goes down, it doesn't want to rev up, idle is rough ... Somebody else driving my car the first time might say that it is just fine but I know it was much better the day before when temperature was higher. I am thinking that the tune is not adjusting the fuel ratio to air intake temperature properly. One thing I will try is to cover the front grill one of the cold days to see if there is any improvement.
The tune is adjusting, it is the fact that engine and Subaru engines in general like to maintain a optimal temperature of a bare minimum of 160 degrees F. If you are below that the car is not going to be happy or smooth. Ideally these cars like to run about 180 degrees and what we recommend. So if you are way below that you may need to place some cardboard in front of any oil coolers to keep the car a bit warmer.

Think of you body, you don't just hop of bed on a cold day and instantly go for a run. You get our, warm your body up, get it up to temperature and then go for a run. It is the same thing as a car.

Cheers,
William Knose
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (08-28-2019), mrg666 (02-26-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 11:52 PM   #719
spagti

Drives: Broken Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This might be a silly question but I haven't found the answer yet so maybe @DeliciousTuning or someone else can help me here.

I'm doing a custom turbo install and considering the FNG tune. When it comes to getting things going, how do I know what to configure my bov/bc to for the initial tune install and after? Do I need to know what my goal psi is at the start? Will I be told what to set it to initially for logging and revising? Just wondering how the process works on my end for tweaking things with the tune to find how much boost I should run.

Thanks
spagti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:21 PM   #720
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagti View Post
This might be a silly question but I haven't found the answer yet so maybe @DeliciousTuning or someone else can help me here.

I'm doing a custom turbo install and considering the FNG tune. When it comes to getting things going, how do I know what to configure my bov/bc to for the initial tune install and after? Do I need to know what my goal psi is at the start? Will I be told what to set it to initially for logging and revising? Just wondering how the process works on my end for tweaking things with the tune to find how much boost I should run.

Thanks
Hi,

We usually start off with our initial tune that is based on about 7-10 PSI of boost. On a stock engine that is usually a good place to start.

As for the bov, the spring pressure of that should be at least 11-12 PSI, in order to maintain a strong idle. Subaru engines draw a pretty good vacuum so you will need a stiff spring in order to not have a rough idle.

Helpfully that helps a bit,

William Knose
The Following User Says Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
spagti (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 03:04 PM   #721
spagti

Drives: Broken Blue BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTuning View Post
Hi,

We usually start off with our initial tune that is based on about 7-10 PSI of boost. On a stock engine that is usually a good place to start.

As for the bov, the spring pressure of that should be at least 11-12 PSI, in order to maintain a strong idle. Subaru engines draw a pretty good vacuum so you will need a stiff spring in order to not have a rough idle.

Helpfully that helps a bit,

William Knose

Yeah that’s perfect. Thank you for clearing it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spagti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:28 AM   #722
incutebus

Drives: Boosted
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So I purchased a jdl kit with a 2876r for a really good deal. Can I just run straight e85 at low boost on stock injectors? I'm really only looking for like 270 to 280whp. I also dont want to buy flex fuel since theres tons of e85 stations around me.
incutebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:31 AM   #723
Fred E

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by incutebus View Post
So I purchased a jdl kit with a 2876r for a really good deal. Can I just run straight e85 at low boost on stock injectors? I'm really only looking for like 270 to 280whp. I also dont want to buy flex fuel since theres tons of e85 stations around me.
Delicious Tuning notes in the thread linked below that they are able to tune to support 350whp and 11psi on E85 on the stock injectors, so you shouldn't have any issues with 270-280 and straight E85. If you're only ever going to fill with E85 and never have to worry about your station switching to the winter blend, you'll be fine. The tune will adjust fueling automatically via fuel trims for a good amount of ethanol content range if your station's content is inconsistent.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52200

Last edited by Fred E; 03-25-2019 at 09:48 AM. Reason: forgot the thread link :D
Fred E is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred E For This Useful Post:
incutebus (03-25-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 01:32 AM   #724
Mr_Eyo

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
I have an AT with the Edelbrock kit and v25 tune for flex fuel and am having a rough idle. Sometimes sitting at a light, ignition advance timing is -2.5 deg. STFT is high, like +25%. Load is a little higher than normal. Vacuum sometimes is only -7psi vs the normal -10psi, so I imagine the bypass valve actuator is partially open, flooding the cylinders with compressed air and the ECU is pulling timing. If that sounds plausible, where could I be having vacuum issues?
Mr_Eyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:11 AM   #725
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

We jsut finished updates to our new NA Stage 1,2 and ACE tunes for the BRZ/86/FRS. (Including Flex Fuel Updates). Flash & Go Tunes updates are now in the works with new EcuTeK RaceROM patches in the works.

Version 12.00 for Stage 1
Version 13.00 for Stage 2
Version 14.00 for Stage 2 + ACE header.

Improvements include
- New Cam Table Profiles
- New Fuel Table Adjustments,
- New Timing Advance Tables
- New DI/PI control mechanism

We also have added on the EcuTeK ECUConnect
- Custom MAF Trim %
- Custom WOT Timing %
- Custom Traction Control % (NA Tunes)
- Custom Boost Pressure Set Point (Flash & Go Tunes)
- Optional Pops % Bangs Switch
- Optional Crackle Slider

RaceROM Maps Have Also Changes
- Custom Race Throttle Spec (tested for immediate response)
- Improved Autoblip (for those that like that option)
- New Valet features

Regards,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
The Following User Says Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
sroby (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #726
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Any ETA on v26 for the Edelbrock? I found an intake leak that was present all during Zach's tuning with me on v25 along with an intermittent wiring problem on my Dbox harness so I've dropped back to the v25 base map. I want to get the tune refined with you guys but not if v26 is due soon (which Nazar said it was back in April).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTuning View Post
We jsut finished updates to our new NA Stage 1,2 and ACE tunes for the BRZ/86/FRS. (Including Flex Fuel Updates). Flash & Go Tunes updates are now in the works with new EcuTeK RaceROM patches in the works.

Version 12.00 for Stage 1
Version 13.00 for Stage 2
Version 14.00 for Stage 2 + ACE header.

Improvements include
- New Cam Table Profiles
- New Fuel Table Adjustments,
- New Timing Advance Tables
- New DI/PI control mechanism

We also have added on the EcuTeK ECUConnect
- Custom MAF Trim %
- Custom WOT Timing %
- Custom Traction Control % (NA Tunes)
- Custom Boost Pressure Set Point (Flash & Go Tunes)
- Optional Pops % Bangs Switch
- Optional Crackle Slider

RaceROM Maps Have Also Changes
- Custom Race Throttle Spec (tested for immediate response)
- Improved Autoblip (for those that like that option)
- New Valet features

Regards,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #727
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
Any ETA on v26 for the Edelbrock?
We have the tune on about 3 cars locally and have been letting the customers feel them out. We are still working on it, as we needed to release the NA tune first. Now that those are done we are focusing on FI applications again.

No official ETA, but it is in the works.

Cheers,
William Knose
Old 05-15-2019, 11:03 PM   #728
sroby

Drives: 2015 Firestorm 08/05/15
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
updated

Last edited by sroby; 08-28-2019 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Updated
sroby is offline   Reply With Quote