follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 12-29-2011, 05:13 AM   #43
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokinbird87 View Post
again, i`m 6ft tall and i want comfort so no elise haha (maintenance scares me also).
im 6'2" and i used to daily drive a miata. i dont know if i could dd the elise either but when im out of school i will try (lucky me i have 4 cars). i dont think the maintenance is an issue but i get the size thing. if thats a concern, i think waiting for the frs might be in your best interest. if you really need one car, its hard not to look over at evos...
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #44
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
rsx is definitely showing its age but it can be fixed with a modern headunit. however, i refuse to drive something with such heavy steering everyday .

btw, dc5 integra was actually one of the benchmarks that toyota/subaru set out (i can dig for sources on this but it's been a long long time ago)everyone wondered why it was benchmarked to a fwd car, but i knew what they wanted exactly when they have mentioned that.
IMO light steering is not sporting at all. If I test drive a car with light steering it automatically fails in my eyes.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #45
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
IMO light steering is not sporting at all. If I test drive a car with light steering it automatically fails in my eyes.
Of course I never found the RSX's steering to be heavy anyways. I thought it was overassisted and light.. not Civic overassisted and light, but..

See we don't always disagree sub
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #46
vang
Banned

Drives: 2003 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I haven't read any of the replies, but judging from your initial post, I'll say you should wait. It looks like you are either 1) unsure of what exactly you want because you are cross-shopping cars that should not be - pricewise and purpose - OR 2) you are a dreamer, not an actual buyer. I'm just being honest, and I don't mean that in any harm because I was once a dreamer and liked to generate responses in forums.

Figure out what you really want (and what you can realistically afford, if funds are limited). That'll narrow your list down to 2 or 3 options, and the FR-S/BRZ may or may not even be on that list. Irregardless, it might be wise to wait on a later and likely revised model anyways. Toyota has a habit of doing these revisions for their sports cars, usually with mild to significant improvements (I cannot speak for Subaru though).
vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #47
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Of course I never found the RSX's steering to be heavy anyways. I thought it was overassisted and light.. not Civic overassisted and light, but..

See we don't always disagree sub
I don't find it heavy either. It just has a lot of feel for the road in the steering. I always feel confident with that kind of steering because I know what the front tires are doing 100% of the time. Also we don't disagree on most things just some things we see differently.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #48
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
im 6'2" and i used to daily drive a miata. i dont know if i could dd the elise either but when im out of school i will try (lucky me i have 4 cars). i dont think the maintenance is an issue but i get the size thing. if thats a concern, i think waiting for the frs might be in your best interest. if you really need one car, its hard not to look over at evos...
evo is the last car i will go to for my new car. if i go the evo route i rather just do a sti swap on my wrx. i know that i want RWD and lightweight for sure.
mokinbird87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #49
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vang View Post
I haven't read any of the replies, but judging from your initial post, I'll say you should wait. It looks like you are either 1) unsure of what exactly you want because you are cross-shopping cars that should not be - pricewise and purpose - OR 2) you are a dreamer, not an actual buyer. I'm just being honest, and I don't mean that in any harm because I was once a dreamer and liked to generate responses in forums.

Figure out what you really want (and what you can realistically afford, if funds are limited). That'll narrow your list down to 2 or 3 options, and the FR-S/BRZ may or may not even be on that list. Irregardless, it might be wise to wait on a later and likely revised model anyways. Toyota has a habit of doing these revisions for their sports cars, usually with mild to significant improvements (I cannot speak for Subaru though).
i will do something soon, either replace the powertrain on the wrx or buy a different car; however, i really dont know what i want lol. it's like, i have the money to go out and buy the used boxster, but if anything goes wrong on it, i would be struggling to find the extra pocket change, whereas the fr-s might not be as much a car the boxster is, but offers (hopefully) just as much fun without any of the headache.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #50
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Quote:

what about a miata?
Old 12-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #51
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Quote:
what about a miata?
So a miata has light steering? If so that car is highly overrated.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #52
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
So a miata has light steering? If so that car is highly overrated.
I haven't driven an NC, but none of the others have had light steering that I can recall noticing.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #53
Mr. Mcoupe

Drives: ExigeS,M3,S2k,MCpe,MR2T,T4R,Sienna
Find a low mileage 2001-2003 E46 M3. Low 20's.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #54
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mcoupe View Post
Find a low mileage 2001-2003 E46 M3. Low 20's.

expensive maintenance, poor fuel efficiency, heavy steering at low speeds, etc... meh. i`m sure it makes sprited driving very fun, but i drive like a regular person, cruising at about 90% of the time. i also want something either equivalent or newer than 2003 year model.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #55
pastuch

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

1. keep the wrx (paid off car), do whatever i want and auto-x, track with it, buy another nice daily (something like an audi a3 tdi for long comfy trips with great gas mileage that is still relatively fun to drive). i still see a lot of potential in the subaru, but defnitely doesnt get my heart pumping like it used to.

or buy one of these cars that i have driven:

2.infiniti g37 coupe: love the way it drives (feels a lot lighter than it really is), interior is gorgeous, lots of luxury features i have been wanting, and it will be very reliable. however, it is EVERYWHERE and is terrible on gas.

3.vw r32 dsg: love the limted/special feel, very nice interior, easy to manuever at low speeds despite the AWD, love the usable torque. but the DSG feels clunky when just cruising, worried about vw reliability, heavy engine on the nose makes it feel nervous when really going at it in the corners (fishtails).

4.c6 vette: cheap insurance (compared to the wrx and probably the fr-s), relatively cheap cost to maintain overall with an amazing engine. but as soon as i took a corner, i can definitely feel the heavy front end and the slow steering response. build quality is rather disgusting but the good fun in the straights almost makes up for it. supposedly 30 mpg with the pushrod v8s? i can believe it as i was cruising at 70mph in 1500pm.

5.genesis coupe (drove every single trim) track edition rides stupid stiff... like as if it has no suspension stroke, and the brembos are very touchy in feel. engine feels like it has the advertised power but doesnt rev/respond as quickly as i`d like. 4 cylinder turbo is just slow in stock form and i do not plan on modifying a car with a 10 year warranty. this car feels the best with the v6 and the auto tranny in its comfortable grand touring trim, but the infiniti does the luxury thing better in my opinion. and i hate to admit it, but i dont want to be THAT korean guy in a korean car.

6.boxster (987) loved every detail; even the door handle, how it rotates up slightly when opening. engine sounds phenominal, brakes feel perfect and when i want to just settle down and cruise, it does so very well. again, lack of rear seats bother me, but still trying to figure out if it's a mental thing since i`ve always had a sedan. one major flaw is of course the cost of ownership; i want to auto-x without having to worry how much the next tune up will cost me.

7.nc miata hardtop: love everything about the way it drives, love the hardtop convertible, but i am an insecure guy and needs to be seen in something more manly to look more manly . more useable torque would be nice also. rear end feels a bit floaty in stock form, but i`m sure with just a set of performace spring/sway bar set up that will be quickly fixed. not too sure about mazda reliability in general.

8.bmw 335i coupe: i have yet to drive a manual one, but the automatic one has been a big disappointment for me. run flat tires really make the car ride like a skateboard at any speed and even though it may advertise 300hp and a flat torque at low rpm, the car isnt really eager to be driven hard. but it looks so gorgeous and still makes me wonder how it would drive with a proper manual tranny and a nice set of regular summer tires?

9.mini cooper s: forgot about FWD and just took the car for a drive. after a quick run i can confidently say that the mini will outrun just about anything on a small narrow road that has small room for error. i did the exact same road in my wrx just to compare and it was everywhere... great car, but again my insecure masculinity stops me, not to mention it's reliability horror stories. ride comfort is non exisistence for me being 6ft+... no matter how low i go i always felt like i was sat on the car rather than in it.

10. rx-8: loved driving the car a lot (especailly the way it revs so smoothly to its redline) but the clutch take up is too light for me and the rotary reliability scares me. i would like some sort of fuel efficinecy also.

11. rsx-s: quite possibly the cheapest option as a lightly used one will be half the cost of the fr-s, but the suspension moves a bit awkward fo me; it has a pretty good limit in stock form but it seems to snap into under/oversteer on mid corner bumps. it also rides very stiff and its heavy steering with fwd steering angle makes it a chore to drive in everyday situation.

12. s2000: too small inside, same problem with the rsx in the suspension department (i never feel comfortable driving it fast). if it wasnt for the small cabin, i actually find the ride very supple because i prefer solid stiff suspension with minimal bobble head affect rather than soft and jiggly one.

13.fr-s / brz: promises to be the exact car i have been wanting, but just worried that it may be a bit too hardcore for me to drive everyday. 2 liter square boxer motor will feel great when revving to the redline but when i want to just cruise, will it settle down and drive quietly? will it have the torque to pull me over the hills without downshifting? if it really turns out to be a bargain cayman with rear seats, this will be the perfect car for me, but as i have stated before, i feel like i dont have the spirit like the most of you on this forum. cayman/boxster package is amazing because it has the performance AND the comfort IMO... but asking for that at a price of $25k and under is nonsense to begin with. But toyota set the bar not me right?

thanks for reading such a long post and your opinion would be greatly appreciated! obviously i have to drive the fr-s/brz and i am hoping that the car will be exactly what i think it will be, but it will be valuable for me to hear what you guys have to say. thanks again.

You're the Korean version of me! I've driven almost every car on your list and I agree with almost every comment you made. I'm also a former WRX and G35 owner, now I'm driving an NA Miata that I love but I hate the Girls's car stigma.

1. The newer model WRX in the US is a terrific value... it's too expensive in Canada, so much so that it's a rip off. Have you considered a newer WRX? (You didn't mention what year yours is) (Driven)

2. Fact: Infiniti's least reliable car is the G37 but it's still more reliable than a Corvette. I'm surprised you said the Infiniti interior is "Gorgeous", I found it a total let down. The silver center console makes me (Driven)

3. The Genesis Coupe vs G37 argument is one I agonized over but in the end I decided neither was right. I've driven several of each car. My G35 was a reliability nightmare but if the FR-S disappoints I'll probably buy an 09 G37 anyway because so few cars impress me. (Driven Many)

4. 370z is Nissans least reliable model and it's less practical than a Miata. While it's an undoubtedly sexy car I was disappointed with the ride, steering and mostly the M6 tranny. I'm very picky about Manual Transmission feel and Nissan/Infinitis have let me down every time. (Driven)

5. VWs definitely aren't my taste and the reliability statistics and parts pricing keep me out of their dealerships. Haven't had the chance to try an R32 yet.

6. Haven't driven the Boxster but I'm sure it's stellar. My Dad's 1994 911 C2 is out-fucking-standing! Why not look at an 08 Cayman? It's a little more practical and about equal on the fun scale.

7. Miatas are for girls. I own one and getting made fun of at every light sucks. Trust me. Also chicks don't respect men in Miatas.

8. I haven't like the look of one BMW since Chris Bangle started designing them in 2003. He's a fucking retard. The entire E90 generation of 3 series look like Camrys. The E30, E36 and E46 were all beautiful in their own way but the E90 is just brutal. I HATE that car. (Driven)

9. If you want to pay to store your car at a maintenance garage buy a Mini.

10. I agree with everything you said about the RX8. It's an absolute joy to drive, I love the torque curve, the steering and most of all the orgasmic transmission. I don't like 10MPG, rotary reliability and horrible resale value.(Driven many)

11. RSX-S is a boat. Understeer like mad with horrible quality interior and it's pretty old at this point. (Driven)

12. I got to drive an S2000 this fall, mint 2004 with low mileage, WOW! Maybe the best manual transmission I've ever tried.It has to be the smallest interior and least practical car on this list though.

13. "promises to be the exact car i have been wanting, but just worried that it may be a bit too hardcore for me to drive everyday. 2 liter square boxer motor will feel great when revving to the redline but when i want to just cruise, will it settle down and drive quietly? will it have the torque to pull me over the hills without downshifting? if it really turns out to be a bargain cayman with rear seats, this will be the perfect car for me, but as i have stated before, i feel like i dont have the spirit like the most of you on this forum. cayman/boxster package is amazing because it has the performance AND the comfort IMO... but asking for that at a price of $25k and under is nonsense to begin with."

Your more of a Tuner than I am. I think a huge number of us won't be planning FI or Turbo swaps. I want a FUN TO DRIVE car with decent comfort. I plan on buying an FR-S and driving it 'mostly stock' for years. Like you said about your friends NB Miata, power and torque numbers don't mean much. I don't think expecting this car around $25k is unrealistic at all given the sparse interior and weak economy. I'm more worried it will become a "girls car" because it looks cool.

Just want to share this again... Consumer Reports 2011 Brand reliability chart
pastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #56
Mr. Mcoupe

Drives: ExigeS,M3,S2k,MCpe,MR2T,T4R,Sienna
Quote:
expensive maintenance, poor fuel efficiency, heavy steering at low speeds, etc... meh. i`m sure it makes sprited driving very fun, but i drive like a regular person, cruising at about 90% of the time. i also want something either equivalent or newer than 2003 year model.
How about a 2003 IS300 (manual trans)? I had one in Graphite Gray Pearl and it was a blast to drive fast and pleasant to cruise.