follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2017, 12:24 PM   #43
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Yep, no doubt ...... nobody "fixes" things anymore ...... they just replace them.....
It's honestly just a matter of parts availability, if a set of synchros could be easily and affordably attained more people would try. Like you said, it's a transmission not a rocket engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
What is the % of bad synchros for people that have zero mods, only ever use the car on the street while obeying all posted laws, and they have 30K-100K miles?
Wait, are you implying that because a defect has a low occurrence rate it shouldn't be covered by the factory?

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 12:57 PM   #44
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Wait, are you implying that because a defect has a low occurrence rate it shouldn't be covered by the factory?
Only if it is a factory defect, which isn't the case here as best as I can tell.

I would need to know (roughly speaking) the number of people that develop the synchro issue and have never driven the car hard or have mods. Having this information would give us a baseline to judge whether it could be argued as a factory issue, or whether it really is user error.

When I say hard, I am speaking to not using the car for 100% normal road use as clearly defined by state laws and the manufacturer warranty. Events, whether they are competitive or not, in a parking lot or track, isn't relevant as these are all objectively not normal road use.

Obviously you can drive the car hard on the street, but without mods, self admitted track use, etc., you should reasonably expect that Toyota would fix the issue, unless they can prove you used the car outside what is normal road use. But that seems like another discussion.

Kind of like how Corvette owners want to sue Chevy because the cars overheat on the track. If it overheats on the track, I don't recognize that as a Chevy problem, regardless of whether the car has a "track" mode or it is advertised as such. That is user error. Buy an oil cooler or don't track it.

If they overheat during normal road use, then you have my attention.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mazeroni For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 01:13 PM   #45
Slammillionaire

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Only if it is a factory defect, which isn't the case here as best as I can tell.

I would need to know (roughly speaking) the number of people that develop the synchro issue and have never driven the car hard or have mods. Having this information would give us a baseline to judge whether it could be argued as a factory issue, or whether it really is user error.

When I say hard, I am speaking to not using the car for 100% normal road use as clearly defined by state laws and the manufacturer warranty. Events, whether they are competitive or not, in a parking lot or track, isn't relevant as these are all objectively not normal road use.

Obviously you can drive the car hard on the street, but without mods, self admitted track use, etc., you should reasonably expect that Toyota would fix the issue, unless they can prove you used the car outside what is normal road use. But that seems like another discussion.

Kind of like how Corvette owners want to sue Chevy because the cars overheat on the track. If it overheats on the track, I don't recognize that as a Chevy problem, regardless of whether the car has a "track" mode or it is advertised as such. That is user error. Buy an oil cooler or don't track it.

If they overheat during normal road use, then you have my attention.
I agree with most of what you're saying here, but if you look on chevy's website, the section for the zo6 clearly markets it as a track car. 90% of the photos of it are on a track, advertises all of the upgrades it has over base stingrays that help it on the track etc. Compare that the the ft86, while marketed as a fun sports car, you don't see the same track focused marketing.

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...e-z06-supercar

Last edited by Slammillionaire; 08-08-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Slammillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slammillionaire For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 01:29 PM   #46
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammillionaire View Post
I agree with most of what you're saying here, but if you look on chevy's website, the section for the zo6 clearly markets it as a track car. 90% of the photos of it are on a track, advertises all of the upgrades it has over base use etc. Compare that the the ft86, while marketed as a fun sports car, you don't see the same track focused marketing.

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...e-z06-supercar
Interesting. I do see that they explicitly state or imply that the Z06 is engineered, designed, and built for track use and competition.

How bad can Z06 owners fuck up their car before Chevy will refuse to fix something? Suppose I can't drive stick for crap, if I trash the clutch or synchros at the track, does Chevy honor* the warranty?

Last edited by mazeroni; 08-08-2017 at 01:42 PM.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #47
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Interesting. I do see that they explicitly state or imply that the Z06 is engineered, designed, and built for track use and competition.

How bad can Z06 owners fuck up their car before Chevy will refuse to fix something? Suppose I can't drive stick for crap, if I trash the clutch or synchros at the track, does Chevy owner the warranty?
The marketing, engineering and warranty departments may not all agree on what the car can and can not be used for and still covered by warranty.
People tend to think of the business as a few people that have offices next door to each other so that they effectively communicate their plans and goals for the vehicle. It isn't like that. The different departments may not even have a clue what the others are doing or saying.
Chronology (08-08-2017), Dadhawk (08-08-2017), mazeroni (08-08-2017), OND (08-08-2017), strat61caster (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 02:24 PM   #48
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
How bad can Z06 owners fuck up their car before Chevy will refuse to fix something? Suppose I can't drive stick for crap, if I trash the clutch or synchros at the track, does Chevy honor* the warranty?
This is why I tell people that are worried about warranty to treat their interactions w/ the dealer as a business transaction.

You gotta give the dealer a reason to back you up and help your case out. Level-headed discussions and a willingness to work with them on resolving your situation often lead to a favorable outcome for the customer (and the dealer, since they get reimbursed).

If one goes out guns blazing and/or just throw it directly on the dealer/manufacturer, their borderline warranty claim won't even make it past the service manager.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
mazeroni (08-08-2017), mrg666 (08-08-2017), Tcoat (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 02:33 PM   #49
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
This is why I tell people that are worried about warranty to treat their interactions w/ the dealer as a business transaction.

You gotta give the dealer a reason to back you up and help your case out. Level-headed discussions and a willingness to work with them on resolving your situation often lead to a favorable outcome for the customer (and the dealer, since they get reimbursed).

If one goes out guns blazing and/or just throw it directly on the dealer/manufacturer, their borderline warranty claim won't even make it past the service manager.

-alex
^This is so true!
I bet I could take my car out to the track (I don't but if I did) and the service manager would send a tech to help me out while there. I have zero doubt that if I had had a warranty claim it would be done with zero questions asked. In fact although well out of warranty at this point I bet I could get some goodwill repairs done if anything actually ever broke.
mazeroni (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 02:47 PM   #50
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:

Doesn't matter what the advertisements/marketing says, what matters is what the warranty says. This is directly from the GM warranty applicable to all vehicles.

Notice that it is not limited to "racing" but any type of competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Warranty
Damage Due to Accident, Misuse, or Alteration

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover damage caused as a result of the following:

•Collision, fire, theft, freezing, vandalism, riot, explosion, or objects striking the vehicle.
•Misuse of the vehicle such as driving over curbs, overloading, racing, or other competition. Proper Vehicle use is discussed in the Owner’s Manual.
•Alteration, modification, or tampering to the vehicle, including, but not limited to the body, chassis, powertrain, driveline, software, or other components after final assembly by GM.
•Coverages do not apply if the odometer has been disconnected, its reading has been altered, or mileage cannot be determined.
•Installation of non-GM (General Motors) parts.
•Water or fluid contamination.
•Damage resulting from hail, floods, windstorms, lightning, and other environmental conditions.
•Alteration of glass parts by application of tinting films.

Important: This warranty is void on vehicles currently or previously titled as salvage scrapped, junked, or otherwise considered a total loss.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
mazeroni (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #51
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Doesn't matter what the advertisements/marketing says, what matters is what the warranty says.
But I wanna make a YouTube channel for likes and evidence gathering! Who cares what legal paperwork means!
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Cole (08-10-2017), Dadhawk (08-08-2017), mazeroni (08-08-2017), mrg666 (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #52
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Adding to my note above, I looked at the 2017 Corvette owners manual.

Page 164 talks specifically about track use, and outlines some of the requirements for it, as does page 205.

Quote:
Track Events and Competitive Driving Participating in track events or other competitive driving without following the instructions provided may affect the vehicle warranty. See the warranty manual before using the
vehicle for racing or other competitive driving.

Refer to Competitive Driving Mode 0 205.
Be sure to follow all service procedures before driving the vehicle at track events or competitively.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
mazeroni (08-08-2017), strat61caster (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 03:06 PM   #53
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Sue the dealer not Mr. "T".

By the way a NEW trans is under 6k

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...003-04329.html
Attached Images

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #54
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post

By the way a NEW trans is under 6k

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...003-04329.html
+ Shipping
Old 08-08-2017, 03:09 PM   #55
stevesnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
+ Shipping
Not if you get it delivered to the dealer and pick it up. That's the way I buy my OEM parts.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
The Following User Says Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 03:14 PM   #56
stevesnj

Fourth gear and sychro
Attached Images

My 2016 Build thread

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-08-2017), strat61caster (08-08-2017)

Tags
entitlementsyndrome, grind, help me, synchro, transmission, warranty