follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-05-2020, 02:59 AM   #1
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Am I running any risk by leaving bottom of front bumper unattached?

I home installed a front splitter and am unable to access any of the push scew/ bolt holes to reattach to my front bumper on the bottom of the car.

My only drill bit is dulled and due to having aftermarket side markers wired- taking off the front bumper and moving it more than 1 ft away from the car is impossible which meant attaching the splitter was an absolute nightmare.

Now- am I at any risk by leaving the car as it is? All the side/ top bolts and push screws are in, and the bumper feels sturdy with the front splitter also firmly attached. My cars ride height is stock and not lowered in anyway.

Does anyone else leave the bottom screws out for bumper removal convenience and am I safe/ not at risk of the bumper popping off? I find it hard to believe if I was to hit anything that a few plastic push screws and 2 bolts are going to make a difference anyway.

Thanks
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:39 AM   #2
KungFuWaffle

Drives: Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
I home installed a front splitter and am unable to access any of the push scew/ bolt holes to reattach to my front bumper on the bottom of the car.

My only drill bit is dulled and due to having aftermarket side markers wired- taking off the front bumper and moving it more than 1 ft away from the car is impossible which meant attaching the splitter was an absolute nightmare.

Now- am I at any risk by leaving the car as it is? All the side/ top bolts and push screws are in, and the bumper feels sturdy with the front splitter also firmly attached. My cars ride height is stock and not lowered in anyway.

Does anyone else leave the bottom screws out for bumper removal convenience and am I safe/ not at risk of the bumper popping off? I find it hard to believe if I was to hit anything that a few plastic push screws and 2 bolts are going to make a difference anyway.

Thanks
I've been running my APR CF front splitter for about 3 years now with no issues with leaving the bottom unclipped. I've scrapped many things from being lowered and never had any issues, if anything you might have the part of the bumper stick out from under the headlight which leads to the infamous "sagging" issue. A solution would to be installing quick latch buttons on the bumpers so they won't sag anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to KungFuWaffle For This Useful Post:
Sam86 (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 11:43 PM   #3
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuWaffle View Post
I've been running my APR CF front splitter for about 3 years now with no issues with leaving the bottom unclipped. I've scrapped many things from being lowered and never had any issues, if anything you might have the part of the bumper stick out from under the headlight which leads to the infamous "sagging" issue. A solution would to be installing quick latch buttons on the bumpers so they won't sag anymore.
Thanks for the reassurance, haven't ran into any issues yet either aside from the sidemarkers being a little looser than normal (but not to the point they're popping out). Don't like the look of the quick latch so hope it doesn't come to that. My current bumper gap isn't noticeable but suspect I may not be as fortunate with my next bumper removal to install new headlights.
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote