follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2015, 01:54 AM   #29
Ruckus

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockatoo View Post
Mini review

Fit and Finish: Unit arrived in perfect shape from China. Quality seems very good especially for the price. I don't think the features can be beat for the price particularly if you want to be running Android.

Install: Straight forward, just like installing any other aftermarket unit. Had a little trouble with Beatsonic kit mounting straight but was fine once unit was fully installed.

Performance: definitely one of the better performing Android units I've experienced, gpu could be a little better, but not necessary. Touch screen is responsive and operates as expected. Side capacitive buttons work great.

Sound: great! waaay better than the OEM unit, the OEM unit has too much sound processing and distorts relatively easy. Granted I'm using aftermarket amp /speakers. Actually FM radio for some reason sounds way better... less noise and better perceived sound quality.

Connectivity: WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, OEM USB, and Rydeen Duo backup camera all work great and as expected. The unit has several RCA connections for audio in and video in.

I would highly recommend this unit for anyone looking for the Android experience or really just a better experience than alot of aftermarket units can deliver at this time. This unit hit all the points I was looking for and I don't mind not having any physical buttons.

Did your fit kit come the coaxial jacks to run wires to your amp? Or did you have to hook up a hi-low converter?
Old 01-11-2015, 08:07 AM   #30
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
Did your fit kit come the coaxial jacks to run wires to your amp? Or did you have to hook up a hi-low converter?
What? The head unit comes with one set of RCA pre outs to hook up an amp.
Cockatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:23 AM   #31
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It has a standby time of 2 hours... Cold boot time is 15 to 20 seconds. Not too bad... Hopefully in the future firmware tweaks can be made to lengthen the standby time because the draw is not that much
15 seconds is about the same as stock, no? That's not too bad. But 2 hours is pretty short for standby. 2 days would be ideal.

What's the deal with that box that you can take out of the HU, how's that work?

I think this has potential, but needs a lot of kinks worked out first.

I read about the inability to have audio coming from multiple apps - that would be a huge downside for me as I would need navigation as well as music streaming to work simultaneously. I'm hopeful the devs can address that and some of the other issues listed on XDA.
Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:54 AM   #32
Ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
15 seconds is about the same as stock, no? That's not too bad. But 2 hours is pretty short for standby. 2 days would be ideal.

What's the deal with that box that you can take out of the HU, how's that work?

I think this has potential, but needs a lot of kinks worked out first.

I read about the inability to have audio coming from multiple apps - that would be a huge downside for me as I would need navigation as well as music streaming to work simultaneously. I'm hopeful the devs can address that and some of the other issues listed on XDA.
Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The box is the actual android unit. It's pretty cool. With it being separate like that it's easier to hook up to a pc and update. Plus there is a hdmi out on it in case you ever wanted to hook it up to a tv. Which could be useful if you do a lot of traveling.

I just installed the head unit and the sound quality is leaps and bounds above stock!
Old 01-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #33
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The box is the actual android unit. It's pretty cool. With it being separate like that it's easier to hook up to a pc and update. Plus there is a hdmi out on it in case you ever wanted to hook it up to a tv. Which could be useful if you do a lot of traveling.

I just installed the head unit and the sound quality is leaps and bounds above stock!
How do you control the box when it's plugged into HDMI? What's the input mechanism?
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:02 AM   #34
Ruckus

Quote:
What? The head unit comes with one set of RCA pre outs to hook up an amp.
Yea I was wondering if that is what we are supposed to use. I need at least two channels so I went ahead and purchased the Audio control lc7i for future expandability. I'll try and put it in the stock amp location. Did you have a few connectors that didn't get hooked up from the stock stereo? Any idea wtf they are? I had 2. I fairly large connector that was plugged into the drivers side of the stereo and a little square one which I'm assuming is the stock mic.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:50 AM   #35
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Quote:
Yea I was wondering if that is what we are supposed to use. I need at least two channels so I went ahead and purchased the Audio control lc7i for future expandability. I'll try and put it in the stock amp location. Did you have a few connectors that didn't get hooked up from the stock stereo? Any idea wtf they are? I had 2. I fairly large connector that was plugged into the drivers side of the stereo and a little square one which I'm assuming is the stock mic.
My 4 channel amp has built in stereo mode that only needs one set of RCAs and copies it to the other 2 channels.

The larger connector (28 pin) I believe is for GPS, etc. The smaller one I think you are referring to is the 3.5mm input by the USB.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cockatoo For This Useful Post:
Ruckus (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #36
Ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
How do you control the box when it's plugged into HDMI? What's the input mechanism?
Something like this I would imagine. http://www.pcworld.com/article/26838...ces-alike.html
Old 02-15-2015, 05:05 AM   #37
regg4e

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have the same headunit in my BRZ. So far everything works fine. But i have a problrm with the illumination of the keys on the left side. Has anyone the same problem? Is there a special wire that i have to connect? I see that there is a orange wire named "illu". Do i have to connect this? And where?
regg4e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #38
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by regg4e View Post
I have the same headunit in my BRZ. So far everything works fine. But i have a problrm with the illumination of the keys on the left side. Has anyone the same problem? Is there a special wire that i have to connect? I see that there is a orange wire named "illu". Do i have to connect this? And where?
Yes, there is a corresponding wire on the OEM side.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:00 AM   #39
regg4e

Quote:
Yes, there is a corresponding wire on the OEM side.
Could you please tell me which one it is? Maybe with a picture? that would be great!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #40
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by regg4e View Post
Could you please tell me which one it is? Maybe with a picture? that would be great!
Attach the Orange (Illum) wire on the unit to the OEM side: 10 PIN connector, PIN #10 (Purple)
Old 03-08-2015, 04:37 PM   #41
regg4e

Quote:
Attach the Orange (Illum) wire on the unit to the OEM side: 10 PIN connector, PIN #10 (Purple)
Thank you very much! It worked!
Old 03-08-2015, 09:32 PM   #42
eggncheese

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
How does the GPS work? That would be my main motivation for purchasing it. Also $100 for shipping? Cmon now
eggncheese is offline   Reply With Quote