follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-11-2014, 01:39 AM   #71
labskaus

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

labskaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to labskaus For This Useful Post:
Shankenstein (03-18-2015)
Old 03-15-2015, 05:42 AM   #72
winsometang

Drives: Scion F-RS 2013 Asphalt MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by labskaus View Post

how did you remove the headliner?
winsometang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:02 AM   #73
labskaus

Just removed the interior light and the knobs at the rear windows and the b/c-pillar The rest will be held by the ribbon on the side.

Just be carefull not to bend it (then it is broken)
Old 04-02-2015, 07:33 PM   #74
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I just bought 36 feet of Stinger Expert Roadkill.
@labskaus, is there any reason you didnt do the sheet metal of your trunk lid? That's what I imagine needs the most coverage, in my case at least. Rear deck and rear-view mirror are also big problems for me.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:36 AM   #75
labskaus

As you can see on the picture, i have on the left and right Subwoofer and additional batterie. on the back is some foam, so no need to do anything. The Rear deck is damped too, also the licenceplate.

The rear panel sehelf only got some foam to prevent rattling. the rear seat is always open, so the subwoofer can work free.

In competition the car stnds still, so I concentrate on that while damping the car.

The weight in total is 1320kg with full tank and most of teh weight is laying deep in the car
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2015, 08:24 AM   #76
babydriver
Hit the road and I'm gone

Drives: 2015 FR-S Burnt Orange (Hot Lava)
Thanked 1,786 Times in 973 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by labskaus View Post
As you can see on the picture, i have on the left and right Subwoofer and additional batterie. on the back is some foam, so no need to do anything. The Rear deck is damped too, also the licenceplate.

The rear panel sehelf only got some foam to prevent rattling. the rear seat is always open, so the subwoofer can work free.

In competition the car stnds still, so I concentrate on that while damping the car.

The weight in total is 1320kg with full tank and most of teh weight is laying deep in the car
That is a big damn pair of amplifiers. What's your RMS power rating?
Old 04-04-2015, 12:08 PM   #77
labskaus

DLS Ultimate A3 - 2 x 150 W (http://dls.se/en/car/prod.html?produkt=en_1036)
DLS Ultimate A7 - 4 x 60 W + 300 W RMS (http://dls.se/en/car/prod.html?produkt=en_1040)

All speakes running at 4Ohm and these are real Watt with a high dampingfactor
Old 04-05-2015, 01:12 AM   #78
Wolfdogelite

Drives: 2013 SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moletheus View Post
GT-Mat works very well and is cheaper than the others. I just picked up a second roll of 80mil.
I'm about to order some of their GTmat Onyx, as I've heard the asphalt based stuff can have an odor. Especially in a climate like SoCal, where it's hot 90% of the year.
Did you pick up the normal stuff? Does it have any noticeable odor? and how hard is it to work with?
Wolfdogelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:56 AM   #79
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfdogelite View Post
I'm about to order some of their GTmat Onyx, as I've heard the asphalt based stuff can have an odor. Especially in a climate like SoCal, where it's hot 90% of the year.
Did you pick up the normal stuff? Does it have any noticeable odor? and how hard is it to work with?
FWIW, I went back and forth with this for about 2 weeks and ended up with Stinger Expert Roadkill. I originally planned to go with FatMat, then GTMat, then Roadkill, back to GTMat, and then back to Roadkill. Stinger Expert Roadkill has solid reviews all over the internet and even on the car audio boards people had nothing but good things to say about it. The same was not true about the asphalt stuff like GTMat and Fat Mat. Some say fatmat\gtmat works fine, while others say to stay away. I bought a 36 st\ft pack from Amazon for $95 and a roller for $7 or so.

Mat:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Roller:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The package came in and there is no odor at all:
Old 04-05-2015, 12:11 PM   #80
Wolfdogelite

Drives: 2013 SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
That's why I chose the Onyx stuff from GTmat, it's their version of the true butyl rubber cld, only their cheap stuff uses asphalt. The only real reason I decided on that over stinger was the pack size. I don't plan to do the whole car and couldn't even find anyone else I knew who would be interested having any put in their car, so a 36sqft pack seemed like a waste. Looking back, the value is much better, three times the material for double the price, and the promise of all those great reviews. Maybe I will just splurge.
Wolfdogelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:03 AM   #81
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
I think after doing the doors and trunk you shouldn't have too much leftover. If you do, just use the leftover to do under the back seats and rear quarter.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:54 PM   #82
Thobjo

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Anyone try spraydead ?
Thobjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #83
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL

Drives: Specialized Hardrock
Well, I guess this is the best place to first post this, since its a site reference thread for deadening.

I'm new here. I don't have my 86 yet, but have lurked through a lot of information and figured I should pay it forward on the subject of my expertise.

If you have ever been to DIYMA, you might be aware that I have been objectively testing vibration damping materials for a while now. I'm hoping to finish up by the new year and post full results, but this will serve as a teaser of sorts.

This is going to ruffle some feathers, but subjective opinions of the performance of damping materials are pretty much useless. No offense meant towards anyone, but it is a fact. In order to post a useful subjective review, one would need to have SEVERAL materials on hand, and use them in a controlled environment to determine effectiveness. Even then, ears can easily be tricked. A product that works well at high frequencies may be horrible at low frequencies that effect bass response, but your ears wouldn't know it.

My test set up uses REW, and a calibrated measurement microphone to get data. The test panel is 16 gauge steel, a 12"x12" sheet clamped on all sides with an 11"x11" exposed area. The panel is excited by a pair of 7" speakers, which are sealed off on both front and back from the room. I will dig through photobucket a little later or tomorrow to find the set up pictures.

For now, here are the results of a few products that seem to be popular here.

This is GTMat's 80mil product. It is asphalt based, and does have a smell. It is a modified asphalt, but still not one I would trust to withstand heat on the roof, which is one of the most important parts of the car to use vibration damping on.

It performs below what I would consider acceptable.

This is Stinger Roadkill Expert. A very heavy product, but butyl based, with minimal smell, and acceptable heat tolerance.

It is at the bottom end of what I would consider acceptable. I would not personally use this as there are better performing AND lighter products.

Next up is Dynamat Xtreme. This is before the product changed to black foil, I am unaware at this time if the change affected performance. The silver product is the LIGHTEST product that gives decent results. This is THE product you want to use for a lightweight sports car, if weight is important to you. Nothing lighter than this product performs well enough to spend money on, period.

This is KnuKonceptz Kolossus. It is the current budget leader for all out performance. It is within a hair of the absolute top performer that has a heat resistance great enough to use in a car. It is heavy. That said, 25% coverage of this product performs better than 100% coverage of peel n seal, at the same total weight.

More to come
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (09-25-2018), Calum (09-02-2015), Crazypinoy9 (09-02-2015), DAEMANO (09-02-2015), johan (10-23-2015), ort895 (11-02-2015), ravisraval (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 06:52 PM   #84
ravisraval

Drives: 2013 FRS
Excited to see your complete results!
ravisraval is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ravisraval For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-06-2015)