follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #15
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp View Post
I thought the CRZ was pretty big in the US especially for those people into track events? Lots of people modding CRZ's etc.

I wonder if the Mugen model will make it to Australia. Doubt it though as I've hardly seen any CRZ's around Melbourne. Doesn't seem to be much of a market here. Must be the $40k price tag on it though...
I have not seen anyone one talking about tracking a CRZ and have only seen 1 around my area
Old 04-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #16
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
I've seen a few here but I just don't understand a tiny hybrid like that only getting 37mpg. The Fit gets 35mpg without being a hybrid! And no I haven't driven one, but I've heard they're not nearly as sporty as they're made out to be. Credit to Honda for trying to make a sporty hybrid, but they're not there yet. Maybe the Mugen version will help!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #17
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Think of the hybrid system as giving you a little more power and regen braking capability, it's the same gas engine attached, rather than just an mpg booster. People think you buy a hybrid to save the environment, but it has tangible performance benefits (that haven't been fully exploited yet, aside from Lexus with their ridiculously overpowered luxo-hybrid-tanks).

If they just sold the CRZ in the US with a supercharger as standard, I think they would've gotten a lot more sales rofl.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #18
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Think of the hybrid system as giving you a little more power and regen braking capability, it's the same gas engine attached, rather than just an mpg booster. People think you buy a hybrid to save the environment, but it has tangible performance benefits (that haven't been fully exploited yet, aside from Lexus with their ridiculously overpowered luxo-hybrid-tanks).

If they just sold the CRZ in the US with a supercharger as standard, I think they would've gotten a lot more sales rofl.
I understand the instant tq from the motors is great but I would not consider a hybrid a performance plus considering all the weight the batteries bring.

You would have to make a pretty dedicated track car gutted stripped weight reduced to off set that. I mean had Honda just dropped in a k20/k24 we could of gotten a quick nimble car that still most likely get great mpg
Old 04-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #19
86fanatic

Drives: auto
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The CRZ is actually pretty light at something like 2650 pounds - lighter then the FRS/BRZ.

I would say it's just a suspension tweak or two away from really having a true toss-able character, but as a starting point it's actually almost there.

Saying the Fit gets a little lower highway mileage while not being a hybrid is the wrong way to look at it in my opinion. The CRZ is faster, sportier, more refined, AND gets better mileage - significantly so in the city and the combined ratings.
86fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #20
blacknbean
Butterscotch Boss

Drives: 335i
my integra was lighter and had more hp and still i couldnt get over the fwd. dont see how this will be any better than my integra and especially not better than a light rwd car with lsd. if they are priced the same in the uk its a no brainer for the gt86. in the US, luckily we dont have a even think about this comparison.
blacknbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:45 AM   #21
ajc209

Drives: GT86 Cosworth
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknbean View Post
my integra was lighter and had more hp and still i couldnt get over the fwd. dont see how this will be any better than my integra and especially not better than a light rwd car with lsd. if they are priced the same in the uk its a no brainer for the gt86. in the US, luckily we dont have a even think about this comparison.
Sadly people are always going to consider other inferior FWD car to the toyota GT86.

For a start, the MPG is 36 vs 40+ from the VAG group 2.0TSI engines and now toyota uk have published a rather modest 0-100kmh of 7.6 Sec vs the sub 7sec times for the TT,Rocco,Gti,A3 ect...

For the uneducated whom want a "pretty" car that goes fast for less than £30k they will not be able to tell the difference. Last time I looked, the Toyota UK website didnt even mention its RWD!!!!!!!

Maybe its a marketing thing whereby they hold back key information to keep demand under control. Perhaps later in the year they'll start talking 50:50 weight distribution and RWD.
ajc209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #22
86fanatic

Drives: auto
Seems like this car is pretty hated on both sides of the pond

I guess I'm the only one that thought it was decent. Have you guys hating on this car actually driven it? It's much different then an Integra, the hybrid system gives plenty of torque early for a pretty sporty feel. I could imagine with a supercharger that the iCF adds delivering top end, this could be a pretty fun package.
86fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #23
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
I have not seen anyone one talking about tracking a CRZ and have only seen 1 around my area
I'm seen a number of CRZs on track. Depends on where you go/live I guess.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #24
suprachica79

Drives: free Hyundai, 2006 Kawasaki ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I'm seen a number of CRZs on track. Depends on where you go/live I guess.
I have seen many CR-Zs around as well. I don't go to the track but I see them on my highway commute probably once a day. I still think they could have done A LOT more with it but I want to test drive one for gits and shiggles just to see what it's like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
Reminds me that I need to work on finding a JDM girlfriend, or maybe JDM modified for US use as I don't think I could learn Japanese.
suprachica79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #25
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post

^Agreed

Also, have any of you guys seen/read about the new Acura NSX?
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #26
dori.
Señor Member

Drives: white BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I have a CR-Z as a daily. It's nice (especially considering what I paid for it) but it's either being sold or traded in for the BRZ (natch). I just miss driving an FR car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRZ415 View Post
The CR-Z is indeed unique ... i've only seen 2 thus far ...
if it had not a battery and back seats ... it would sell so much more...
the car does come with a back seat in Japan... but believe me when I tell you that you don't want to sit back there. You'd have to have no legs and half a head to fit in the rear of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
I've seen a few here but I just don't understand a tiny hybrid like that only getting 37mpg. The Fit gets 35mpg without being a hybrid! And no I haven't driven one, but I've heard they're not nearly as sporty as they're made out to be. Credit to Honda for trying to make a sporty hybrid, but they're not there yet. Maybe the Mugen version will help!
Fuck the EPA ratings. The best I ever got in the car was 39.5 mpg, and now that the weather's nicer I'm getting averages around 38. (this also convinces me that I can squeeze more than the 30 highway out of the BRz)

Keep in mind that the car has 3 driving modes (Normal/Sport/Econ). It's possible that the EPA only tested in normal. I got my numbers in Normal because the car is unbearably slow in Econ mode. But I'm sure you can hit 40+ if you can stand to keep it in Econ.

Is the car as a sporty as advertised? Well, kind of? I really think the only thing lacking from the car is about 30 or 40 hp, which this Mugen car seems to do.
I like the chassis balance. I liken it to being almost as good as a Mini.
dori. is offline   Reply With Quote