follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-29-2015, 10:48 AM   #29
kiichiro
corolla specs/GTR looks

Drives: ooh oooh pretty tail lights
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyo View Post
4.56 final drive swap if you have a manual makes a world of difference.
...gonna buy a 3rd BRZ and if and when it happens this is all I will do,in addition to some mild street suspension, nothing more,not less

next one will be blue
That was fun, thanks Hachi
kiichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kiichiro For This Useful Post:
kodyo (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 10:48 AM   #30
cslntuee

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I saw the Amuse Powerhouse exhaust dyno result which can increase 30hp.
Is that real (true)?
How do you think?
Thanks.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGWXSqiLHXU#t=56"]ホットバージョン Vol.116 (Hot-Version Vol.116) - YouTube[/ame] @56 seconds
Attached Images

cslntuee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #31
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslntuee View Post
How do you think about GrimmSpeed's post as below?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=69

Thanks again.
If you are going to make such simplistic arguements, how about just resorting to this one:

IF the factory torsional damper is NOT required, WHY wouldnt they just use a cheaper billet Aluminum pulley?
Since clearly manufacturing a Cast steel, three piece, machined pulley, that requires assembly is MORE expensive than a CNC machined billet Al. pulley?

And in a car where the engineers worked very hard to shed every single pound possible, WHY would they choose the heavier option?

MAYBE because it is a torsional damper, and not just a pulley?
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:12 PM   #32
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiichiro View Post
...gonna buy a 3rd BRZ and if and when it happens this is all I will do,in addition to some mild street suspension, nothing more,not less

next one will be blue
Seriously, this is the easiest way to make the car feel faster and it's about $1k to do. Yet few people actually do it it would seem. They'd rather spend $2k on an exhaust/tune
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kodyo For This Useful Post:
kiichiro (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 01:31 PM   #33
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
ELECTRICSUPERCHARGER
Not sure if serious.

I love my Phantom ESC built by @Robftss and tuned by @Shiv@Openflash. It's great.

N.A. performance
Still the OP did say that he didn't want F.I. If he wants to stay N.A. This post is definitely the best route for him (+30 WHP for $1-$2k on e85). A side note, On a N.A. '86 a LWCP and intake are pretty well known to be a waste of money in the early game.

F.I. performance
I will say that for $2k there is not another mod for this car that comes close to my Phantom ESC running Shiv's e85 OpenFlash Tablet tune ($2200-$2300 total installed). Especially with the most recent partial throttle upgrades, the mid-range torque is phenomenal. 0-60 or even 0-80 most Stg.1 (producing 7-10 lbs of boost) traditional supercharger kits would either be on par or behind my car while costing a lot more to buy and install. This is mostly due to the way that traditional F.I. power (most importantly torque) output parasitically tied to engine speed or exhaust gas pressure. With an ESC's discreet 24v electric motor, max torque is available immediately. Same reason why Ferrari, McClaren, and Porsche are all using electric motors to "torque fill" their most expensive cars.

We're both in SoCal, so I'd be glad to give you a demo ride at one of the meets. If you're interested PM me.

Some numbers... This car @Sojhinn is very similarly prepped to mine (both Vishnu tuned on e85 both minus one cat with an aftermarket catback exhaust and drop-in filter). 223 WHP (@6600 RPM) / 201WTQ (@ 3250 RPM!!) from an older version of the kit.

Green and Blue line - Open flash tablet tuned ESC TQ250-24v, E85, Front pipe and catback

Red and Blue line - Open flash tablet tuned ESC TQ250-24v, 91oct Cali, Front pipe and catback

Brown Yellow line - Stock, 91oct cali, front pipe and catback

DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
brzaapi (02-03-2015), swarb (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 01:44 PM   #34
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Not sure if serious.

I love my Phantom ESC built by @Robftss and tuned by @Shiv@Openflash. It's great.

N.A. performance
Still the OP did say that he didn't want F.I. If he wants to stay N.A. This post is definitely the best route for him (+30 WHP for $1-$2k on e85). A side note, On a N.A. '86 a LWCP and intake are pretty well known to be a waste of money in the early game.

F.I. performance
I will say that for $2k there is not another mod for this car that comes close to my Phantom ESC running Shiv's e85 OpenFlash Tablet tune ($2200-$2300 total installed). Especially with the most recent partial throttle upgrades, the mid-range torque is phenomenal. 0-60 or even 0-80 most Stg.1 (producing 7-10 lbs of boost) traditional supercharger kits would either be on par or behind my car while costing a lot more to buy and install. This is mostly due to the way that traditional F.I. power (most importantly torque) output parasitically tied to engine speed or exhaust gas pressure. With an ESC's discreet 24v electric motor, max torque is available immediately. Same reason why Ferrari, McClaren, and Porsche are all using electric motors to "torque fill" their most expensive cars.

We're both in SoCal, so I'd be glad to give you a demo ride at one of the meets. If you're interested PM me.

Some numbers... This car @Sojhinn is very similarly prepped to mine (both Vishnu tuned on e85 both minus one cat with an aftermarket catback exhaust and drop-in filter). 223 WHP (@6600 RPM) / 201WTQ (@ 3250 RPM!!) from an older version of the kit.

Green and Blue line - Open flash tablet tuned ESC TQ250-24v, E85, Front pipe and catback

Red and Blue line - Open flash tablet tuned ESC TQ250-24v, 91oct Cali, Front pipe and catback

Brown Yellow line - Stock, 91oct cali, front pipe and catback

It's an amazing system and I strongly recommend it. If you are anywhere near San Diego I would gladly give you a ride.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:05 PM   #35
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslntuee View Post
I saw the Amuse Powerhouse exhaust dyno result which can increase 30hp.
Exhaust from factory are NEVER that restrictive to the engine. Im willing to bet 100% full exhaust (header, overpipe, frontpipe, catback) with a tune.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
cslntuee (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 03:28 PM   #36
Captain Snooze
Because compromise

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,317 Times in 4,120 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 Camaro SS View Post
I was being flippant/sarcastic
Same arguments, no resolution.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
2016 Camaro SS (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 03:58 PM   #37
rx3

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSnooze
Where have I read this discussion before?
Here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=928109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash
Back in the late 90s we released a lightweight underdrive pulley for the EJ25 in the Impreza 2.5RS. I was lucky enough to have a customer who works in the NVH department at Rousch. He tested the engine for harmonics with the stock pulley and our pulley (no harmonic damper) only to find that the stock pulley moved the major harmonics above 7500rpm where it would otherwise be at 7000rpm. It wasn't a big deal for us since we rev limited that engine to 6900rpm.
I'm glad you brought this up, since I was wondering about it.
However, the 2 liter engine does have less stroke. So, the major harmonics may possibly be higher than the rev-limit.

Quote:
And no, no engine is "balanced" to the point where it is free of 1st, 2nd and 3rd order harmonics.
I woudn't disagree, but I think the rotary engines with their fat stubby eccentric shaft at least don't use any dampeners.
rx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:03 PM   #38
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx3 View Post
Here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=928109

I'm glad you brought this up, since I was wondering about it.
However, the 2 liter engine does have less stroke. So, the major harmonics may possibly be higher than the rev-limit.

I woudn't disagree, but I think the rotary engines with their fat stubby eccentric shaft at least don't use any dampeners.
I'm pretty sure RX8 have harmonic balancers.
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:10 PM   #39
fang_gt86
FR Noob

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Came across this simple article about rotating mass. It gives you idea how rotating mass effects crankshaft, drive shaft and wheels!

http://www.w8ji.com/rotating_mass_acceleration.htm

6MT FR-S Whiteout:OFT- OTS V2 Stage 2 (93oct & E85), Tomei UEL, Invidia OP, JDL UltraQuiet FP, Ark Grip catback, GS hood struts, Perrin Inlet & K&N drop-in
fang_gt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fang_gt86 For This Useful Post:
stugray (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 05:53 PM   #40
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Not sure if serious.
I wasn't at first, as I did not want to be a test mule. But now it looks promising.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 06:06 PM   #41
UtahSleeper

Drives: 80 Corolla 88 Celica Alltrac 13 FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Driveshaft: Same as crank pulley as it's all close to the axis of rotation. Also, I have yet to see a lightweight 2 piece driveshaft (yes they can be made). Keep in mind that a single piece would be far cheaper for them to make, and in a car with very little sound insulation, NVH is not the driving force behind their decision to use a 2-piece. The other obvious reason is driveshaft critical speed...

Flywheel: Now we're talking. Lots of weight and it's far away from the axis of rotation. Downside is that it's harder to replace, makes the car a bit of a pain to daily, and if the car is drag raced, the clutch can weld itself to the steel inserts (on an aluminum flywheel, this is not so much an issue on lightweight steel or cromoly flywheels).
Isn't this reversed? Changing the weight on the crank is what can cause the engine issues, not a driveshaft that is connected to the trans, or do I have this wrong?
UtahSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:13 PM   #42
MikeM7

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhung85 View Post
What is your budget?

Headers
Tune
E85
Crawford BPB
Drop In Filter
Exhaust
Lightweight Crank Pulley
Lightweight Drive Shaft
Lightweight Wheels
Can anyone provide, or provide a link to, a list like this with an estimate of hp gains per mod, preferably with and without openflash tune.

Also, is there a thread anywhere that lists hp per dollar for these types of mods?

I'm kind of in the same boat as OP.. looking for the most bang for the buck, bolt on hp gains. I have OFT, and am leaning towards OFH for my next purchase. I've got K&N drop in, but aside from that and stage 1 tune, rest is cosmetic/protective.

Thanks
MikeM7 is offline   Reply With Quote