follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2017, 11:58 PM   #1
ARTBRZ
Aloha!

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Throwout bearing/clutch fork repair completion time

I took my car in because of my fear of a premature worn throwout bearing. Technician inspection revealed a worn throwout bearing, clutch fork and other parts that I'm not familiar with. The repairs were completed in four weeks time. After driving it off the dealership I noticed a rattling sound in the gear box when taking off from 1st gear. I immediately returned to the delearship and expressed my new concern.

My issue is the time of completion for the repair. Should I be concerned that they have had my car for over 5 weeks for this repair? I don't want to offend anyone at this dealership since it's the only one for miles and I was given a loaner car.

So typically it take 8 hours to replace a clutch from my research. Is this something common that people are experiencing? Is this ridiculous amount of time? At what point should I bring this to the service managers attention?
ARTBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:23 AM   #2
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I'd have respectfully asked about lead time every time I spoke with someone. Nothing wrong with asking. At least there shouldn't be anything wrong with it.

Your assessment of the situation is spot on. Somebody got some 'splaining to do.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:54 AM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yep, if they had all the replacement parts on hand, it shouldn't take a mechanic more than a day to perform that operation.

Now, if they had to order the parts from the mainland (or Japan) and they were shipped by boat ...... ya, waaaay longer.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
ARTBRZ (01-18-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 12:32 AM   #4
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
What did you tell them to get them to inspect it in the first place? My dealership is annoyingly stubborn about it and I know mine needs to be fixed.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:37 AM   #5
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treminaor View Post
What did you tell them to get them to inspect it in the first place? My dealership is annoyingly stubborn about it and I know mine needs to be fixed.
I'm sorry.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:40 AM   #6
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Holy shit Batman, 4 weeks!

I hope you had a free loaner car for all that time, and a huge discount.

A clutch job should take no more than a day, one week if parts needed to be ordered, all the mechanics where sick, and the only one left is a one handed, half blind, wheelchair bound midget, while fighting off packs of wolfs and mongolanans. But 4 weeks woh, fuck that shit.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
carsebuco (01-20-2017), SLVRSRFR (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 05:07 AM   #7
catsspat

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium MT
Quote:
It's such a BS isn't it? I don't actually trust my local dealer's service department, so I did it myself. Even though it was the first time I did something that big, it only took one day (daytime) to take everything apart, less than 10 minutes to actually deal with the throwout bearing (& Velox Billet Clutch Fork while at it), and then the rest of the second day (daytime) to put everything back together.

As expected, my throwout bearing was gritty, and the snout was dry and had wear marks. It's been about 2 months since I worked on it, and I drove around locally to break in the new clutch (because I replaced it while transmission was down, even though it looked fine), and no problems so far.
catsspat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:12 AM   #8
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsspat View Post
It's such a BS isn't it? I don't actually trust my local dealer's service department, so I did it myself. Even though it was the first time I did something that big, it only took one day (daytime) to take everything apart, less than 10 minutes to actually deal with the throwout bearing (& Velox Billet Clutch Fork while at it), and then the rest of the second day (daytime) to put everything back together.

As expected, my throwout bearing was gritty, and the snout was dry and had wear marks. It's been about 2 months since I worked on it, and I drove around locally to break in the new clutch (because I replaced it while transmission was down, even though it looked fine), and no problems so far.
I would do it myself but I'm concerned I might fuck up my prepaid service contract or warranty if they found out I did.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:38 AM   #9
ARTBRZ
Aloha!

Quote:
I had the same problem initially with the clutch fork noise. It was diagnosed as a normal noise that was coming from the firewall and they could not do anything about it. It was the throwout bearing that initiated the actual inspection. It definitely made a big difference in the smoothness of the clutch pedal. Now I'm just waiting for the other problem to be fixed.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:42 AM   #10
ARTBRZ
Aloha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Holy shit Batman, 4 weeks!

I hope you had a free loaner car for all that time, and a huge discount.

A clutch job should take no more than a day, one week if parts needed to be ordered, all the mechanics where sick, and the only one left is a one handed, half blind, wheelchair bound midget, while fighting off packs of wolfs and mongolanans. But 4 weeks woh, fuck that shit.
Fortunately I have a free loaner car. Not the same as our car though. It's been so long that I actually had dreams that I was driving my car again.

Last edited by ARTBRZ; 01-20-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #11
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTBRZ View Post
Fortunately I have a free loaner car. Not the same as our car though. It's been so long that I actually had dreams that I was driving my car again.
With loaners I don't feel bad about enjoying them a bit more than I would my own cars.

I was given a loaner simply because my local dealer was backed up for 2 days on a compression test for my Forester back when I launched a ringland. They let me take any of the used cars they had because all the loaners were gone. I got to take a TRD'd out Tacoma with Grabber red letters.

I think I must of put a totally unnecessary 400 miles on that thing just enjoying what makes trucks fun...whenever I think about that truck it makes me want one, real bad.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #12
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
4 WEEKS?!

They had my car for 3 DAYS and did the throw-out bearing, clutch fork, pressure plate, AND an oil change...and that's only because they had to wait for a few parts! Otherwise, he said I would have had it back next-day!

Jeez...
Old 01-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #13
Odd
#

Drives: DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Mines 1 week for parts. 1-3 days for the fix. The tech sounded like he was doing three simultaneously on a weekend.

My other question is, how the hell am I driving incorrectly to wear this part out at 25k on the Odo? Been driving manuals my whole life, thank god I had the extended warranty (2014 brz)...
Odd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #14
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Dropped mine off on a Monday for this same repair. They had to order parts. I got it back Wednesday. They replaced the TOB, clutch disk, flywheel and pressure plate. Not sure how they would ever need 5 weeks unless other things happened, or they were waiting on back-ordered parts.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote