follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #15
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones View Post
A power increase is best judged, objectively with a dyno as it has the least number of variables. I never suggested that he uses dyno numbers for bragging rights, but rather to know exactly how much and where he gained power. May want to re-think before you post, why else would all of the top tuners have a dyno?
"Top tuners" use a dyno because they need on to tune efficiently, you cannot tune cars without one safely, yes people do road tune and log, and test and adjust, BUT, you can miss things which can lead to catastrophic engine failure very quickly, or, deal with the law for speeding.

As for dyno's, the same car on the same dyno with the same tune on the same day can and do give varying results.

From my experience from building and tuning multiple platforms I see it all the time.

+ or - variations are seen, the amount is dependent on power levels, but there is a variation on every run.

As for different chassis dynos on different days, my old Skyline would put down anywhere from 380kw to 415kw, same fuel, same tune, just different dyno and day.

That's a 35kw or 8% discrepancy.

Spit balling that: example - a 100kw engine running on different dyno's could read around 96kw or 104kw dependant, and thats if they are calibrated typically.

When I post a reply it is based on prior experience.

Yes, the area under the curve tells a story, but the numbers are only a estimate based of a algorithm.

What do you base your assumption that my statement is incorrect.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote