follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #99
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
I love when people search !

Been talked about multiply times
You meant multiple!
Thanks for your feedback mate.

Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:44 AM   #100
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Seriously, dissing Visconti is just stupid. Unichip works to a certain extent. It has plenty of potential. However, Ecutek is arguably better in most ways, and it gives almost the power of a standalone ECU for a heck of a lot less money.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:00 AM   #101
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Regardless of who is better, it shouldn't be a fight, with anyone bashing the other company's product. Each tune is good for each person's particular car. Some want to get every last bit out of their car, with a large budget. Others want something that can still help get some performance out of the car, but is cheaper, with multiple free maps, and easy to take off the car. One is a full flash, one is a piggyback. Each person wants something different for their car, and both these products are great at what they aim to do. In the end, I would bet that each tune is around the same hp/dollar amount. Visconti is more expensive, but is seeing higher gains. Unichip is cheaper, but still seeing substantial gains. It's up to you to choose what you want to do with that.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to husker741 For This Useful Post:
Hawk77FT (05-06-2013), Sonolin (05-06-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #102
|-Goku-|

Drives: 2011 Civic Si
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@ViscontiTuning View Post
Best tune for your car is definitely Visconti's Ecutek tune. Better performance, better features, no labor or installation charges. And our kit includes the cable and software license so you'll always be able to update to the latest maps and features as they become available - without any added cost!

-Rich
Haven't done much research on the topic, but what about the people that want a custom tune, instead of a "One tune fits all" strategy?
|-Goku-| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #103
oTaGGeDo

Drives: Currently driving a 2013 turbo Tc
Plain an simple unichip = fail had it on my previous car literally a waste of $ saw no power gains at all and there are hardly any tuners period for it unichip offers there standard map this also fails because each car is a little unique regardless if they are the identical make model year etc they aren't the exact same
oTaGGeDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:45 AM   #104
blkwrxwag

Drives: DS FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oTaGGeDo View Post
Plain an simple unichip = fail had it on my previous car literally a waste of $ saw no power gains at all and there are hardly any tuners period for it unichip offers there standard map this also fails because each car is a little unique regardless if they are the identical make model year etc they aren't the exact same
Well, I have the Unichip on my BRZ and it does work. I just took it off to take the car in for service, and drove the car for a few days stock before putting it back on. The differences are very noticeable and it is a big improvement over stock.

Also, there is not one standard map, but many to play around with. If you spend the time to test the maps on your car, you can find one that works to suit your needs.

I think there is a market for both products.
blkwrxwag is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blkwrxwag For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (05-18-2013), Lonewolf (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #105
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Wow people get so opinionated over this issue. I currently have an ECUtek tune, but I picked up a used Unichip to try it. ECUtek probably does work better with the right tune, but I'm not really concerned about squeezing every drop of power I can out of the engine. I like that Unichip would let me play around a little more myself without going back an forth with a pro tuner. I also have the moment of fear everytime I reflash with ECUtek that I'm going to brick my ECU no matter how irrational that fear may be.
HotLeopardMama (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #106
Visconti
Banned

Drives: 05 STi
Thanked 3,188 Times in 1,197 Posts
Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Visconti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk77FT View Post
You meant multiple!
Thanks for your feedback mate.

Come on !! it was Autocorrect
Visconti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #107
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkwrxwag View Post
Well, I have the Unichip on my BRZ and it does work. I just took it off to take the car in for service, and drove the car for a few days stock before putting it back on. The differences are very noticeable and it is a big improvement over stock.

Also, there is not one standard map, but many to play around with. If you spend the time to test the maps on your car, you can find one that works to suit your needs.

I think there is a market for both products.
I agree...it's great to be able to choose what one is looking for instead of being stuck with one choice.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #108
Optimus Prime

Drives: Whiteout 2013 FR-S
I also have the Unichip on my FR-S. Haven't had it on a dyno, nor do I plan to as I won't be going mod crazy for the foreseeable future. It does pass the butt dyno though. Who knows, maybe I'm imagining it, but it feels to have a little more pep. It also eliminated the idle drop I previously experienced -- though admittedly not a big deal.

I'd guess I would've seen bigger gains with ecutek, but for the price and footprint, I'm satisfied with Unichip. That's essentially what it's all about right? Us, the customer, being pleased with the product. I didn't go in to things expecting just a chip and/or tune dropping 0-60 by a second or more. To each their own. The more tuners and options available to us, the better.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #109
zohare

Drives: '13 Firestorm Base AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Wow so much hatred haha. They both cater to different people. To each their own. @Visconti and @unichip jack thanks a ton for everything you've done for the twins(triplets?) And thanks for being incredibly neutral amidst the morons... Both of you have also answered a bunch of rooksauce questions from the likes of people like myself.

To answer the OPs question, think you guys could work together and get the same car on a dyno with each system? Or maybe ask a vendor to do so, that way it's third party. I personally would nominate ft86speedfactory... Just sayin. Idk. Just throwing up ideas. Tired of the arguing. It's like politics... politicians who fight for their party, or cause. What the hell happened to their people? Too many democrats and republicans, not enough US Congressman, US Senators, etc

Sorry for OT a bit there... I really want to see the OPs question answered. Regardless of features or price. The meat and potatoes. We can read about the features and crap and make decisions. Throw em in the ring!

Last edited by zohare; 05-20-2013 at 01:48 PM. Reason: OT
zohare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zohare For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #110
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
My long term opinion on the subject: Haven't owned ECUtek so can't really comment but the gains are there for Unichip although it won't be as ridiculous as people seem to claim tuning will do. It was really obvious the engine was different when I took off the Unichip to take it in for service; after driving my car for a day without the Unichip it became obvious that it definitely helped throughout the entire powerband. Like others have said I wouldn't say its worth 4-500 dollars but if you can get it for ~300 like many did in the initial sale it's worth it.

If you want a simple solution till you are out of warranty I would say it's definitely a good route to choose. Then in the future if you want to go FI or go more aggressive you can sell the Unichip and get a permanent flash and not have to worry about warranty issues after its out of the time.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #111
zohare

Drives: '13 Firestorm Base AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
My long term opinion on the subject: Haven't owned ECUtek so can't really comment but the gains are there for Unichip although it won't be as ridiculous as people seem to claim tuning will do. It was really obvious the engine was different when I took off the Unichip to take it in for service; after driving my car for a day without the Unichip it became obvious that it definitely helped throughout the entire powerband. Like others have said I wouldn't say its worth 4-500 dollars but if you can get it for ~300 like many did in the initial sale it's worth it.

If you want a simple solution till you are out of warranty I would say it's definitely a good route to choose. Then in the future if you want to go FI or go more aggressive you can sell the Unichip and get a permanent flash and not have to worry about warranty issues after its out of the time.
I agree ^^ It's a good simple solution and excellent for people who want to just plug and go on their own. Might not be the MOST effective, but people are spending more on catbacks... I know why, I mean I did. But it wasn't for power. If people just want a little extra mmmph that many cars get from an exhaust, this would probably suffice, and be more effective than an exhaust
zohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #112
2point0

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd WRB
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Now, I don't claim to have any first-hand experience, but I was chatting with the service manager at my dealer and we got to talking about tuning. She and her husband had purchased an 05 STi used and it had been modded and flashed with Ecutek, but the mods were removed and not the tune.

According to her, the ECU was useless at that point becuase they could not reflash it with anything at the dealership. The only option was to replace the ECU.

So, maybe you can flash back to stock, but is that only an option for the person who bought the kit (license, cable, etc)?

Not trying to prove anyone right/wrong, I'm curious about the validity of the story.
2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote