follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #85
Walla Walla
Hicas Thread Basher

Drives: Subaru BRZ 13, Hyundai Genesis 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
Every auto insurance policy has an exclusion in the fine print excluding "exhibitions of speed" sometimes they even use the words "premeditated exhibition of speed" . Either way is exactly what he was doing. whether its a burn out, a drag race in the street or a track day. If the police had seen him, that is likely what the ticket would say. If he had gotten a ticket with that written on it, the insurance company would not have paid the claim. Whatever story the insurance was told is obviously falsification and is just one more data point that will justify the insurance industry raising rates as they gather "experience" with this new model. He'll pay the price anyway in his future rates, but the only one who will win in the future is the insurance industry. The honest thing to do would have been to have it repaired himself.
i agree that he should have told the truth...

but as for insurance, my experience is based in Quebec, Canada, in wich you would have to prove that the driver was racing with someone else, or was on a closed track, wich ain't the case in this accident. if not, you have to prove that he did it voluntary.

but in qc, we pay for everything... even drunken drivers who get injured in car accident get's indemnity for the rest of their life...
maybe in usa it is not exactly the same!
Walla Walla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #86
Tigranakert

Drives: Hot Lava FRS 2013
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Will someone explain to me how insurance works then? For all I know, all the cars my family and relatives have driven have gone down in insurance costs over time due to no accidents and if gone up, it was due to whatever reason, not being other people crashing that car. I'm talking about more than 30 different car models here... What does my driving have to do with how you drive your car? The cost of repair will raise your insurance? (Rhetorical)

I hope its not the mistake, "its a sports car so the insurance will cost more," because that's nonsense.

Please Explain.
Tigranakert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:42 AM   #87
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigranakert View Post
Will someone explain to me how insurance works then? For all I know, all the cars my family and relatives have driven have gone down in insurance costs over time due to no accidents and if gone up, it was due to whatever reason, not being other people crashing that car. I'm talking about more than 30 different car models here... What does my driving have to do with how you drive your car? The cost of repair will raise your insurance? (Rhetorical)

Please Explain.
Certain models of car are more expensive to insure than other models; you can't compare yourself to JimmyBob in Iowa. Compare yourself to someone VERY similar to yourself (driving record, income, location, etc.) and then look at your insurance costs. Suppose you drove an Evo and comparison person drove a base Honda Civic; your insurance is gonna be hella more expensive. Isolate variables so that the only one that's different is the vehicle and it becomes clear why some cars are more expensive to insure. Yes, some of the more expensive cars to insure are regular every day cars; that is likely because there are SO many of them that the sheer number of accidents makes them expensive to insure. Take a low volume car in comparison (Evo, Mustang GT, etc.) and it's clear why they're more expensive than if you had a different car.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
Tigranakert (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 01:57 AM   #88
Mo707

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
what did you tell your insurance?
And did your rates go up?
Mo707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:11 AM   #89
Tigranakert

Drives: Hot Lava FRS 2013
Thanks, but it is in another area where I have a problem. It is these:

Quote:
And people wonder why insurance rates are high.
Quote:
it's idiots like you that made the rest of us pay higher insurance premiums. You don't deserve to drive this car. get off the road.
I pay for my insurance 2 times a year in a 6 month package.

Now lets say my neighbor Bill who is my same age gets in an accident in the same car. So after the 6 months, my insurance is going to raise my price saying, "You know sir, your neighbor Bill got in an accident and I'm going to raise your costs because of him, even though you did nothing wrong..." ?

Of course Bill alone would not even be considered, I'm just trying to get a point across.
Tigranakert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #90
GerryL

Drives: White BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigranakert View Post

I hope its not the mistake, "its a sports car so the insurance will cost more," because that's nonsense.

Please Explain.
The subtle part of this is that many things effect rates. Those things include the theft risk for the model of car, the costs associated with repairing or replacing that model, the driver's history, the accident rate for that model, the areas of the country where the car is located and a whole slew of others. Yes, if everything stays pretty much the same, the rate will go down as time progresses for a particular owner and a particular car. Because with age, a number of those risks above are reduced, particularly the replacement cost. However, risks asscociated with particular models are always being evaluated by the insurance companies and if they see high losses with a paricular model, the portion of that model's rate associated with the accident rate for that model may increase in the mix. All you really see is less of a decrease in the overall, and you may not even realize it. Meanwhile, someone else getting their new car insurance on that model will also see a higher rate compared to other models. In my case, with five cars on my policy, some drop faster than others and is not hard to tell which ones are seen as risk by the insurance industry. So the subtlety is that it won't go up, but the normal rate that it drops will be less, which is effectively a rate increase as the car ages.
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GerryL For This Useful Post:
Tigranakert (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #91
michaelahess

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ Lim, 2006 Dodge RAM MC
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottopilot View Post
Well, technically all claims relation to the COLLISION clause is the driver's fault.

Bad driver / idiot moves is all the same.
Well technically he knew he was going to break the law, then he did. Insurance has no obligations to cover that. They'd have to prove it, but that's not the point in this case. It's the statistics that suffer and hurt the rest of us.

I hope he did learn his lesson and I hope others reading this may have learned something as well to prevent further "accidents" like this.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #92
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
As I mentioned before, if you're gonna mess around, esp with the VSC off, find an empty parking parking lot to do burnouts. A T interection with low traffic will result in this. As someone else mentioned, it's common sense.
i agree,but i don't engage in mindless "numbass" stunts! that's all i am saying!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmaryt For This Useful Post:
RRnold (12-24-2012)
Old 01-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #93
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylyons1 View Post
True, but defensive driving doesn't help you when your T-boned while waiting at a traffic light or getting hit in a parking lot by a drunk driver. >.<
Keep your brake lights on when stopped at a traffic light, keep eyes concentrated in rear view mirror and keep at least a one-car space from car in front or from white line for possible defensive action. I ride motorcycles and have avoided rear end collisions on several occasions using the above advice. A t-bone while stopped at a traffic light seems to be quite a unique situation altho not knowing the specifics any further comment would not be helpful.

The drunk driver in a parking lot situation is an anomaly to a defensive driver but that's why we all (at least most) have auto insurance.
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #94
rhoyle

Drives: BRZ SWP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZfan View Post
A t-bone while stopped at a traffic light seems to be quite a unique situation altho not knowing the specifics any further comment would not be helpful.
I'm curious as to how someone gets T-Boned while stopped (in a legal position) at a traffic light? I might need a drawing here...
rhoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #95
BRZfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
Fast forward a few years...$100 says several people in this thread will have their own story(if they're brave enough to admit it).
Doggonnit! I'ma gonna go out right now and do something stupid.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #96
BRZfan

Well, I DID go out to try to do something stupid.

I got in my nice new Subaru BRZ with sterling silver metallic paint. It was shiny and recently cleaned up front to back. It had a fresh oil change. I hit the garage door opener switch on the sun visor and the door started to open. With the safety belt snapped in place I reached for the starter to turn the key. "Wait', I thought, "what am I actually going to do?" I thought, and thought and thought. I just couldn't think of anything to do. Maybe it is because I am not stupid. I hit that garage door opener again and it began closing. Time to grab a beer, relax and get some laughs watching some REALLY stupid people on "Judge Judy".
Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #97
Andyx5044

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
a bit harsh but there is a place for that type of driving and its not on the streets.
Andyx5044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #98
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZfan View Post
Doggonnit! I'ma gonna go out right now and do something stupid.
speak for yourself!..in reality,ya can't f**k around on public roads,because of all the a**holes who are NOT paying attention,but i will admit,it's getting tougher to remain accident free these days.too much sh*T goin' down out there!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote