follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 10-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
xia

Drives: 1995 Supra TT & 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Winter Storage

Not sure if this is the right spot. Mods feel free to move.

Anyone have any tips? A couple years ago I stored a Celica with a car cover inside my garage. It had a remote starter so I started the car once a week for a few minutes. Now that I have a pretty new car I kind of want to do this, maybe, the correct way? Idk. I am thinking complete wash, wax, cover with indoor car cover, and possibly leave it on jackstands until March. I dont know if I wanna leave the wheels on because tires will flatten or possibly get damaged over the long sit. What about fluids? Any fellow midwestern want to chime in. Thanks!
xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
Clembo
'Senior' Junior Member

Drives: 13 FR-S,08 Mustang Bullitt,06 MX-5
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not from the midwest but New England's close weather-wise.

Good start with wash and wax. Be sure to fill the gas tank and fresh oil wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't bother with jack stands, the suspension wasn't meant to be hung like that for extended periods. Park with the tires on carpet squares and add about 10 PSI to your tires to prevent flat spotting. Put a note on your steering wheel to reduce the tire pressure before driving. Leave the car in neutral (if a MT) and leave the parking brake off. Chock one wheel in both directions.

It's not good to just start a car and let it run for a few minutes - you'll introduce moisture into the combustion chambers, oil and exhaust (it's a by-product of combustion). You really need to drive it a ways to heat everything sufficiently to evaporate any residual moisture.

Be sure the electrolyte level in the battery is correct (there are markings on the opaque case). Buy and use a battery tender (cheap on Amazon) to keep the battery charged and just leave the car as is until you're ready to drive it again.

The factory antifreeze is good for 10+ years so that shouldn't be a concern unless you've diluted it.

I've done things this way for 40+ years on dozens of collector cars and never had a problem.

"You'll never know if you don't try" - Shinroko Momose
Clembo is offline   Reply With Quote