follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-27-2016, 06:36 AM   #29
maui86

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Night shot of both sides installed.
Parking light mode is just the right amount of lumens (they light up a wall a lane or two away from you). However, the turn signals at night can be improved on. I couldn't even see them on the ground. I'm pretty sure I saw the OEM bulbs flashing on the ground.
Yeah a brighter turn would definitely be welcome with these. Looks like Morimoto is working on some kind of high output Triton competitor that may be what we're looking for, but I believe it'll be a bit (Q2 or later 2017) before they bring it to market.

Looking at the X-VF's, I have a feeling that if they were adjustable like the Tritons, and we could get the "filament" part of the bulb seated at the base of the reflector, that would change things for the better. I may have to test that theory out at some point . . .

BTW TRS is running a 15% discount special that's about to expire (today) just in case you were looking to try any other lights
maui86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maui86 For This Useful Post:
Kaotic Lazagna (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 10:49 AM   #30
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,012 Times in 1,855 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui86 View Post
Yeah a brighter turn would definitely be welcome with these. Looks like Morimoto is working on some kind of high output Triton competitor that may be what we're looking for, but I believe it'll be a bit (Q2 or later 2017) before they bring it to market.

Looking at the X-VF's, I have a feeling that if they were adjustable like the Tritons, and we could get the "filament" part of the bulb seated at the base of the reflector, that would change things for the better. I may have to test that theory out at some point . . .

BTW TRS is running a 15% discount special that's about to expire (today) just in case you were looking to try any other lights
If they can make a true Triton competitor at half the price, I think it'd sell like hotcakes. But for now, I'll stick with VLEDs for my major LED needs.

I think the trouble with that is the parking lights would then get thrown out even more, making the perception of its brightness more intense. So that means potentially getting pulled over. haha. The best solution is to use the same amount of the same type/kind of LEDs for both white and amber.

Oh yeah, I ordered some Morimoto Elite HIDs for the Yaris. It's the only kit I see that doesn't produce glare (at least enough to get people to high beam me). I would have tried out VLEDs LED headlights, but there is no space behind the Yaris hatch's headlights, so I would be concerned about the heat sink tails.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:30 PM   #31
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

VLED HVA bulb in Toyota clear side marker:

Crazy, right? Makes the OEM bulb look like it's not even on!
VLEDS IS THE SHIT

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4FwREyx9d0"]V3 Triton LED system installed FR-S walk around by VLEDS - YouTube[/ame]
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:20 AM   #32
maui86

Quote:
If they can make a true Triton competitor at half the price, I think it'd sell like hotcakes. But for now, I'll stick with VLEDs for my major LED needs.

I think the trouble with that is the parking lights would then get thrown out even more, making the perception of its brightness more intense. So that means potentially getting pulled over. haha. The best solution is to use the same amount of the same type/kind of LEDs for both white and amber.

Oh yeah, I ordered some Morimoto Elite HIDs for the Yaris. It's the only kit I see that doesn't produce glare (at least enough to get people to high beam me). I would have tried out VLEDs LED headlights, but there is no space behind the Yaris hatch's headlights, so I would be concerned about the heat sink tails.

I would love to see TRS/Morimoto bring their Triton competitor to market at a much lower price than VLED's, but they haven't really thrown out any numbers (not even a ballpark) yet. Hopefully they do come in at a really good price point, and ideally without needing the extra control boxes that the V3's need to work.

If police attention is a concern, I believe the Tritons come with an optional dimming wire to cut brightness down by ? 50% ? when the parking/headlights are on. I figure you could get crafty and slap a PWM unit from Diode Dynamics on as well to further control brightness.

Agreed on the same type/amount of LED's. I believe the Ultinon's use Philips Rebels (2 per bulb,) as do the Triton's (3 white / 3 amber on the switchbacks) each with their own unique layout which makes a huge difference, particularly with our housings. I've recently stumbled across another company from Japan (Pika-Q or something) that makes amber, red, and white units with 5!!! Philips Rebels (4 side firing, one top firing through a lens) in a configuration I haven't seen before. Something like $70-$80 per pair to import from Japan.

Yaris - I don't have experience with those lights, but have you considered doing a full projector retrofit on them? Maybe with Morimoto D2S or D4S projectors? I've tried drop in kits, bent squirrel finders, etc. but when I finally got around to retroing a D2S 3.0, the difference was night and day (pun intended ) Pair them with OSRAM Cool Blue Intense bulbs and you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner! It does cost a bit more, but the results are really, really worth it.
As for the LED headlight bulbs - I don't think anything on the market currently provides enough throw/distance to be worthwhile; although the SL1 bulbs that Diode Dynamics previewed at SEMA look promising - https://www.instagram.com/p/BJLzBQ5B1k0/
Old 12-28-2016, 12:29 PM   #33
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
I would love to see TRS/Morimoto bring their Triton competitor to market at a much lower price than VLED's, but they haven't really thrown out any numbers (not even a ballpark) yet. Hopefully they do come in at a really good price point, and ideally without needing the extra control boxes that the V3's need to work.

If police attention is a concern, I believe the Tritons come with an optional dimming wire to cut brightness down by ? 50% ? when the parking/headlights are on. I figure you could get crafty and slap a PWM unit from Diode Dynamics on as well to further control brightness.

Agreed on the same type/amount of LED's. I believe the Ultinon's use Philips Rebels (2 per bulb,) as do the Triton's (3 white / 3 amber on the switchbacks) each with their own unique layout which makes a huge difference, particularly with our housings. I've recently stumbled across another company from Japan (Pika-Q or something) that makes amber, red, and white units with 5!!! Philips Rebels (4 side firing, one top firing through a lens) in a configuration I haven't seen before. Something like $70-$80 per pair to import from Japan.

Yaris - I don't have experience with those lights, but have you considered doing a full projector retrofit on them? Maybe with Morimoto D2S or D4S projectors? I've tried drop in kits, bent squirrel finders, etc. but when I finally got around to retroing a D2S 3.0, the difference was night and day (pun intended ) Pair them with OSRAM Cool Blue Intense bulbs and you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner! It does cost a bit more, but the results are really, really worth it.
As for the LED headlight bulbs - I don't think anything on the market currently provides enough throw/distance to be worthwhile; although the SL1 bulbs that Diode Dynamics previewed at SEMA look promising - https://www.instagram.com/p/BJLzBQ5B1k0/
I've done a retrofit in my previous Yaris (sedan). I tinkered with the headlights enough that I somehow couldn't get it to seal properly anymore, and I had condensation issues. I've also helped my friend with his retrofit when he had his Civic at the time.

I just don't want to spend the money on the daily driver. lol. Going from the FR-S with the CBI in the factory HID projectors to the Yaris hatch's halogen reflector bowls sucks big time, so the easiest and most efficient way for me is to just slap in Morimoto's PnP kit (which I ended up doing with the Yaris sedan after buying new headlights).

The Triton has that dimming feature, but I read that it barely makes a difference. lol.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:55 PM   #34
maui86

Quote:
I've done a retrofit in my previous Yaris (sedan). I tinkered with the headlights enough that I somehow couldn't get it to seal properly anymore, and I had condensation issues. I've also helped my friend with his retrofit when he had his Civic at the time.

I just don't want to spend the money on the daily driver. lol. Going from the FR-S with the CBI in the factory HID projectors to the Yaris hatch's halogen reflector bowls sucks big time, so the easiest and most efficient way for me is to just slap in Morimoto's PnP kit (which I ended up doing with the Yaris sedan after buying new headlights).

The Triton has that dimming feature, but I read that it barely makes a difference. lol.

Sounds like I'm preaching to the choir here as you already know the joy of CBI bulbs
On that note, if you ever decide to get rid of your stock OEM Monogram/10/RS lights, I would love to have a crack at them. I'm running retro'ed Winjets currently but would like to upgrade to OEM Toyota units in the future.

As I mentioned earlier I haven't done much research on Yaris headlights, but if they are one of the newer ones with projectors, I've noticed Toyota has been using some nice projectors with crappy halogen bulbs recently. I.e. the last generation Sienna has a nice wide beam pattern, defined cutoff line (with just a hint of color!), all hobbled by dull h11 halogens
Kaotic Lazagna (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #35
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Sounds like I'm preaching to the choir here as you already know the joy of CBI bulbs
On that note, if you ever decide to get rid of your stock OEM Monogram/10/RS lights, I would love to have a crack at them. I'm running retro'ed Winjets currently but would like to upgrade to OEM Toyota units in the future.

As I mentioned earlier I haven't done much research on Yaris headlights, but if they are one of the newer ones with projectors, I've noticed Toyota has been using some nice projectors with crappy halogen bulbs recently. I.e. the last generation Sienna has a nice wide beam pattern, defined cutoff line (with just a hint of color!), all hobbled by dull h11 halogens
The monogram lights are great. I haven't found a headlight design that makes me want to part ways with them. Haha.

The Yaris I have are just your old school reflector bowl with H4 bulbs. The new Yaris SE have projectors, haven't had much seat time in them to see if putting HIDs in them would be good. I put HIDs in my bros Prius c, and they're pretty good. Didn't adjust them, and I don't get blinded driving in front of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaotic Lazagna For This Useful Post:
maui86 (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 08:17 PM   #36
maui86

Quote:
The monogram lights are great. I haven't found a headlight design that makes me want to part ways with them. Haha.

The Yaris I have are just your old school reflector bowl with H4 bulbs. The new Yaris SE have projectors, haven't had much seat time in them to see if putting HIDs in them would be good. I put HIDs in my bros Prius c, and they're pretty good. Didn't adjust them, and I don't get blinded driving in front of it.

Yeah, the Monogram head lights are one of those things that I really would have liked to have seen Scion offer as a pre-installed option on something other than the special editions. I also haven't come across any other style that really does it for me, with the exception of these JDM Valenti's:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTSb7KE2zA8"]Valenti headlight demo - YouTube[/ame]

I wonder if your yaris could fit something like these mini projectors, without any significant modifications?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/cl...rojectors.html
Old 12-29-2016, 01:15 AM   #37
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Yeah, the Monogram head lights are one of those things that I really would have liked to have seen Scion offer as a pre-installed option on something other than the special editions. I also haven't come across any other style that really does it for me, with the exception of these JDM Valenti's:

I wonder if your yaris could fit something like these mini projectors, without any significant modifications?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/cl...rojectors.html

Those Valenti's remind me of the '17 86 headlights (which I'm sure will soon start popping up in the for sale section soon )

I know I can install the mini h1 projectors with a little trimming of the housing for the Yaris. But I just don't want to open up the headlights, and I already ordered the PnP kit. hehehe
Old 01-01-2017, 12:50 AM   #38
maui86

Quote:
Those Valenti's remind me of the '17 86 headlights (which I'm sure will soon start popping up in the for sale section soon )

I know I can install the mini h1 projectors with a little trimming of the housing for the Yaris. But I just don't want to open up the headlights, and I already ordered the PnP kit. hehehe

Yup the Valenti's share some similarities, although I much prefer the design of them vs the 17 86 headlights. Although if people start dumping the 17's at fire sale prices, I might have to pick up a pair

Looks like that link I posted was dead, but here's a link to an el cheapo amazon version:

https://www.amazon.com/Rover-Project...ini-projectors

basically a super mini projector that slides into an h4 (and possibly the ?9003? that the yaris uses) housing like a regular bulb; no opening of the housing required. I think this amazon one has the bulb built in, so you should be able to plug it right up to your morimoto amp ballasts.
Kaotic Lazagna (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 03:45 AM   #39
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Yup the Valenti's share some similarities, although I much prefer the design of them vs the 17 86 headlights. Although if people start dumping the 17's at fire sale prices, I might have to pick up a pair

Looks like that link I posted was dead, but here's a link to an el cheapo amazon version:

https://www.amazon.com/Rover-Project...ini-projectors

basically a super mini projector that slides into an h4 (and possibly the ?9003? that the yaris uses) housing like a regular bulb; no opening of the housing required. I think this amazon one has the bulb built in, so you should be able to plug it right up to your morimoto amp ballasts.
Wa about to pull the trigger on those until I saw that the bulbs were built into the projectors. I don't want 6000k, and I'd question the quality of those bulbs. Lol. I'd have to cut off the bulb shield some how as well.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:51 AM   #40
maui86

Quote:
Wa about to pull the trigger on those until I saw that the bulbs were built into the projectors. I don't want 6000k, and I'd question the quality of those bulbs. Lol. I'd have to cut off the bulb shield some how as well.

Oh yea, definitely don't think those bulbs would be good for very long. I'm pretty sure the ones TRS had on closeout were projectors only without bulbs stuck to the housing - I figure there should be some bulb-less solutions on amazon or something . . .

Or grab a set of these and leave your headlights off lol:

https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Direc...+lights+subaru

These surprised me at just how good they are; paired with 4500k CNLights and 35w Hylux (Diode standard kit) - great output, throw, beam pattern, cutoff, etc. Throw in the bi-xenon feature and for the price, it's hard to go wrong.
( review coming soon...ish )
Old 01-02-2017, 02:28 AM   #41
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Oh yea, definitely don't think those bulbs would be good for very long. I'm pretty sure the ones TRS had on closeout were projectors only without bulbs stuck to the housing - I figure there should be some bulb-less solutions on amazon or something . . .

Or grab a set of these and leave your headlights off lol:

https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Direc...+lights+subaru

These surprised me at just how good they are; paired with 4500k CNLights and 35w Hylux (Diode standard kit) - great output, throw, beam pattern, cutoff, etc. Throw in the bi-xenon feature and for the price, it's hard to go wrong.
( review coming soon...ish )
I have a pair of BMW X5 LED fog lights. I just have to see if they'll fit the Yaris hatch. Lol. They have great output and throw, but they're just on the large side.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:22 PM   #42
maui86

Quote:
I have a pair of BMW X5 LED fog lights. I just have to see if they'll fit the Yaris hatch. Lol. They have great output and throw, but they're just on the large side.
I always hear great things about those, right up there in desirability with Fusion fogs.

Tags
7443, led, morimoto, switchback, turn signal