follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2017, 09:28 AM   #15
drz400dude

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Since you do not like it and want to sell pm me the price please. I am looking for an Frs or brz to buy and boost, thanks!
Lol I don't like it because it sounds like something is wrong. If works says that's a normal sound I'll leave it be and it won't bother me. But I doubt it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited by drz400dude; 06-11-2017 at 09:40 AM.
drz400dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:39 AM   #16
drz400dude

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronology View Post
I assume you have the car on the works stage 2 flash? Pull a log from cold start and post it here.

I just saw the 2nd video that sounds off to me also, something lose physically knocking?
Yea I flashed the ecu with the tune from works before starting. I tried plugging in my OFT to look at numbers but it just goes to a white screen? I plugged it into my computer and it seems to be working fine. I'll try it in my car again. Unless the OBD2 cable got messed up some how.

Yea it does sound off I looked all around and I don't see anything physically moving outside. I figured if that was the case it would do it the whole time though? It seems to be at a certain point in the engine warm up process. No CEL though, and it's before the radiator fans kick in so it's not the fans. The only other external moving parts is the serpentine belt and pulleys.

It seems to be coming from the left side. Like maybe the left injectors or valves are doing something off because of the tune. I really don't know though.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #17
jawnthen

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
it might be okay...

So I watched your 2nd video and at first it does seem off to me.
I went and shot some vids of mine and after it got warm, it started to sound like yours. I've put about 5k miles on mine and never really listened to the engine with the hood up. I don't notice it at all inside. Other than a couple of oil leaks which have been fixed, I've had no other issues with the kit.

Did you add anything else to the stg 2 kit? I added flex fuel, injectors and a fuel pump and of course a custom tune. All my installation was done by Works.

Anyways, here my videos for comparison.
After cold start and idling for a minute or so.
https://goo.gl/photos/MMK4h25ewgFB8otY7

Here's after a quick run to get some bagels.
https://goo.gl/photos/Rp2xwiPbDFZBRN5J7
jawnthen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jawnthen For This Useful Post:
drz400dude (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #18
Chronology

Drives: 13' Satin White Pearl BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz400dude View Post
Yea I flashed the ecu with the tune from works before starting. I tried plugging in my OFT to look at numbers but it just goes to a white screen? I plugged it into my computer and it seems to be working fine. I'll try it in my car again. Unless the OBD2 cable got messed up some how.

Yea it does sound off I looked all around and I don't see anything physically moving outside. I figured if that was the case it would do it the whole time though? It seems to be at a certain point in the engine warm up process. No CEL though, and it's before the radiator fans kick in so it's not the fans. The only other external moving parts is the serpentine belt and pulleys.

It seems to be coming from the left side. Like maybe the left injectors or valves are doing something off because of the tune. I really don't know though.

I would suspect heat from warming up expanding metal, at 7 secs of the 2nd video I hear what your saying, weird that your OFT is white screened, I have an Ecutek setup we can use to pull logs if you need help, but I know jack about the sound, have you hooked up the OFT to another 86?
RS*R Sport-I w/custom spring rate / Cusco Front/Rear Sways, Cusco Diff Brace / Cusco Power Brace (Rear/Front/Upper/Lower) / JDL UEL Headers / INVIDIA Q300 Ti / Valenti Revo Tails and rear backup/ EcuTek / Moto-East Flexfuel / Moto-East E85 tune
Chronology is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chronology For This Useful Post:
drz400dude (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 04:24 PM   #19
Lantana frs

Drives: 13 frs red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I would take a long screwdriver and put the handle to my ear while probing the motor to at least find the area which the noise is coming from.
Lantana frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #20
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Not sure how your tuner has it set up, maybe its the switch from DI/PORT or hybrid? Port injectors can be loud if aftermarket

Longshot, no clue what the injector strategy is on our system
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJCarbine For This Useful Post:
drz400dude (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 06:20 PM   #21
drz400dude

Garage
Yea yours seems to do the same thing. Mine seems louder though? Maybe I'm just more paranoid about mine because it's my baby

Thanks for the videos though It makes me feel a little better. However, I am just going to wait for tomorrow and see what works says about it.

I did add Perrin engine mounts, though I don't see what they would have to do with anything unless it was making the noise the whole time. But to be at the same RPM and then start making noise wouldn't suggest this as the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnthen View Post
So I watched your 2nd video and at first it does seem off to me.
I went and shot some vids of mine and after it got warm, it started to sound like yours. I've put about 5k miles on mine and never really listened to the engine with the hood up. I don't notice it at all inside. Other than a couple of oil leaks which have been fixed, I've had no other issues with the kit.

Did you add anything else to the stg 2 kit? I added flex fuel, injectors and a fuel pump and of course a custom tune. All my installation was done by Works.

Anyways, here my videos for comparison.
After cold start and idling for a minute or so.
https://goo.gl/photos/MMK4h25ewgFB8otY7

Here's after a quick run to get some bagels.
https://goo.gl/photos/Rp2xwiPbDFZBRN5J7
Old 06-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #22
drz400dude

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronology View Post
I would suspect heat from warming up expanding metal, at 7 secs of the 2nd video I hear what your saying, weird that your OFT is white screened, I have an Ecutek setup we can use to pull logs if you need help, but I know jack about the sound, have you hooked up the OFT to another 86?
I got it to work. Kinda weird. I just plugged it into my computer, and then tried the car again and it works. Thanks for the offer though.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #23
drz400dude

Garage
Here is a data log. This is from about 30 seconds after startup to about a minute after the noise started.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 13frs1.pdf (2.81 MB, 92 views)

Last edited by drz400dude; 06-11-2017 at 07:07 PM. Reason: forgot attachment
Old 06-11-2017, 07:08 PM   #24
drz400dude

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
Not sure how your tuner has it set up, maybe its the switch from DI/PORT or hybrid? Port injectors can be loud if aftermarket

Everything except turbo and motor mounts are stock.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:48 PM   #25
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
It is completely normal. As mentioned above, it is just the sound of the car transitioning from the two injection systems.
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Racers Line For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (06-12-2017), drz400dude (06-11-2017), jawnthen (06-11-2017), WORKS (06-12-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #26
drz400dude

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post

wow you were right, I wasn't even aware this car had both DI and PI
Old 06-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #27
drz400dude

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Racers Line View Post
It is completely normal. As mentioned above, it is just the sound of the car transitioning from the two injection systems.
Thanks, I wasn't even aware these cars had PI/DI system. A quick google search on how it works proved useful. I guess maybe on the stock tune the set of injectors I'm hearing never kicked in at idle?

Either way good news.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #28
woomis

Drives: 2016 FRS Release Series 2.0
Look at your Intake Temps! I'm on the same kit and my temps are 34 average. 51 MAX if I'm sitting at a light and it's 100deg outside.

Check your intercooler on top (only when you're 100% sure it's cooled off enough to safely check) -- Check inside and make sure coolant in there is nice and topped off and hasn't leaked out and make sure your water pump is running It should be plugged into the windshield wiper fuse and should be heard while key ON without engine on.
woomis is offline   Reply With Quote