follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > New England

New England MA, ME, NH, RI, VT

User Tag List

Old 09-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need help w/ header/exhaust install? Anyone

Hi all,

I live in Boston and I am a proud owner of the FRS. Sine the purchase of my vehicle I have spent a ton of time searching and reviewing all the great mods I can get for my baby.

I will keep this car NA and have no plans to do FI (I think). I plan to get an intake, Unichip (which I may be ordering real soon) and a header/overpipe/down pipe combo. (will be getting a cat back/axel back down the road when I get more money.

I can install the intake/unichip myself but live in an apartment and cannot do the exhaust.

I have no idea how much installing headers/overpipe and downpipe will run me but my uncle quoted to me a guess of like a grand! or something ridiculous. It seems silly to spend that amount of money on these bolt on parts they follow posters claim took them a few hours at most to install.

So,.. why am I here? Is their anyone in New England (I am willing to travel) willing to help me get these exhaust parts installed (when I get them) for a good deal?

Also, I would very much like to be part of the install process as I want to learn IF POSSIBLE. You or the mechanic will be taking the lead on this install but I would love to be their to assist and learn.

Does anyone feel up with the task and/or know of a trusty shop were I can get it done without raping my wallet?

I dont have the exhaust parts yet. I plan on getting the nameless header or revworks header (cant wait any longer!) when its released. I guess I am trying to get a head start on this.. this also gives me the opportunity to network with some fellow, local car enthusiasts.

thanks
Boofneenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
WRXGuy1

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Premium 6MT
It's probably not much help, but I had Lou's install my catback and they only charged me $75 and did a great job.

WRXGuy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WRXGuy1 For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (09-10-2013)
Old 09-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
SimplePortal

Drives: Hot Lava
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXGuy1 View Post
It's probably not much help, but I had Lou's install my catback and they only charged me $75 and did a great job.
Which location did you did it at?
SimplePortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
utekineir
blowhard

Drives: frs, project forester
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
catback on this car is basically a couple bolts and a few exhaust hangers..... mine took maybe a half hour.

These cars are new, that means the bolts arent going to be horribly rusted, things should come apart nice. Make sure you have some sort of spray or even soap (pretty much whatevers handy that wont deteriorate rubber) for lubing the exhaust hangers.

if you have any interest at all in learning cars a catback is a good place to start its basically retard simple, and its pretty hard to screw up anything expensive unless the car falls on you or you get something in your eye. Both of which are a part of proper safety precautions.

Header isn't as simple, but isn't rocket science. Though the boxer header i did a few years ago was a bit of a pita doing alone though holding it up into place and getting everything lined up and started without help. Then again the header I had purchased used slip joints and wasn't perfectly lined up.

Do you have a friend with a driveway? do you have tools? do you have a nearby harbor freight (and coupons)? big box auto store (they loan some tools for a deposit)

watch some videos, read diys, headers on this car should be very similar to other subaru headers, the overpipe would be a bit different but isn't exactly rocket science.

learning is a great thing, just be safe about it. (car safely raised, safety glasses, etc.)

Perhaps try asking at a local meet if you're into that sort of thing.

Last edited by utekineir; 09-15-2013 at 09:11 PM.
utekineir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to utekineir For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (09-17-2013)
Old 09-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
beaver_scott

Drives: 2013 FRS hot lava
Garage
Need help w/ header/exhaust install? Anyone

I've done a cat back on my frs and a uel header on a friends frs. Both were pretty easy installs. If you decide to go at it alone just let me know and I can give you a step by step. Just find a friend that has a driveway.
beaver_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beaver_scott For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (09-17-2013)
Old 09-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
jonbonazza

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
There is no way you would pay a grand even for the whole exhaust at once... It is just a bunch of bolts, and if you have ramps or a jack, you can do the entire thing without a lift.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
jonbonazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
If you are friends with anyone in the military, they have access to a great self-service (with lifts, tools and manuals) garage on base at Hanscom. That would be an ideal place for what you want to do. There used to be a place in Nashua that anyone could use but I think it's closed down. Worth a look though, "u-do-it autoworks".
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
Fonzi

Drives: 2013 White FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I did mine myself, I installed the magnaflow exhaust and full blowns turbo header. I did it the old fashion way, on jack stands and a creeper. Not the ideal way but it works. If you want to drive up to Hampton NH I would do it in my garage.
Fonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fonzi For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (09-17-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
WRXGuy1

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Premium 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplePortal View Post
Which location did you did it at?
Manchester

WRXGuy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

oops double post
Old 09-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

dood, I will keep that in mind! I am still hunting for the perfect exhaust compilation.. hhonestly, I am thinking of just doing the headers/OP/DP at this time and leaving the cat back stock. Get some more HP that way.
I am going to have to make damn sure that my new exhaust does not sound like some raging fart machine. This is my DD and I like to "gun it" when I can.. the last thing I need is to attract every cop in the area.
Rev works has an awesome UEL header that I have been "googling" at but, I know nameless is working on a masterpiece header.

I just got an injen CAI that is sitting at my house that I will install with my new UNICHIP when it arrives this Friday!! i cant f'ing wait'

Sorry for such a late replay to this thread.. I had know idea it was active.. But yea, when I get the exhaust parts I will look you up Fonzi!
Old 09-19-2013, 03:49 AM   #12
Fonzi

Drives: 2013 White FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
dood, I will keep that in mind! I am still hunting for the perfect exhaust compilation.. hhonestly, I am thinking of just doing the headers/OP/DP at this time and leaving the cat back stock. Get some more HP that way.
I am going to have to make damn sure that my new exhaust does not sound like some raging fart machine. This is my DD and I like to "gun it" when I can.. the last thing I need is to attract every cop in the area.
Rev works has an awesome UEL header that I have been "googling" at but, I know nameless is working on a masterpiece header.

I just got an injen CAI that is sitting at my house that I will install with my new UNICHIP when it arrives this Friday!! i cant f'ing wait'

Sorry for such a late replay to this thread.. I had know idea it was active.. But yea, when I get the exhaust parts I will look you up Fonzi!

Yea for sure. It is good to hear some in person. I like sound of mine but for some reason I get a raspy sound at about 4k. I havent changed the overpipe so that is next on my list. Maybe wait till after winter. My car will barely be driven in the winter.
Fonzi is offline   Reply With Quote