follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-05-2015, 01:26 PM   #1
wddlz

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Strange BRZ Side Mirror Damage?

Hey guys, have you ever heard of the plastic covering of the side view mirror warping like this? I came out to my 2014 BRZ limited yesterday and found some weird damage. It wasn't parked in a place where another car could park (I call it the spot because it is next to some grass and on the other side (drivers side) there is a white 'do not park here' stripped box). It doesn't really mesh with a door or pedestrian hitting it either, the cover seems wavy almost as when you squish a sponge with your hands and your fingers go in and the rest stays normal with a weird textured mark sort of like a fingerprint. Not a scratch or impact ding.

It wasn't until I googled 'side view mirror damage warped' that I found similar looking damage on a Jag. Am I crazy? Is it just some jerk that screwed up the covering and ran away? Or could a malfunctioning side mirror heater cause warping like this on the cover? I did have to use the defroster (which I guess turns the mirror heaters on) that morning because of ice.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...14_634x463.jpg The Jag that melted...

My BRZ...
http://i.imgur.com/P6RXih1.png
http://i.imgur.com/7fqzwvy.png
http://i.imgur.com/LtVkBtZ.png

Only 1100 miles on it btw...
wddlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
killboy

Drives: 1FRS, 1 BRZ, 2S2000s, Evo8, Dak.R/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I believe what happened with that jag was the result of the sun reflecting off of a nearby building and sort of magnifying the sun's reflection, so it melted the mirror. Those fingerprint-like wrinkles in your paint look heat induced. Is there a big building nearby with lots of glass that could be doing it?
Old 02-05-2015, 01:38 PM   #3
wddlz

No, not in either place really, my townhouse has a few windows but I haven't seen them focus light ever and they aren't reflective. Where the spot I parked was obscured by trees so no building within the sightline of the car.

I've been parking in both spaces for almost a year now since I got the car last April. Weird that yesterday would be the day if it is building induced?
Old 02-05-2015, 02:04 PM   #4
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Interesting, I've never seen that happen before. If you decide to bring it in to the dealer, maybe they'll covered the damages/fix it(idk), and find out if its a malfunction.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:28 PM   #5
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killboydotcom View Post
I believe what happened with that jag was the result of the sun reflecting off of a nearby building and sort of magnifying the sun's reflection, so it melted the mirror. Those fingerprint-like wrinkles in your paint look heat induced. Is there a big building nearby with lots of glass that could be doing it?
Reminds me of this: http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/03/world/...ing-melts-car/
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
wddlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Yeah that is where the Jaguar picture is from. I just used it because the fingerprint-style damage was the same in my case, pointing to some type of heat damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-17 View Post
Interesting, I've never seen that happen before. If you decide to bring it in to the dealer, maybe they'll covered the damages/fix it(idk), and find out if its a malfunction.
I'm taking it to their service department today for them to look at (they also have a body shop on site). The covers themselves are like 50 dollars but painting is always expensive.

Just in case, I'm always just using an ice scraper from now on... I like doing it anyway.

He said he has never heard of something like that happening. I just want to make sure that if I get them replaced that I don't have to deal with it again (if it is something to do with the mirror heating).

I thought about just replacing them with aftermarkets without heating but I haven't found any that I really like.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wddlz View Post
I'm taking it to their service department today for them to look at (they also have a body shop on site). The covers themselves are like 50 dollars but painting is always expensive.

Just in case, I'm always just using an ice scraper from now on... I like doing it anyway.

He said he has never heard of something like that happening. I just want to make sure that if I get them replaced that I don't have to deal with it again (if it is something to do with the mirror heating).

I thought about just replacing them with aftermarkets without heating but I haven't found any that I really like.
That's good, keep us updated if this an issue or a fluke.

Btw, best bet to go with premium BRZ/FRS side mirrors if you don't like any of the aftermarket mirrors (don't blame you). Only aftermarket mirrors that seem okay to me, imo, are the APR mirror or carbon fiber side mirrors.

Good luck

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:32 PM   #8
wddlz

So just got back from Subaru. He agreed that it looked like heat damage and even went as far to say it looked like an internal heat source.

Going to drop it off next week since he said they will need some time with it (and I assume replacing one takes time too) for diagnoses.

Funny that a car meant to be just a pure driving experience is haunted by heated mirror luxury...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wddlz For This Useful Post:
Choco (02-06-2015), M-17 (02-06-2015)
Old 10-30-2016, 05:24 PM   #9
Seattlesbest

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by wddlz View Post
So just got back from Subaru. He agreed that it looked like heat damage and even went as far to say it looked like an internal heat source.

Going to drop it off next week since he said they will need some time with it (and I assume replacing one takes time too) for diagnoses.

Funny that a car meant to be just a pure driving experience is haunted by heated mirror luxury...
I know this is old as hell but did you ever find out what this was from? I have the same problem, driver side mirror.
Seattlesbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:33 PM   #10
Seattlesbest

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Couple of pics,

Seattlesbest is offline   Reply With Quote