follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #29
Wankel Rex

Drives: Silver Premium Edition BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86 SpeedFactory View Post
All depends on what you do with the car.

Sounds like it might be a daily driver sooooooo....
Springs ( RCE )
10mm Wheel Spacers ( push stock wheels out to meet fenders )
Perrin Exhaust Tips ( Sporty look )
Smoked or Clear Side Markers ( again looks )
Raceseng Slammer knob
MTEC Springs
K&N Drop In

Keep things simple, effective and clean.

Question about spacers... when I owned an 88 and then a 93 RX7 I was always told using spacers to push out the wheels for a flush look put strain on the axles for which they weren't necessarily designed.

Any concern there with modern cars?
Wankel Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #30
Kakawate
Man-ape

Drives: 2013 Buddy Club Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I've modded a lot and my first mod was tires and wheels this car needs it. Then it was cat back suspension and header then tune. It's all about what you want to accomplish with the car. Have a clear goal in mind before you stop and drop thousands upon thousands
Kakawate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #31
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooper View Post
Seems to be a good kit....

Also with FI unless you're going big 2.5inch will be fine... So all you'd need is a 2.5inch midpipe which should be cheap for a shop to make.
The OEM midpipe is already 2.5" & thus perfectly adequate.

I'm on my phone so if I make mistakes, blame Sportsguy83

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #32
enjoyminutemaid

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited WRB Manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
For suspension, I have the following:
-RCE Yellow springs
-Koni Yellow shucks and strots
-OEM crash bolts in the front
-SPC adjustable rear lower control arms

If you are going to get springs, I highly recommend getting OEM crash bolts and the SPC adjustable rear lower control arms plus a professional alignment. The SPC LCAs will allow you to keep your rear camber closer to zero (ideally around -1.5 if you get the RCE yellows) and your toe at zero. FWIW, you might want to check out the Swift springs if you value comfort and appearance over performance, but I love my RCE yellows.
enjoyminutemaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:51 AM   #33
2point0

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd WRB
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankel Rex View Post
Question about spacers... when I owned an 88 and then a 93 RX7 I was always told using spacers to push out the wheels for a flush look put strain on the axles for which they weren't necessarily designed.

Any concern there with modern cars?
Just to clarify, the added stress is on the wheel bearings. I haven't heard of axle issues. Regardless, if you don't go crazy with them, spacers are perfectly safe for most people. Just don't buy junk and make sure you have plenty of thread on stock and spacer studs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyminutemaid View Post
If you are going to get springs, I highly recommend getting OEM crash bolts and the SPC adjustable rear lower control arms plus a professional alignment. The SPC LCAs will allow you to keep your rear camber closer to zero (ideally around -1.5 if you get the RCE yellows) and your toe at zero. FWIW, you might want to check out the Swift springs if you value comfort and appearance over performance, but I love my RCE yellows.
Real camber bolts can be had for around $20 used, maybe less. Look up the part numbers of bolts from Eibach and Whiteline (I think they have 'em), but the point being, you can search for them used on other forums as well as long as you know what size. You can use a 16mm in the upper hole and a 14mm in the lower hole (pretty sure...it's been a while since I looked). I happened to have a friend with a spare set that he never used on his 2.5RS. And you'll get more adjustment range than just the crash bolt, which is just a 14mm bolt in a 16mm hole so you can wiggle it around before tightening.

If you're lowering the car and adding other mods, I would think the goal would have some performance in mind. That said, zero camber is fine for someone who hates going around corners. I would leave at least some negative camber, front and rear, regardless of suspension. Even on stock, the -1 degrees in front from bolts made a HUGE improvement when turning the wheel.
2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:21 AM   #34
Wankel Rex

Drives: Silver Premium Edition BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Huh, I'll be damned. Thanks for the info! Still not sure I'll do it but it would look nicer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2point0 View Post
Just to clarify, the added stress is on the wheel bearings. I haven't heard of axle issues. Regardless, if you don't go crazy with them, spacers are perfectly safe for most people. Just don't buy junk and make sure you have plenty of thread on stock and spacer studs.

Real camber bolts can be had for around $20 used, maybe less. Look up the part numbers of bolts from Eibach and Whiteline (I think they have 'em), but the point being, you can search for them used on other forums as well as long as you know what size. You can use a 16mm in the upper hole and a 14mm in the lower hole (pretty sure...it's been a while since I looked). I happened to have a friend with a spare set that he never used on his 2.5RS. And you'll get more adjustment range than just the crash bolt, which is just a 14mm bolt in a 16mm hole so you can wiggle it around before tightening.

If you're lowering the car and adding other mods, I would think the goal would have some performance in mind. That said, zero camber is fine for someone who hates going around corners. I would leave at least some negative camber, front and rear, regardless of suspension. Even on stock, the -1 degrees in front from bolts made a HUGE improvement when turning the wheel.
Wankel Rex is offline   Reply With Quote