follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 02-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
Caustik

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
RWD Coupe vs AWD Sedan vs FWD Hot Hatch

So guys, I'm currently trying to decide on what car I want to get. I currently drive a 1996 Honda Accord coupe that I've been driving since high school (I graduated college last May and have a full time job atm). I've been saving up for a new car and want to get something fun to drive, as it is a good time for me to do so not having any kids yet and whatnot. My price range is 20-30k, preferably somewhere in the middle. I have identified a lot of cars that seem interesting/fun in this price range, and they all seem to fit inside one of the three categories listed in the title.

RWD Coupes:

Scion FRS/Subaru BRZ
Hyundai Genesis Coupe

AWD Sedans:

Subaru WRX
Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart

FWD Hot Hatches:

Volkswagen GTI
Mazdaspeed 3

Problem is, I don't know which kind of car is the best for me. I don't have an overwhelming preference for any of the three, although I tend to lean towards RWD or AWD over FWD as from an engineering perspective (I'm a mechanical engineer) I know using a FWD platform for a sports car is a poor choice (torque steer, understeer, weight distribution, etc). I am learning how to drive a manual car on my friend's beater and would prefer to get a manual car if I get any of the above (although some come only in manual anyway).

I want a car that has a good balance of value, sportiness, power, handling, and is at least marginally practical (no 2 seaters or convertibles..sorry Miata). I've test driven the FRS (in automatic, as it was before I started learning manual), and thought it was a lot of fun and a really cool car. I know posting this on FT86club is going to elicit some bias of course, but I'd still like people's opinions on the overall 'fun factor' of RWD coupes vs AWD sedans vs Hot Hatches, and of these categories which is the best.
Caustik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
Chen
Regional Moderator

Drives: 13' ZN6 / 00' AP1 / 20' A90/ 15 EVO
Thanked 1,275 Times in 854 Posts
Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
I myself. was kinda in the same predicament. But I'm happy w/ my choice. Overall. I picked the twins over the WRX simply because of how unique it was.
Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #3
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
If you need 1 car to do it all, I'm not sure the frs would be a good choice. Especially anywhere with snow. I'm aware people do it but it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I have a forester and a brz. I spread the mileage between the two and hibernate the brz in the winter. Once the brz is paid off, I plan to lease a cheap new suv every few years. The BRZ should be a great second car for a long time. If I was sticking with 1 car, the wrx hatch or the focus st would be tops on my list.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Best is to do some reading on each. You might want to swap the Mazda 3 for the new focus st. then go test drive each. No one can tell you whats best. You are on the twins forum and most of us already mour choice. I made mine and dont regret it one bit. I love driving my frs. Those cars on that list all have there pros and cons and all would be fantasic. It all depends on your personal choice and what you want out of your car.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustik View Post

RWD Coupes:

Scion FRS/Subaru BRZ
Hyundai Genesis Coupe

AWD Sedans:

Subaru WRX
Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart

FWD Hot Hatches:

Volkswagen GTI
Mazdaspeed 3
I currently own two of the cars on your list (GTI and FR-S). I've also owned an STI in the past.

Of the cars you've mentioned, the FR-S and STI are the most fun to drive IMO, but for different reasons. The STI is fun because of the feeling of its go-anywhere AWD and the midrange surge from the turbo. It's not precise, it's not lightweight, but it is very fast in real-world driving, especially with a tune and TBE. It also offers great practicality as a hatchback, like a small wagon. The negatives? Understeer, high CG, poor steering feel, gas mileage and maintenance. There are also new WRX/STI models on the horizon, so be aware of that.

The FR-S is fun because it's the sports car of the bunch. It is lighter and lower than everything else you've mentioned. It offers good feedback through the steering wheel and chassis, and it handles like you would expect a neutral lightweight RWD car would. The driving position is perfect, sightlines are good, and the shifter is notchy, but precise. In terms of the driving experience, I haven't driven anything that matches it under $40k, except perhaps the Miata. It's also fairly reliable and cheap to track/autocross. I really enjoy mine and will probably keep it for a long time. The negatives? Lack of torque and tiny rear seats.

I'd also suggest trying the Focus ST. GTI if you care about interior quality.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
What do you want to do with the car? That should be the question you ask yourself before narrowing down your choices. I just got rid of my 2008 STI because I asked myself what I needed my car to do, and the STI wasn't the best choice. The BRZ was a great compromise between sportiness, comfort, and speed that the STI dominated only in sportiness (to a degree) and speed.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
M1schiev0us

Drives: '06 IS350
I'm going to mirror what some others have said. If you want a good do-it-all car, (and since I can't in good conscience recommend a FWD car for someone looking for sportiness) I'd really recommend a 5-door WRX/STI. It'll give you the best mix of fun, power, and overall practicality at the slight expense of fuel efficiency.

I'd recommend the BRZ/FRS if you're actively looking for a 2 door, barely 4 seat, proper light sports car. You're giving up the added practicality for what I'd consider a much more pure driver experience and slightly better mileage, which is a debate that's still raging in my own head. If that sounds right up your alley, go for it, otherwise I'd go for the WRX as your main car.
M1schiev0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I owned all those types of cars you mentionned.

The FR-S is more fun, by FAR.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
shu5892001
Ontario's FT86

Drives: 2016 Lexus GS-F
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
if you want one car that does everything buy the WRX. My FRS never sits more than 2 people, because it just can't..... You might as well treat it as a 2 seater,
shu5892001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
leon78

Drives: 13 Whiteout
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The speed3 will prob be the best value for what your getting. Plenty of dudes getting the 13's OTD for 24,000 or less.
GunMetal 16x8+25 Enkei CompE_Cusco OCC_ Kartboy Crank Pulley_Kartboy TMM insert_Koni Yellows_RCE Springs_K&N Drop-In_Eibach FSB_J2 Catless FP_WhiteLine Camber Bolts_NameLess Track Pipe_RBF600_Ferodo DS2500_PTUNING Tuned.
Less parking more racing
leon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
M1schiev0us

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu5892001 View Post
if you want one car that does everything buy the WRX. My FRS never sits more than 2 people, because it just can't..... You might as well treat it as a 2 seater,
Well, you can fit someone in the back in an emergency, but I'd really only do that as a last resort, because stuffing someone back there is just cruel unless they're exceptionally short, and even then it'd still be pretty mean
Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I'm 5'8" and I could probably fit another me in the back seat with the driver's seat in my position.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
DieselxIndustry

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1schiev0us View Post
Well, you can fit someone in the back in an emergency, but I'd really only do that as a last resort, because stuffing someone back there is just cruel unless they're exceptionally short, and even then it'd still be pretty mean
Short yes or paraplegic more than likely.
DieselxIndustry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
M1schiev0us

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite012 View Post
I'm 5'8" and I could probably fit another me in the back seat with the driver's seat in my position.
Well sure I was being fairly sarcastic, but my point is I wouldn't think it would be very comfortable at all for anything more than a short trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselxIndustry
Short yes or paraplegic more than likely.
Kinda wrong but I 'd anyway.