follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 05-30-2012, 01:45 AM   #15
fernan2

Drives: Wrx
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you had to choose just one car, wish one would you pick? The STI or the BRZ???
fernan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #16
Metabrz
001 of 012

Drives: MY12 NZDM Subaru BRZ "BRZ001"
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Ive got a CBS on order and your post just got my juices going for when I turn up at the dealers.....happy happy joy joy.

Congrats, sweet ride. Looking forward to seeing what you do with 'Ghost'.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:01 AM   #17
blu_

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Pretty much agree with everything you said. Clutch is by far the biggest disappoint for me as well. It just feels numb and light. However, it will be nice for DDing I guess.

You have any issue with the bluetooth connection turning on random media apps on your phone when you get in and start it?
blu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #18
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernan2 View Post
If you had to choose just one car, wish one would you pick? The STI or the BRZ???
The STI, no question. Not only is it my "affordable dream car" it's a lot more versatile. But my STI is going to be buried with me, so I need to have other toys to use on those boring miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_ View Post
Pretty much agree with everything you said. Clutch is by far the biggest disappoint for me as well. It just feels numb and light. However, it will be nice for DDing I guess.

You have any issue with the bluetooth connection turning on random media apps on your phone when you get in and start it?
It seems to turn on the basic media player. But I'm used to turning on Pandora whenever I enter the car, so it's no biggie. Soon as I start Pandora, it overrides the media player that auto-started.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #19
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

One way I like to judge my cars is by using them for the day-to-day stuff. So the usual drive to work was interesting. The car feels peppier. I think it's because I'm getting used to the powerband and using it. I'm also keeping the revs a bit lower. I found myself driving a lot in the 3-4 Valley. Staying out of it seems to help wake the car up.

The center console is a bit uncomfortable against my right knee. I find it kind of funny because I had the exact same issue with my old '86 Corolla. The windowsill is a bit high for my taste, but that's normal for cars these days. I'll get used to it.

Getting on the highway on my usual on-ramp (a long one) is much the same as in my spec.B even when locked out of the revs above 4K. I can't wait to flog this thing.

Lane changing is freakin' telepathic. The off-center steering is immediate and precise. It really drives home my requirement for a responsive tire when I re-shoe this car. Soft sidewalls will do this car an injustice.

So far, I'm very happy with my new DD. More fun awaits!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Draco-REX For This Useful Post:
Jayde (05-30-2012), Starscream15 (05-30-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #20
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by touge-n00b View Post
Congrads! I'm interested to see how that shift knob looks, I can tell I'll get tired of mine quickly, haha.
Some crappy installed pics are up.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #21
bimmerboy

Drives: 2009 135i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
how is the exhaust note in daily driving situations? Non-existant?
bimmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #22
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy View Post
how is the exhaust note in daily driving situations? Non-existant?
For the most part, non-existent. I get a short note from the sound tube when I double-clutch, but otherwise, I don't notice it on the highway. Around town, you get a note from the engine when you push it a little that becomes very loud at high revs. But for just driving around town and in neighborhoods it's very quiet.

The good news is that it's not TOO quiet. When I got my spec.B the exhaust and engine were so quiet, I had trouble shifting. In the BRZ, the engine and exhaust are audible enough that driving by ear is very easy to do right off the bat.

If anything the tires are noisy, for being "touring" tires. Maybe if they wear down they might improve, but I think the low-rolling resistance nature makes them hum a little.

Once I nail down a comfortable driving position, the BRZ should be enjoyable for long trips at around 73mph.

The instant mileage I'm seeing is surprisingly high. Unfortunately, I'll have to get through the dealership's tankfull and another to get a good average.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Draco-REX For This Useful Post:
bimmerboy (05-30-2012), Elgancho (05-30-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #23
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The shift knob looks pretty good! Nice and clean. Also, is that an iPhone that's hooked up to the USB port? I've been looking for a shorter cable and I believe I found one, but I'm at work atm and don't have the link till I get home.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #24
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Looks sexy Draco! Loving that shift knob too, just fits nicely with the interior.

Justin
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #25
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde View Post
The shift knob looks pretty good! Nice and clean. Also, is that an iPhone that's hooked up to the USB port? I've been looking for a shorter cable and I believe I found one, but I'm at work atm and don't have the link till I get home.
It's an iPod. I thought I'd give it a try and see what the integration is like. Essentially, you just plug it in and the USB button on the HU turns into an iPod button.

I'll be playing with trying music and data on the SD card and thumb drive soon. Not to mention adding a personal start-up screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
Looks sexy Draco! Loving that shift knob too, just fits nicely with the interior.

Justin
Thanks. Your plate bracket should be arriving soon. As soon as I get my plates straightened out it'll go on.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #26
Subaruwrxfan

Drives: 2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Great impressions Draco, I'm particularly interested in your impressions because I have a 2006 spec b so I feel that my impressions will be very similar to yours. Keep the reports coming please!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #27
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruwrxfan View Post
Great impressions Draco, I'm particularly interested in your impressions because I have a 2006 spec b so I feel that my impressions will be very similar to yours. Keep the reports coming please!
I never really felt "connected" with my spec.B. It always felt like there was this fuzzy barrier between me and the car. The steering was ok, but the shifter was too smooth, the throttle pedal was laggy, the ride was soft but unresponsive, it leaned in the corners too much, and I was never comfortable with the butt-dragging that the Leggys do.

All of this is gone with the BRZ.

The steering is heavier and much more direct. The shifter is short and precise with just enough mechanical feel, IMO. The throttle was a little soft off the dealership lot, but it was just the usual Subaru blank ECU pedal. It's very responsive now that I've driven it 50 miles (as good if not better than my 07 STI's pedal.) The ride is firm but not harsh, and the suspension is unbelieveable. If I had no other knowledge of the car except that it was a 25K-27K Subaru, I'd swear it had springs and sways done. And NO butt-dragging!

For the driving experience, the interior feels both smaller and of similar size. Left to right the interior feels about the same as the Leggy. But the roof is much lower, making the windshield seem smaller. Your first impression is that forward visibility is less until you realize that it's only vertical height that's missing and it's not that important. The big thing that I love is your seating position relative to the console. In the Leggy, even with the seat all the way down, you got the feeling of a high seating position, as if you were on the car rather than in it. In the BRZ you feel IN the car. Even moreso than the Impreza. Sitting in the BRZ feels more like a ****pit than any other car I've sat in since my '98 Trans Am.

Back seat.. well, that's pretty obvious.

Driving the BRZ, it feels like it's half the weight of the spec.B. It's crisp and responsive and rides the road rather than floats above it. It is exactly the change I wanted from the spec.B.

Now if only my friend who gets stuck in the back seat will forgive me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Draco-REX For This Useful Post:
Subaruwrxfan (05-30-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #28
Subaruwrxfan

Drives: 2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
I never really felt "connected" with my spec.B. It always felt like there was this fuzzy barrier between me and the car. The steering was ok, but the shifter was too smooth, the throttle pedal was laggy, the ride was soft but unresponsive, it leaned in the corners too much, and I was never comfortable with the butt-dragging that the Leggys do.

All of this is gone with the BRZ.

The steering is heavier and much more direct. The shifter is short and precise with just enough mechanical feel, IMO. The throttle was a little soft off the dealership lot, but it was just the usual Subaru blank ECU pedal. It's very responsive now that I've driven it 50 miles (as good if not better than my 07 STI's pedal.) The ride is firm but not harsh, and the suspension is unbelieveable. If I had no other knowledge of the car except that it was a 25K-27K Subaru, I'd swear it had springs and sways done. And NO butt-dragging!

For the driving experience, the interior feels both smaller and of similar size. Left to right the interior feels about the same as the Leggy. But the roof is much lower, making the windshield seem smaller. Your first impression is that forward visibility is less until you realize that it's only vertical height that's missing and it's not that important. The big thing that I love is your seating position relative to the console. In the Leggy, even with the seat all the way down, you got the feeling of a high seating position, as if you were on the car rather than in it. In the BRZ you feel IN the car. Even moreso than the Impreza. Sitting in the BRZ feels more like a ****pit than any other car I've sat in since my '98 Trans Am.

Back seat.. well, that's pretty obvious.

Driving the BRZ, it feels like it's half the weight of the spec.B. It's crisp and responsive and rides the road rather than floats above it. It is exactly the change I wanted from the spec.B.

Now if only my friend who gets stuck in the back seat will forgive me.
Thanks, that really helped me to visualize what it's like! I know you haven't gotten the car broken in yet, but have you found yourself missing the extra power of the spec b, or does it feel like they're about the same?