follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #57
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Drives: Perrin/VORTECH Supercharger TestBRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
supercharged track car with headers I can drive to work
Huehuecoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #58
ib

Drives: FR-S Lava, MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've been DDing mine since January, and I'm very happy. The ride is firm, but it doesn't beat you up.

As noted, if you are a person of size, the seats may not work for you. Also, getting in and out of the car can be a little challenging, especially when you're parked facing uphill. Not a problem for me, but my dad looked like he was struggling with the dismount.
ib is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ib For This Useful Post:
Mikem53 (04-14-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #59
WillBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Coming from a large body luxury sports car and always driving large luxury sedans and SUV's (sportiest car we own is a e92) the BRZ is really uncomfortable I catch myself avoiding all bumps because I hitting a big bump on the freeway will have you hitting your head on the roof.
WillBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #60
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
having driven a 35-year old datsun 280Z as my daily driver for the past 28 years, the BRZ is almost luxurious

only minor complaint is the long door - makes it difficult to get out of or get in if someone parks close to the driver side.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #61
FRSupra

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'll second the poor paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh944 View Post
Fixed it for ya!
haha, I have a slim frame and actually I put these seats as the seocnd most comfortable sport seat behind the evo x's recaros. Those are the best seats I've ever sat in.
(not talking luxury cars of course)
FRSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #62
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
having driven a 35-year old datsun 280Z as my daily driver for the past 28 years, the BRZ is almost luxurious

only minor complaint is the long door - makes it difficult to get out of or get in if someone parks close to the driver side.
Wow.. A new car must be a real teat for you.. 28 years .. I sometimes can't make it past 28 months in the same car... Congrats to you on your new ride.. You deserve it.. :happy0180:
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #63
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
Wow.. A new car must be a real teat for you.. 28 years .. I sometimes can't make it past 28 months in the same car... Congrats to you on your new ride.. You deserve it.. :happy0180:
thank you! we've had new cars, but they've been 'family cars' (we bought a 2013 outback last year). but the BRZ is MINE!

here's the 280 that's gotta go. the BRZ and Z are actually very similar in overall length, width and height, but the BRZ has a longer wheelbase.

shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #64
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
The blind spots, annoying clutch in 1st and 2nd, torque dip, poor radio reception, lack of keyless/pushbutton start (yeah, I could have spent 3k more for the top-end BRZ - not worth it), length of time to full warmup, hard body panel by my knee, and slight difficulty getting in are my issues with the car.

So what will I do? Just have to turn my neck and adjust the mirrors for seeing. I believe some work on the clutch cylinders can fix the clutch. I'll eventually turbo for the torque dip. I've already ordered an 18" antenna that reportedly fixes reception. There are choices for pushbutton out there. I haven't fully researched which I'll go with yet, but I'm hoping for one that will just use my cellphone so I can carry one less key. Perhaps a new thermostat could change the warmup, but I think it's just thermodynamics I'm complaining about, having come from a large V8 that burned way more fuel just puttering. A few vendors have padded panels for the knee area so I'll go with theirs or make my own. Last of all, I'm just too fat and have bad knees, so I have a technique where I lower myself in from the A-pillar.

My complaints about the BMW 550i E60 were that it was too heavy, too fuel hungry, too expensive to maintain, too wide, and too unreliable. The FR-S fixes all of those complaints that could not be fixed without replacing the car. My complaints about the FR-S can be fixed.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Mikem53 (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #65
Mikem53

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
thank you! we've had new cars, but they've been 'family cars' (we bought a 2013 outback last year). but the BRZ is MINE!

here's the 280 that's gotta go. the BRZ and Z are actually very similar in overall length, width and height, but the BRZ has a longer wheelbase.

Classic... ! Nice looking Z.. Looking good after all these years...
Old 04-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #66
Mikem53

Not sure much can be done to adjust the hydraulic clutch.. There is usually some adjustment at the clutch pedal linkage... But not much if any to affect clutch take up.. U just might need to adapt..
Turbo charging is not a fix for low rpm torque.. In fact it adds to it due to lag in spool up.. Great for power up top.. Supercharging is a better solution for low end torque..
Thanks for the feedback..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
The blind spots, annoying clutch in 1st and 2nd, torque dip, poor radio reception, lack of keyless/pushbutton start (yeah, I could have spent 3k more for the top-end BRZ - not worth it), length of time to full warmup, hard body panel by my knee, and slight difficulty getting in are my issues with the car.

So what will I do? Just have to turn my neck and adjust the mirrors for seeing. I believe some work on the clutch cylinders can fix the clutch. I'll eventually turbo for the torque dip. I've already ordered an 18" antenna that reportedly fixes reception. There are choices for pushbutton out there. I haven't fully researched which I'll go with yet, but I'm hoping for one that will just use my cellphone so I can carry one less key. Perhaps a new thermostat could change the warmup, but I think it's just thermodynamics I'm complaining about, having come from a large V8 that burned way more fuel just puttering. A few vendors have padded panels for the knee area so I'll go with theirs or make my own. Last of all, I'm just too fat and have bad knees, so I have a technique where I lower myself in from the A-pillar.

My complaints about the BMW 550i E60 were that it was too heavy, too fuel hungry, too expensive to maintain, too wide, and too unreliable. The FR-S fixes all of those complaints that could not be fixed without replacing the car. My complaints about the FR-S can be fixed.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #67
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
Quote:
Not sure much can be done to adjust the hydraulic clutch.. There is usually some adjustment at the clutch pedal linkage... But not much if any to affect clutch take up.. U just might need to adapt..
Turbo charging is not a fix for low rpm torque.. In fact it adds to it due to lag in spool up.. Great for power up top.. Supercharging is a better solution for low end torque..
Thanks for the feedback..
The torque dip is above where most turbo chargers have already kicked in, around 3500-4000rpm. It's not low-end torque, it's the dip in the middle that most people dislike.

There's may be a valve in the master and slave cylinders that slows clutch engagement. It would explain the poor uptake. I've read an article about someone removing the valves in another Subaru's cylinders, fixing the problem. It's just a lot of work. Sigh.

As for supercharging, short of a great TVS system, I won't even think about it.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #68
idreamofdrifting

Drives: YUZU FR-S RS 1.0 & AE86 Hatch
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Is it comfortable for your daily use? Is the ride too hard or harsh?
Seats comfy?
Good visibility?
Just want to be sure it's more than just fun...
"...the expression of the love in my eyes for my new RS 1.0 is the exact parallel opposite of bitterness, and hate of all the other FR-S owners that want one but won't admit that they do. " ~idreamofdrifting~
"...the main reason people swap (from Scion to Toyota badges) IMO, is because they're embarrassed at the Scion stigma they themselves are perpetuating..." ~Sho220~

idreamofdrifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #69
Mikem53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
The torque dip is above where most turbo chargers have already kicked in, around 3500-4000rpm. It's not low-end torque, it's the dip in the middle that most people dislike.

There's may be a valve in the master and slave cylinders that slows clutch engagement. It would explain the poor uptake. I've read an article about someone removing the valves in another Subaru's cylinders, fixing the problem. It's just a lot of work. Sigh.

As for supercharging, short of a great TVS system, I won't even think about it.
OK that makes sense on the mid band torque.. I thought we were talking low end..
My M3 had that on the clutch slave.. It was my understanding that it was for
clutch dumping.. To soften the blow from clutch dumps.. It never interfered in
normal or spirited driving.. but others have removed it.. The M has a weak point where
the bolt holding the diff to the frame snaps under hard starts.. I never abused the car but ran it hard with no issues.. thanks
Old 04-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #70
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
I have a choice between jerky first and second gear or burning the clutch. It takes a SLOOOOWW release of the clutch to get it to not jerk. That's what others have said about other cars with release valves. The BMWs are known to have a slow release.