follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
Rai-zero

Drives: Legacy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can't decide to get winter tires for tS?

I have a winter beater which is a Legacy wagon and I could park my tS for the winter. Trying to decide if I should get winter tire package for the tS or no. I still drive the Legacy on bad days but with winter tires I could drive the BRZ periodically.

Any advice?
Rai-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:53 PM   #2
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Well, you simply should NOT drive the tS with the stock tires in cold weather, period. It comes with Pilot Sport 4S summer tires, which are just not safe to drive in below-freezing temperatures (and can actually crack if it's TOO cold - ask the Corvette guys about that.) Michelin even explicitly states this. So if you want to drive it at all, you'll really need winter tires unless you're going to wait for that odd 40+ degree day. With proper winter tires, you could drive it whenever you wanted, but if you have a winter beater, then it's really up to you whether or not you want to bother equipping it for those conditions, and exposing it to the salt.

I just bought the same Pilot Sport 4S tires for my BRZ, and they are currently stacked in the basement awaiting spring here in Chicago. In the meantime, I'm on my winter wheels, ready to take on the snow, as I do every year. It can be a lot of fun, especially when we head up to the frozen lakes of Wisconsin for some ice racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelin on the Pilot Sport 4S
Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.

Last edited by Stang70Fastback; 10-18-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
churchx (10-18-2018), Summerwolf (10-18-2018), Tcoat (10-18-2018), why? (11-12-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai-zero View Post
I have a winter beater which is a Legacy wagon and I could park my tS for the winter. Trying to decide if I should get winter tire package for the tS or no. I still drive the Legacy on bad days but with winter tires I could drive the BRZ periodically.

Any advice?

I have driven mine through part of one winter until I replaced my beater. I leave mine parked during the winter now, and enjoy not caring.

You have an AWD Subaru, and you're questioning whether or not to drive your RWD Subaru during the winter...... this is a no brainer.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Im in DE so similar climate. What was said you don't want to drive on the summer tires snow or not its the below freezing temps that hurt them. You don't need snow tires if you already have a beater. I put all seasons on my stock wheels and roll with them no problem. Even ok with light snow
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #5
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,444 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I'm looking for wheels that will fit over the Brembo brakes in 17x7 or 71/2. Not having much luck so far. I don't want those tires holding the cars weight on freezing cold concrete. Plus, with winters I'll be able to enjoy it on those bright sunny days when the roads are dry.
I'm keeping my '06 STi for my bad weather, DD beater.

Heck, I've been beating on it for 12 years so why stop now! hehe
Attached Images

Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
Rai-zero (10-21-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #6
Rai-zero

I was going back and forth, and finally decided on this.

I bought a set of wheels/tires for the tS, was initially going to buy snow tires but as I won't be driving the tS when it's actually snowing or threatening to snow/ice. I do have an AWD Legacy with snow tires for my real bad weather driving. And in my climate we can have plenty of nice sunny days. I figured to split the difference and buy a set of Michelin® Pilot® Sport A/S 3+

I have a set of these for my Legacy when I take off the snow tires and I was greatly impressed with their performance. I realize the Legacy is not a performance car but they are the best all season tires I have ever owned in my estimation. Will replace the summer tires in the spring.

Apparently they are all season tires (with a dash of snow ability) not anything like snow tires but better than older all season tires had been on the snow.

I was debating to get either 18 or 17 inch wheels and they both are similar width but decided for the 17" to get a bit more sidewall and pot hole protection, will post pictures when they are here.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNpna-ga6YU[/ame]

Last edited by Rai-zero; 11-05-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:29 PM   #7
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
get the toyo celsius tire.. it's not a winter tire, but it's not all-season.. it's somewhere in between!

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/patte...ble-conditions
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:25 PM   #8
Rai-zero

Pardon the dirty car.

I got a set of wheels/tires from TireRack.

Got the Micheline Pilot Sport A/S 3+ went down one size in diameter to 17" but up a half inch in width to 225/45ZR17 on 17x8 inch wheels.

17x8 +42 offset Method Rally wheels MR503 Black Painted which weigh 16.5 lbs

According to Tirerack the wheels/tires 16.5 + 24 (tires) should weight 40.5 lbs each, I have not weighed the wheels yet since I got installed at my tire shop, but I did weigh one of the stock wheel/tires at 42.7 lbs. So they are fairly close.

I just drove a bit (it's sunny and 40 degrees) the tires feel more loose, squishy than my summer tires and seems like I can slide around more but overall about what I was expecting.

I couldn't decide going with 17" (more sidewall) or 18" so went with the smaller wheels which I think are ok except they feel a bit squishy. I don't know if that's due to the larger sidewall or the tire construction or both. I went with +42 which should have put the entire extra width on the outside of the car according to the offset calculators, the front is almost (not quite flush) the back is still pushed in but not as much as stock.

[url]https://www.ft86club.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=172427&stc=1https://www.ft86club.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=https://www.ft86club.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=172429&stc=1&d=1541881 595172428&stc=1&d=1541881595&d=1541881335[/urlhttps://www.ft86club.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=172430&stc=1&d=1541881 595]
Attached Images

Last edited by Rai-zero; 11-10-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #9
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Interesting choice considering your original post was about a winter setup.

Would definitely rather have 215/45/17 blizzaks or hakkas in a winter driving scenario than an all season.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:04 PM   #10
Rai-zero

Quote:
I have a winter beater which is a Legacy wagon and I could park my tS for the winter.

I still drive the Legacy on bad days but with winter tires I could drive the BRZ periodically.

Any advice?
I don't think it's an interesting choice at all. just that I didn't get much/any feedback from the forum regarding my initial question.

I said that I have a winter beater and that I will drive that car on bad days.

I don't need two cars on full snow tires, I have the Legacy for snow days.

Our winter in Maryland is very mixed, I can have 50+ degree days and I can have -1 degree days with rain/snow/ice or sun.

I can't drive my tS with summer tires when it's 37 or colder which is most of the winter, it's 36 degrees today. So I got a set of all season tires so I can drive my BRZ most days and my Legacy when it looks bad. We have weather forecasts so I can see most times when it's going to be snow/ice and not drive my BRZ, if you look at the video I posted above the tires I got by definition are all season, not snow tires but can do in light snow if had to. But like I said 99% won't be driving in snow. heck even when it snows here it's cleared very quickly so last year I might have been out in real snow 2-3 times and with my Legacy that's a piece of cake.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #11
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Interesting choice considering your original post was about a winter setup.

Would definitely rather have 215/45/17 blizzaks or hakkas in a winter driving scenario than an all season.
I can assure you, most of MD has mild winters. Snow tires are overkill especially if you also have a winter beater.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #12
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
I too run all seasons in the winter. Good choice for the Mid-Atlantic.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:20 PM   #13
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
I can assure you, most of MD has mild winters. Snow tires are overkill especially if you also have a winter beater.
All seasons are overkill, especially if you have a DD / beater, lol.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:35 PM   #14
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
All seasons are overkill, especially if you have a DD / beater, lol.
An overkill of moderation? I suppose that's one way to look at it. But I'm gonna leave this one here for you...

o·ver·kill
ˈōvərˌkil
noun
noun: overkill
excessive use, treatment, or action; too much of something.
"animators now face a dilemma of technology overkill"
synonyms: excess, embroidery, embellishment, hyperbole, gilding the lily
"many patients are demanding a battery of tests that their doctors consider overkill"
the amount by which destruction or the capacity for destruction exceeds what is necessary.
"the existing nuclear overkill"