follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #15
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyMi View Post
Good point. Honestly, as far as outside goes, I'd be happy just doing the Toyota badge swaps. Its the interior I wish I could BRZ-ify better. Wish I could find a monogram in my price range hahaha
Quote:
I thought the 10 series still had the 3 knobs instead of all the cool switches and stuff in the BRZ?
nope, 10 series came with the nicer HVAC system & controls like the Monograms...so really the only things you need to replace in the interior if you don't want to see a Scion logo are the steering wheel (easy swap either if you want an aftermarket wheel or the factory BRZ one, there's always someone selling theirs) and the little plastic cover above the glovebox since it illuminates "SCION"

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJaItki3Q1c[/ame]

Quote:
Do I need to avoid 2013 model years altogether?
no, most likely you won't run into too many things but it is still preferable to avoid as it is after all the very first build year...I didn't have any complaints with my '13 but my '16 definitely seemed better put together, no rattles or quirks that I had with the '13.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
RyMi (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 02:49 PM   #16
RyMi

Drives: 2001 Honda Accord
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
nope, 10 series came with the nicer HVAC system & controls like the Monograms...so really the only things you need to replace in the interior if you don't want to see a Scion logo are the steering wheel (easy swap either if you want an aftermarket wheel or the factory BRZ one, there's always someone selling theirs) and the little plastic cover above the glovebox since it illuminates "SCION"

Oh ok! Yeah I’ve been looking online at 10 series and monogram and a lot of them have the knobs. So I’m assuming people are listing their cars incorrectly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RyMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:05 PM   #17
RyMi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post

no, most likely you won't run into too many things but it is still preferable to avoid as it is after all the very first build year...I didn't have any complaints with my '13 but my '16 definitely seemed better put together, no rattles or quirks that I had with the '13.
Gotcha. I'll definitely look for 2014+ if I can but I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be making a huge mistake by going with a 2013 in either car if it had the lowest miles and seemed like the better buy
Old 10-08-2018, 03:32 PM   #18
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Hello! I've chosen the 86 platform for my next daily car after my 300k mile 2001 Accord finally gave out on me. My budget right now is around 13k, and ideally I want a 2013 BRZ Limited with a manual transmission. Those, I can find with around 80-90k on them.

However, I can also find 10 series FRSs with a manual with like 50k on them for about the same price. I prefer the Subaru, and thats what I've been lusting over for the longest time, but should I put aside my preferences and go with the FRS?

I'll be driving the car on almost strictly highways to class during the week and spirited driving on the weekends. No track days or anything.

I'm also assuming I won't be able to talk a dealer down from $14k (around 60k miles on those) or so to 13k on a BRZ Limited. Am I wrong?

PS: I had posted this in the 86 General forum and was redirected here for more Subaru-specific feedback, I'm new here. Also, I have an old truck I can drive in the mean time but I'm lookin to buy an 86 car within a month or so
We can’t tell you what kind of deal that any given dealership or individual would be willing to give you... all that you can do is show up and start negotiating and don’t seem too eager to buy the car. In most cases, it should be easy to negotiate a grand off of a $14k car.
Quote:
Gotcha. I'll definitely look for 2014+ if I can but I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be making a huge mistake by going with a 2013 in either car if it had the lowest miles and seemed like the better buy
I prefer the BRZ as well, but if I were shopping used in the low price range that you are looking at, I would buy the lowest mileage, newest year model car in the best condition that I could find. If you buy one with less than 60k miles and under 5 years old... you would even have some factory drivetrain warranty left. The twins are reliable cars in general... BUT many have been owned by young drivers who have modded and beat the piss out of them and then put them back to stock when it is time to trade in or sell the car. As mentioned, the 13s had some bugs that were later addressed, as is often the case with the first year model of any car. There are no guarantees when you buy a used car with no warranty remaining, it could break the day that you buy it.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #19
RyMi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
We can’t tell you what kind of deal that any given dealership or individual would be willing to give you... all that you can do is show up and start negotiating and don’t seem too eager to buy the car. In most cases, it should be easy to negotiate a grand off of a $14k car.

I prefer the BRZ as well, but if I were shopping used in the low price range that you are looking at, I would buy the lowest mileage, newest year model car in the best condition that I could find. If you buy one with less than 60k miles and under 5 years old... you would even have some factory drivetrain warranty left. The twins are reliable cars in general... BUT many have been owned by young drivers who have modded and beat the piss out of them and then put them back to stock when it is time to trade in or sell the car. As mentioned, the 13s had some bugs that were later addressed, as is often the case with the first year model of any car. There are no guarantees when you buy a used car with no warranty remaining, it could break the day that you buy it.

Yeah, I’ll probably be looking at 10 series/monogram FRSs then unless a perfectly listed BRZ shows up. Luckily I have automotive professionals in my family to help me check cars out, and will be getting a PPI for whatever I think I want to settle on

Old 10-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #20
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
Try private party. Dealers seem to love to add some markup.
Hmmmm that is very odd that they would actually want to turn a profit in their business. I guess you work for free?
Old 10-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #21
Chuckls
Moutain Runner

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Ideally I'd rather do private and just get a PPI. What sucks is I live in Southern Indiana and a 500 mile radius doesnt bring up a whole lot of options for me in my price range. I may have to plan out a trip hahaha
What part of SoIN? Im in SoIN. Louisville / Charlestown.
Chuckls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:49 PM   #22
RyMi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckls View Post
What part of SoIN? Im in SoIN. Louisville / Charlestown.

Newburgh, IN. About 15 mins south of Evansville

Old 10-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #23
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Hmmmm that is very odd that they would actually want to turn a profit in their business. I guess you work for free?

I’m in California. We basically pay to work lol.

My point was more that he would get a better deal than a dealer who would markup something that he would still make a profit on if sold for a fair price.

2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (10-27-2018), Spuds (10-29-2018), Tcoat (10-08-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 07:45 PM   #24
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Do I need to avoid 2013 model years altogether?
No, typical forum stupidity.
2013 is fine.

Get a clean 1-2 owner car that wasn't ruined by mods.
Year doesn't matter. Condition and seller quality do.
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:17 PM   #25
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Lol there's a difference between a successful, honest business that turns a profit on their products and a shitty one that adds shady markups and lies to their customers. Plenty of dealerships with good reputations don't "work for free" lol
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:26 PM   #26
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
I was in the same boat as you. Recently got my '15 BRZ and I'm so happy with it. Paid a little more than I wanted to but it's perfect for me. It depends on where you're at. I found some manual BRZs with decent mileage for about 15k that I'm sure one could talk down about a grand. My advice is don't buy the first one you fall in love with (made that mistake in the past), buy lowest mileage with newest production year and 1-2 owners if possible, and if buying private, always get a PPI. Also, don't get suckered in by dealers. Pay attention and don't be stupid lol Happy shopping man let us know how it goes!
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:47 PM   #27
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I need help. The genesis coupe is really hugging my mind but I also want a brz. Sigh.....

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:02 PM   #28
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
genesis has nicer interior and torque... ft86 is the canyon carver of the two with much better gearbox and seating position.

can you find a place that rents both so you can take them on extended drives?
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote