follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2016, 08:50 AM   #1
MitchEv

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Another newbie, another mod list (Suggestions wanted!)

Hi guys/girls,

I guess I’ll start by introducing myself as this is my first post (despite lurking around these forums most nights for the past few months) and I intend on sticking around for a while yet. I live in sunny Australia and my 2016 WRB BRZ is currently in freight from Japan, so naturally I’ve been going crazy with mod ideas in the meantime. I’m very new to vehicle modding and am under no illusion that I know enough about what I’m talking about to make these decisions on my own.

I’m looking to make some reasonably modest upgrades to the vehicle to improve engine and chassis performance – nothing silly as the car will be my DD until the next time I spontaneously drop $40K on something I don’t really need. Here’s what I’m thinking at the moment. I’m looking for any feedback, comments and suggestions from you guys; particularly those who’ve been in my position and/or been there and done it with these cars.

Wheels & Tyres:

· Ordered the vehicle with Michelin Pilot Sport tyres mounted on 17” STI alloys. Will be upgrading to 18” wheels in the future because 17” doesn’t float my boat.

Suspension:

· Really unsure as I haven’t looked into it enough yet – have seen and heard that the stock setup is ok but nothing to write home about. I’ve heard good and bad things about coil-overs – some input here would be good! I’m looking for a lower stance but I don’t want to be dodging speed bumps like a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Powertrain:

· Sprintex twin screw SC (Innovate for those in the US). Gotta back an Aussie company. Probably only looking for 6-7 psi boost as I don’t want to grenade my engine in the next few years. Don’t really want to deal with the potential heating dramas of a TC and love the low end performance a twin screw offers – particularly on the FA20. Would be open to suggestions for better kits.

Exhaust:

· Invidia Q300 cat-back (quiet setup with a nicer, deeper tone than stock and still makes some noise when you want it to). Should be sufficient with a SC kit, probably under spec for a TC kit given it’s a fairly small ID pipe at 2.36”.

· UEL catless headers if I’m looking for some more dB afterwards (more horses also a nice little perk).

Aesthetics:

· Duckbill rear spoiler (don’t think the GT style wings fit the niche of the car)

· Carbon fibre side mirrors

· Aftermarket headlights and/or taillights

That’s about it at this stage – no doubt the list will grow though as I’ve still got about a 4 week wait ahead of me. I’ll point out that I probably plan on making the wheel s and exhaust mods first, that way if I plan on going boosted reasonably soon I can save some money and leave it until the SC install to get a tune. If I want to wait on the SC (or even decide I don’t want it) then I’ll obviously get a NA spec tune.

Cheers guys, looking forward to your responses and talking FRS/86/BRZ mods in the future!
MitchEv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MitchEv For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #2
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I think you got the cliche down pretty well.

Good luck
Old 04-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
JohnJuan

Drives: 2013 FR-S, Hot Lava; 2012 Z1000 CBO
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Give this a read: How to screw up your cars handling and ride - step by step!
Old 04-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #4
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Better ideas
1. Drive the car and learn what to spend money on instead of throwing it away.
2. Read countless useless threads exactly like this one instead of adding to the dribble.
3. Cancel the order and buy the project brz car for far, far less.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wayno For This Useful Post:
86kahl (04-29-2016), soulreapersteve (04-29-2016), sugoi (04-29-2016), ZionsWrath (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 01:51 PM   #5
COO86L

Drives: 2015 86 GTS + Mitsi Lancer GSR
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
What everyone is trying to say, is welcome to FT86 Club!!

I'm in Aus too and here are my opinions

Wheels & Tyres:

- I'm leaving mine stock, wearing the absolute shit out of the stock 86 rubber and then going to find something nice and sticky to replace them. Stock is good Except I lost 2 wheel nuts so now I need new ones :/

Suspension:

- I initially put in Cusco Street's in mine, cost a butt load and they were crap. I was continuously bottoming out all over the shop. Had to ride on the highest dampener setting just to not bottom out on slight road bumps.
- Swaped the Cusco's out for Eibach Pro Kit springs. Drops the height to a perfect level IMO and they are black so the cops can't really tell (had one get under and inspect and leave very unhappily)

Powertrain:

- I have a Sprintex 210+ or SPS kit. Heat on these kits is a hell of a lot better than the original 210's. Running 69mm pulley with E85 flex tune from Delicious Tuning and looooove it. Pushing over the expected 300whp on corn juice. BUT:
- If I had my time again/didn't get this kit for the price I paid, there is NO WAY I would have been happy with this kit. I would have gone with a turbo set up, such as SBD or AVO for under $5k AUS.
- Take every option you can for a drive!! Anyone is more than welcome to test out my kit and here my opinions. I loooooove my set up, but only for the price I paid. The $7k AUS for the Sprintex SPS kit could buy you an SME/ProSpeedRacing kit with a Blouch or Borg Warner turbo and those kits are Aussie and sexy af

Exhaust:

- Heard only good reports about the Q300. If you are doing Supercharger, you should probably do headers also. Catback will do jack shit to making power.
- I have a Perrin 2.5 resonated, on the stock car with no other exhaust mods, it was quiet. Very quiet. Words cannot describe the quiet.
- Since put on Tomei UEL and SME Overpipe, )with stock front pipe because it was waaay to loud with catless f/p and sc) and makes lovely noise with NO DRONE. I mean no drone. Cruise through tunnels and you can't even hear it. Touch throttle however...

Aesthetics:

- Aesthetics don't make car go faster.

- JK I agree with that stupid spoiler!!! I hates it. I also debadged the front while my bumper was getting resprayed under warranty. Still waiting for colours to settle before I decide if it's matching as best as possible or not.

Anyway, hope that helps!!

P.S. - Don't ask here about tuning options :P You'll be met with the same lovely greetings. I have an opinion on each if you'd like to hear it though
COO86L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #6
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Sound like you have the right idea for a DD car. Check out people's builds in the build thread. It may help give you some ideas and a good canvas as to where to start. The Q300 is awesome. I have it as the rest of my exhaust would be, in my opinion, unbearable. If you don't go with headers or anything, the Q300, Perrin, or Cosworth catbacks are my favorites. But everyone has different tastes.

As for the SC, the 210+ is popular. I like positive displacement kits, but if you want to support a local group, consider Harrop since they have the water-to-air intercooler for efficiency.

And Aero stuff is all subjective as one man's nice is another man's rice.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Add to the list

oil cooler
clutch kit
brake pads\fluid

if you dont have a reputavle local tuner
then get ecutek and a tune from moto east or deliceous tuning they have done lots if fi on 86\brz and have it sorted
they include logging and tweaking in price
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote