follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-17-2019, 01:45 PM   #1233
OwlDance

Drives: Halo 86, '19
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It only took about 9 months of ownership but an older couple pulled up next to me at a stop light after a rather fast and curvy stretch of road a few weeks back. The lady was beaming, asked if it was a Celica and said that the car was beautiful (coincidentally had just waxed the car the day before).

Told them it was a Toyota 86 before a blue civic SI honked impatiently at our behind. The civic pulled next to me at the next stop light not 100 yards further and the guy decided we were racing because I could hear the blatant woosh of his turbo as he zoomed out on green. /shrug

I guess some stereotypes are truer than I thought...and that older people really like how understated this car is. I've only seen about 5-7 ft86s since owning this car, they seem rather rare where I'm at so I'm not surprised at people not knowing this car.
OwlDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:05 PM   #1234
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSK View Post
Some 8 year old kids yelled out "oh cool a lamborghini I want one of those" the other day.

you and me both, kid.
Haha I remember one time a woman with her young son came by asking “excuse me, is that a Lamborgini??” Have you SEEN a Lamborghini? How could you even confuse the two
alphasaur (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 04:12 PM   #1235
LSK

Drives: BRZ Limited w/Performance Package
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've gotten "is that the new supra?" twice recently too.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2019, 10:14 PM   #1236
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSK View Post
I've gotten "is that the new supra?" twice recently too.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Got that a year ago! - weird

From a guy in a pickup truck - x2 weird
Old 06-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #1237
Freerider

Drives: 2015 f150 crew cab 4x4 '13 FRSraven
At the Chic Fila drive through window, a teenage guy says "Is that the Scion FRS?" "Yes" I replied. "Does it have the Porsche Boxster engine?" he asked. "No, it's a Subaru Boxer engine." "My Dad has a '13 with the Porsche Boxster engine. It'll fly!" "I'm sure" I said, trying to keep a straight face lol
Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freerider For This Useful Post:
Spuds (06-23-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #1238
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Older lady, comes up to me last night sitting in my car... "I like your car, IS IT A SUPRA?".. "No. It's about half the price of one though." "Oh? what is it then?" "It's a Toyota 86" She then gave me a blank stare with hints of confusion.

"Oh wow, well my son just ordered a new Supra and I have been wondering what this car was because I've seen you often. It's really CUTE~~, I love it."

.... "Thanks, I think it's cute too..."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
echo419 (07-15-2019), new2subaru (07-15-2019), Tcoat (07-15-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #1239
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I guess I have a few encounters I could share...

This one will sound made up, but a few months ago I was making a left turn at a light and there was I think a Civic in the perpendicular left turn (the one you drive past as you turn), and I could hear the guy exclaim what sounded like, "Is that a race-!?" I'm pretty sure he thought he had just seen a racecar.

Some time before that there was a group of punks (I'm not that old, but these were obviously punks) on the sidewalk in my subdivision and as I drove past I heard one of them say, "You should give me your car, bro."

And just this Saturday I got her a much needed bath (I had a coupon for the executive wash with the towel dry) and a couple of the guys kept going, "Is that an 86?" to each other. I'm actually not sure if they liked it or not because I just kept hearing them talk about it being an 86.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:36 PM   #1240
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
I guess I have a few encounters I could share...

This one will sound made up, but a few months ago I was making a left turn at a light and there was I think a Civic in the perpendicular left turn (the one you drive past as you turn), and I could hear the guy exclaim what sounded like, "Is that a race-!?" I'm pretty sure he thought he had just seen a racecar.

Some time before that there was a group of punks (I'm not that old, but these were obviously punks) on the sidewalk in my subdivision and as I drove past I heard one of them say, "You should give me your car, bro."

And just this Saturday I got her a much needed bath (I had a coupon for the executive wash with the towel dry) and a couple of the guys kept going, "Is that an 86?" to each other. I'm actually not sure if they liked it or not because I just kept hearing them talk about it being an 86.
The Lava colour messes with a lot of people's heads. It is rare enough that it seems like it is some exotic instead of a plain old FRS/86 in a flashy outfit.
Nevermore (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 03:35 PM   #1241
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The Lava colour messes with a lot of people's heads. It is rare enough that it seems like it is some exotic instead of a plain old FRS/86 in a flashy outfit.
True story, the main reason I had to get it in orange is because a long time ago, before I was really even into cars, I had decided I would one day own an exotic, and it would have to be orange. Orange exotics sold me on sports cars entirely. I almost got it in black so I could put NVRMOR on the license plate (the color being Raven being the main reason), but when I saw orange as an option it was too easy. I liked it so much I've had two.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:48 PM   #1242
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
True story, the main reason I had to get it in orange is because a long time ago, before I was really even into cars, I had decided I would one day own an exotic, and it would have to be orange. Orange exotics sold me on sports cars entirely. I almost got it in black so I could put NVRMOR on the license plate (the color being Raven being the main reason), but when I saw orange as an option it was too easy. I liked it so much I've had two.
Wait so you do have that custom plate? I think they're pretty cool and want one so bad lol
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:04 PM   #1243
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

I haven't gotten much attention in it. Guess it being in boring white doesn't help lol such a big city with tons of badass cars.

I was driving with the windows down and these two teenagers were walking down the sidewalk and as I drive by, one of them says "Look at that car" while pointing at it. Not really a compliment, but meh lol My family really loves it though. Especially the older ones who had like MKIII Supras and similar in the 90s. Although I always get a look of disappointment when I tell them it's an automatic which is always the first question lol
Old 07-23-2019, 05:32 PM   #1244
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,569 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will BRZ View Post
I haven't gotten much attention in it. Guess it being in boring white doesn't help lol such a big city with tons of badass cars.

I was driving with the windows down and these two teenagers were walking down the sidewalk and as I drive by, one of them says "Look at that car" while pointing at it. Not really a compliment, but meh lol My family really loves it though. Especially the older ones who had like MKIII Supras and similar in the 90s. Although I always get a look of disappointment when I tell them it's an automatic which is always the first question lol
Lol you're in Houston bro. Aren't there thousands of twins there? Compared to Austin hahaha

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:42 PM   #1245
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Lol you're in Houston bro. Aren't there thousands of twins there? Compared to Austin hahaha
Yes there are plenty lol kinda sucks, but pretty cool at the same time

I've taken trips to San Antonio and Austin recently and didn't see much haha
Old 07-23-2019, 06:09 PM   #1246
eastendraceshop

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S & '17 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Me: *Fender liner starts dragging on the road while driving, pulls over into a boba shop to fix it*

Guy walking to his car: "Your car is dragging on the floor!!! But it still looks very nice though!"

Me: Thanks!
eastendraceshop is offline   Reply With Quote