follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2019, 05:19 PM   #169
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I wouldn't.
But I would go for an LFA, Porsche Carerra GT (obvious reasons....dat V10) or a Bugatti Veyron/Chiron (Just cuz..)

I'd probably go a tier lower and get a Aston Martin, or Mercedes Benz AMG GT (or SLS) Maserati Gran Turismo, Lexus LC, Lexus RC-F.

Stuff that's less showy and more "I can actually drive this thing around, and could get away with cold weather driving even though it wouldn't be fun seeing the car get snowed on."
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:35 PM   #170
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Everything is relative. I grew up with a guy who's family started with a tiny store when we were kids, and now has 33 big stores. He runs them now and has a ton of money he has an R8 as his daily. Every time I see him it is full of junk food wrappers, dirty as heck. It is like a Honda civic to him.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #171
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
nope, id put that money into private race instruction at HPDE's. i stopped idolizing performance cars and idolizing people who own performance cars. I started idolizing people with driver/rider skill. Do a trackday in your hellcat and struggle to keep up with the race instructor whose in a miata and after you pull your tail out of between your legs youll say, hmmm its not about the car is it? not at all.
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HaXx For This Useful Post:
bcj (06-13-2019), BlueWhelan (06-13-2019), Captain Snooze (07-02-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #172
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
nope, id put that money into private race instruction at HPDE's. i stopped idolizing performance cars and idolizing people who own performance cars. I started idolizing people with driver/rider skill. Do a trackday in your hellcat and struggle to keep up with the race instructor whose in a miata and after you pull your tail out of between your legs youll say, hmmm its not about the car is it? not at all.
This times a million. After my first autocross, I realized that driving a car quickly around a course is way more fun than cruising down the street in a cool looking car. I watched a guy in a Civic EF hatch with (I believe) zero power mods smoke a Porsche Cayman, Alfa 4C, GTR, etc.

That said, I'd get a Stinger or a G70
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
ermax (06-14-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 07:05 PM   #173
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
This times a million. After my first autocross, I realized that driving a car quickly around a course is way more fun
better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
c'mon i will laugh out loud EVERY SINGLE TIME i see a turbo civic's pull on a supercar
i used to see guys in sick cars and say " damn i want to be him"
now i see race instructors in shitbox unidentifiable cars roasting the track and now i say "damn i want to be him!" because he has something that you cant simply buy, but earn.
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:24 PM   #174
LancePower

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
I wouldn't.
But I would go for an LFA, Porsche Carerra GT (obvious reasons....dat V10) or a Bugatti Veyron/Chiron (Just cuz..)

I'd probably go a tier lower and get a Aston Martin, or Mercedes Benz AMG GT (or SLS) Maserati Gran Turismo, Lexus LC, Lexus RC-F.

Stuff that's less showy and more "I can actually drive this thing around, and could get away with cold weather driving even though it wouldn't be fun seeing the car get snowed on."

You can get a good used RC-F for $40K. Do it!
LancePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:35 PM   #175
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
c'mon i will laugh out loud EVERY SINGLE TIME i see a turbo civic's pull on a supercar
i used to see guys in sick cars and say " damn i want to be him"
now i see race instructors in shitbox unidentifiable cars roasting the track and now i say "damn i want to be him!" because he has something that you cant simply buy, but earn.
Yup. The guy in question apparently won 8 out of 8 classes in this autocross last year.

He rode along with me in my last run of the day, and I asked him to be very critical of everything and he did not do that. Instead what he did was at the end of the run, told me to find and empty bit of parking lot and then said "your steering inputs are bad, you steer too much. Keep both hands on the wheel and watch how tight you can turn just with your arms as far as they go at 9 and 3". I have the ultimate respect for this guy. Dude knows how good he is and all he wants to do is try to get people on his level. I wish I could be half as good as him.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:51 PM   #176
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
This times a million. After my first autocross, I realized that driving a car quickly around a course is way more fun than cruising down the street in a cool looking car. I watched a guy in a Civic EF hatch with (I believe) zero power mods smoke a Porsche Cayman, Alfa 4C, GTR, etc.

Lol. Sounds like a first time auto crosser. Yes grasshopper. It is humbling. Wait till you get on a track. You will learn again how much you suck at driving. 80% driver, 20% car.

Are you boring your friends on how you are now a better driver?
Old 06-14-2019, 12:40 AM   #177
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Lol. Sounds like a first time auto crosser. Yes grasshopper. It is humbling. Wait till you get on a track. You will learn again how much you suck at driving. 80% driver, 20% car.

Are you boring your friends on how you are now a better driver?
I'm not a better driver. I improved 0% in overall skill. The only thing I did was think I was better than I actually am, and end up with slower times as a result
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #178
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
I'm not a better driver. I improved 0% in overall skill. The only thing I did was think I was better than I actually am, and end up with slower times as a result
I'm just giving you shit. Glad you had fun. You will improve.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Cole (06-16-2019), Ultramaroon (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #179
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePower View Post
You can get a good used RC-F for $40K. Do it!
I actually want an LC at some point in the future but the more affordable option in the RC-F would be a good consolation prize lol.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:28 PM   #180
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Super valuable experience. I know it well.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:03 PM   #181
OwlDance

Drives: Halo 86, '19
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Honestly even with the money I'd never buy an exotic, simply because the costs are so impractical I'd balk at driving it. But if we're going all the way I'd guess the first generation Aventador (I hate the new front bumpers of the refresh) just because it's incredibly in your face, and I actually like its lines and aggressiveness.

I do like the new Alpine A110 though. Beautiful car, light as a Miata, 1.8l turbo with ~240 HP, mid/rear engine layout, with a seven speed gearbox included in that package. Now that's a dream lightweight car but sadly not for America.
OwlDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:13 PM   #182
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
To go along with your sick, modded Genesis Coupe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
I actually want an LC at some point in the future but the more affordable option in the RC-F would be a good consolation prize lol.
The LC is a hot car. The RC, well, my hairdresser has one. I called it an IS accidentally. She nearly cut my ear off. My point is that it's not all that hot a car. The LC is artwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlDance View Post
Honestly even with the money I'd never buy an exotic, simply because the costs are so impractical I'd balk at driving it. But if we're going all the way I'd guess the first generation Aventador (I hate the new front bumpers of the refresh) just because it's incredibly in your face, and I actually like its lines and aggressiveness.

I do like the new Alpine A110 though. Beautiful car, light as a Miata, 1.8l turbo with ~240 HP, mid/rear engine layout, with a seven speed gearbox included in that package. Now that's a dream lightweight car but sadly not for America.
I sold the BMW because I was too afraid to thrash it. Plus shit kept breaking, so I hear you.

However the Alpina? Why not just get a Lotus?
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote