follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-17-2024, 11:33 PM   #1
KiK

Drives: 19’ GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
JDM TRD Monoblock brake Kit, replacement rotor?

Hi,

I couldn't find any information regarding this anywhere in the internet.
I want to get myself the TRD 4pot/2pot brake kit for my 19 86, part number MS220-18004, It is my understanding that such parts are rarer in the US but at least to get them here in Europe they have a good value proposition plus they look really good, compliment my TRD collection and have Project Mu pads available for them (which is a brand I am loyal to regarding brake pads).

Picture of said kit.

My problem is, while the installation manual states: Replacement discs for the front 43512-TU100 & 43512-TU110 and for the back 42431-TU100 and 42431-TU110, I can't find those anywhere nor I can't find aftermarket equivalents.

What I will be asking here is indeed a noob question but when time comes, do I actually have to replace them with that part number or I just need discs with the same bolt pattern, thickness and diameter?

Finally, I can't comprehend how hard can it be to find replacement parts, the same kit is not only still in production, but a new kit with part number MS220-18005 has been released for the GR86, which is exactly the same thing but with a GR logo stamped on.

Does anyone here also has this kit?
KiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 11:43 PM   #2
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Not so much as rare in the USA but rare anywhere. Better can be had for less kind of thing.

Bolt pattern, thickness, diameter AND spacing. Both to make the rotor sit in the middle of the caliper and to make sure the inside area will fit bot the pad and not interfere with the caliper.

And if what you said is true that the new kit is the same what's stopping you from getting replacement rotors for those numbers?
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 10:07 AM   #3
KiK

Drives: 19’ GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Not so much as rare in the USA but rare anywhere. Better can be had for less kind of thing.

Bolt pattern, thickness, diameter AND spacing. Both to make the rotor sit in the middle of the caliper and to make sure the inside area will fit bot the pad and not interfere with the caliper.

And if what you said is true that the new kit is the same what's stopping you from getting replacement rotors for those numbers?

Thanks for the reply, I believe their value is pretty good since they cost 2800€ to buy, and I pay around 450€ import tax on them. PMU BBK costs almost that for the front alone, AP Racing goes for almost 6000€ front and back.

So, finding aftermarket replacements off the shelf will be next to impossible, I'm guessing...

The new kit uses the same part number for rotors...
KiK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KiK For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 10:39 AM   #4
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Aftermarket is gonna be hard as hell with out knowing the exact measurements.
It'll either be easy or impossible. Also just thought of this... Since the e/parking brake uses shoes in the rear you also need to make sure that's a ting to look for also.

As for the price, yeah that's actually no that bad, I'm used to them being 3800€ before the import tax.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 12:51 PM   #5
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiK View Post
Hi,

I couldn't find any information regarding this anywhere in the internet.
I want to get myself the TRD 4pot/2pot brake kit for my 19 86, part number MS220-18004, It is my understanding that such parts are rarer in the US but at least to get them here in Europe they have a good value proposition plus they look really good, compliment my TRD collection and have Project Mu pads available for them (which is a brand I am loyal to regarding brake pads).

Picture of said kit.

My problem is, while the installation manual states: Replacement discs for the front 43512-TU100 & 43512-TU110 and for the back 42431-TU100 and 42431-TU110, I can't find those anywhere nor I can't find aftermarket equivalents.

What I will be asking here is indeed a noob question but when time comes, do I actually have to replace them with that part number or I just need discs with the same bolt pattern, thickness and diameter?

Finally, I can't comprehend how hard can it be to find replacement parts, the same kit is not only still in production, but a new kit with part number MS220-18005 has been released for the GR86, which is exactly the same thing but with a GR logo stamped on.

Does anyone here also has this kit?
This is part of the reason why a lot of people don't get boutique/obscure brake systems. You get locked into niche ecosystems because of unique parts and compatibility. The Brembo 326mm isn't special, but a bunch of cars use it and a lot of manufacturers make replacement pads and rotors.

From what I recall, the 4pot 345mm/2pot 330mm TRD/GR BBK is made by Advics/Aisin https://www.trdparts.jp/parts/archiv..._86-brake.html

You'd have to go do all your own research as far as what pad shapes are compatible and what rotors the system takes. The best place to start probably is getting in touch with an Advics/Aisin distributor and asking if they can give you more info on the rotor specs and pad shapes. However, again there is the problem with dealing with different companies. Advics/Aisin mainly deals with OEM supplies, so it may be challenging to find an outward facing distributor you can talk to about individual customer needs. TRD Japan is also notoriously unhelpful with overseas customer support, so again you'd have to find your own proxy that can help you order parts

Last edited by EndlessAzure; 02-18-2024 at 03:26 PM.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 11:24 AM   #6
Bergycheese348

Drives: TRD Supercharged 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
This is part of the reason why a lot of people don't get boutique/obscure brake systems. You get locked into niche ecosystems because of unique parts and compatibility. The Brembo 326mm isn't special, but a bunch of cars use it and a lot of manufacturers make replacement pads and rotors.

From what I recall, the 4pot 345mm/2pot 330mm TRD/GR BBK is made by Advics/Aisin https://www.trdparts.jp/parts/archiv..._86-brake.html

You'd have to go do all your own research as far as what pad shapes are compatible and what rotors the system takes. The best place to start probably is getting in touch with an Advics/Aisin distributor and asking if they can give you more info on the rotor specs and pad shapes. However, again there is the problem with dealing with different companies. Advics/Aisin mainly deals with OEM supplies, so it may be challenging to find an outward facing distributor you can talk to about individual customer needs. TRD Japan is also notoriously unhelpful with overseas customer support, so again you'd have to find your own proxy that can help you order parts
A lot of the times 'obscure' brake kits have more common specs than you would think. The issue is that companies (like TRD) that use another companies BBK (Brembo/Advics) do not list the rotor sizes because usually the people that have these parts have access to more of the company in general. I am getting the TRD 6 piston monobloc setup here soon, and the replacement rotor numbers are stated in the manual, but they are no longer in production. That kit is based off of Brembo, and a buddy of mine works at Brembo, so in order to get the 'OEM' rotors I would just enter in the product number for the Brembo equivalent and they would pop up. Advics should have a similar system, and if not then just asking customer support should be able to get it (or just ask for rotors for the Advics equivalent).

TRD Japan is a hard one to work with in the US for one main reason. Toyota Technocraft (TRD Japan) North America no longer exists. Similar to how you would not contact Toyota (as a whole) for anything, you would contact Toyota Motors (US) which is very loosely affiliated with the actual Toyota. It is weird how it works, I know. The reason why TRD is hard to contact is because they are mostly focused on the Japanese market, their 'distributors' are setup so they should cover the world, but they also do not always update their page, and in the instance of the US distributor they have not been around in a long time. Other distrubutors also do not like dealing with other countries at all for the same reason.

OP, try contacting the 'UK' distrubutor. sales@fensport.co.uk and the two 'contact person' are Mr. Adrian Smith and Mr. Dan Handley (according to TRD).

T RD, Verus, Ace
Bergycheese348 is offline   Reply With Quote