follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
jm1681

Drives: MKVI VW GTI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Throttle Dead Spot?

I apologize, I looked around and tried searching but didn't know what terms to really look for

I brought my car in to Toyota on Wednesday night for an oil change, and was told there was an ECM update available as well. So, after waiting 90 minutes for them to do whatever, I was told they couldn't do the update for some reason. I didn't really care, I just wanted my car back so I could go get food.

But, when I got in the car, it was like the first half inch of my throttle's travel was dead. It used to be that I breathed on it the wrong way and the engine revved. Now when I tap it as I used to, the revs actually DROP for a second.

Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? I was thinking of pulling the negative and letting the car sit over night, but I don't know if that's going to help or not
jm1681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1681 View Post
Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? I was thinking of pulling the negative and letting the car sit over night, but I don't know if that's going to help or not
Hmm...

You might be on the right track; after flashing the ECM, the car may need to re-learn its basic functions. I understand it does that when its new. My system was odd when I first drove it, too, but that was when it was brand new and "un-driven." I don't know whether disconnecting the battery would make a difference, but I don't see how it could hurt. It may be unnecessary.

Check the owner's manual first, though, because I seem to recall reading something about resetting some things if the battery has been disconnected. You'll probably have to re-do the radio, NAV, etc. Can't recall...

I'd think, otherwise, that you just need to drive it for a while, an hour or so, maybe? I think I'd drive it briskly; "teach" it to go fast, you know? What the heck? Maybe do this first, then try disconnecting the battery if this fails to restore normal behavior.

Let us know how this works out, won't you, please? I'd be interested in hearing.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
Skye (03-01-2013)
Old 03-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
jm1681

It's SO strange For a while I was thinking that maybe they put heavier oil in it, but the car doesn't feel anymore or less slugish. It's just that initial response that is for lack of a better word "numb".

This morning I tried it further by very slowly rolling on the throttle and it literally did NOTHING for the first 3/4" of pedal travel. That's just not right :/
Old 03-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Drive it around for a bit. Within 50 miles it should be back to normal. If not, battery disconnect and try again. I've seen that happen after flashing an aftermarket tune and then touching the accelerator before letting it idle for a bit.

The ECU is learning after a reset, that's all.

I'm curious as to why they couldn't flash the ECU though - you don't have an aftermarket tune on it do you?
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
jm1681

That's what I was hoping for I'm trying to not let it get me down, it's just super-awkward pulling away from a stop now I've come closer to stalling these past two days than I have since I got the car in August >.<

I do NOT have a tune. Only mod is a Nameless Trackpipe. I'm planning to put a panel filter in it (Apex'i), so I figured worse comes to worse that would probably liven up the response a bit, but still, it was nice the way it was At this point, it's such a drastic departure from how it was, I feel like I don't know how to drive the damn thing anymore.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Quote:
That's what I was hoping for I'm trying to not let it get me down, it's just super-awkward pulling away from a stop now I've come closer to stalling these past two days than I have since I got the car in August >.<

I do NOT have a tune. Only mod is a Nameless Trackpipe. I'm planning to put a panel filter in it (Apex'i), so I figured worse comes to worse that would probably liven up the response a bit, but still, it was nice the way it was At this point, it's such a drastic departure from how it was, I feel like I don't know how to drive the damn thing anymore.
If the thing is actually bogging and stalling on you, I'd clear the ECU with the battery disconnect. Once you reconnect it, start the engine and stay off the gas pedal for a minute, then drive it for a while to have it learn.

Not saying that this is the right fix, but this is typically what we do with we flash an aftermarket tune, except there's no need to disconnect the battery since the reflash resets the ECU anyway.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
That's strange, I know what you are experiencing. The wierd thing is that with the stock intake I never have any issues at all with dead pedal. The only time I ever have dead pedal is with an aftermarket intake. Check your intake to see if they were messing around with it, check the tubes and everything making sure it is tight and also check to see if your filter is seating properly because they may have opened it and not sealed it properly. You just never know..

If everything is good, just reset your ECU and drive it for a few hundred miles and you should be good to go.

Quote:
I was told they couldn't do the update for some reason. I didn't really care, I just wanted my car back so I could go get food.
You sir, made my day.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Quote:
I was told they couldn't do the update for some reason. I didn't really care, I just wanted my car back so I could go get food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMaster View Post
You sir, made my day.
A man's gotta eat!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
jm1681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
If the thing is actually bogging and stalling on you, I'd clear the ECU with the battery disconnect...
It never straight up stalled on me, but there is a definite bog. It just doesn't DO anything when I tap the throttle the way I always have, but I'm still clutching like normal; hence the near stall

Quote:
That's strange, I know what you are experiencing. The wierd thing is that with the stock intake I never have any issues at all with dead pedal. The only time I ever have dead pedal is with an aftermarket intake. Check your intake to see if they were messing around with it...
I'll check it out I don't hear anything strange in terms of induction, but it can't hurt to check.

Quote:
You sir, made my day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
A man's gotta eat!
Foobar speaks not in riddle, but fact. I ate four bags of Combos while I was waiting >.<
Old 03-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I had the same experience. Couldn't do the reflash,ordered a new ECM and the throttle felt a bit dead for awhile. It came back after about 100 miles but doesn't seem normal until the engine is fully warmed up.

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
FReSh
Dirt Trackin'

Drives: '13 Raven FR-S MT
The car that I test drove at the dealership did this as well. It only had 16 miles on it, though. Actually stalled it pulling out of the parking lot when I had to stop on a slight hill. I'd imagine your problem should go away once the ECU goes through it's test/cycle etc.
FReSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
jm1681

Quote:
Originally Posted by russv View Post
I had the same experience. Couldn't do the reflash,ordered a new ECM and the throttle felt a bit dead for awhile. It came back after about 100 miles but doesn't seem normal until the engine is fully warmed up.
Interesting. Your DID come back to normal though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FReSh View Post
The car that I test drove at the dealership did this as well. It only had 16 miles on it, though. Actually stalled it pulling out of the parking lot when I had to stop on a slight hill. I'd imagine your problem should go away once the ECU goes through it's test/cycle etc.
Cool I really hope so. I friggin' love the car, but it's just terrible feeling the way it does
Old 03-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Interesting. Your DID come back to normal though?

Cool I really hope so. I friggin' love the car, but it's just terrible feeling the way it does
It did come back to normal. The ECM upgrade had to do with the coolant system in order to make it warm up faster. Once the engine is warm it seems to run fine.

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
jm1681

Update: The car either feels better, or I'm just getting used to it. It's hard to say

You know how when stuff like this happens, and you KNOW something is different, but you don't remember all of the symptoms BEFORE they were there?

I'm dealing and everything feels more natural than it did the other day, but I'd still swear that it's not snapping to life as quickly as it was
The Following User Says Thank You to jm1681 For This Useful Post:
Porsche (03-04-2013)