follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 12-07-2017, 08:45 AM   #15
zkahle

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertLava View Post
I'm interested in getting Xpel ultimate for my front bumper, headlights, mirrors, full fenders, full hood, A pillars, and roof.

Does your paint looks different on the raw (un-Xpel'd) paint on the door compared to a piece covered by Xpel like your bumper. I don't want to have a "two tone" car after a number of years.

Also, is it possible to drill through Xpel or attach things to Xpel using adhesives? I'm thinking of using my 86 as a dedicated track car in the future. I would want to install canards on my fenders and a lower front lip on my bumper. Would I need to drill through The Xpel to install them? Or will it stay on with glue/adhesives of some kind?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Addressing your first question, the XPEL film is very much indistinguishable from the uncovered surfaces of my car. The only places you can somewhat tell that I have film on the car is on a panel that is only half covered with it. So if you were to look at the my doors where only the bottom half is covered you would notice a little line upon inspection. The wrapped and unwrapped surfaces are exactly the same color you will just see that line (border between film and paint) if your car is a little dirty. If you look at my original photos you can see this line in some of the shots, specifically the one take from the rear of the car, the close up photo of my rear bumper definitely shows the border that I am talking about.

Second) yes you can drill through it. I was able to attach a quick release to my front bumper drilling directly through the film. My bumper has come off so many times from the SC install that it no longer sat flush.

Hope that this has helped.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:47 PM   #16
DesertLava

Drives: '17 Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkahle View Post
Addressing your first question, the XPEL film is very much indistinguishable from the uncovered surfaces of my car. The only places you can somewhat tell that I have film on the car is on a panel that is only half covered with it. So if you were to look at the my doors where only the bottom half is covered you would notice a little line upon inspection. The wrapped and unwrapped surfaces are exactly the same color you will just see that line (border between film and paint) if your car is a little dirty. If you look at my original photos you can see this line in some of the shots, specifically the one take from the rear of the car, the close up photo of my rear bumper definitely shows the border that I am talking about.

Second) yes you can drill through it. I was able to attach a quick release to my front bumper drilling directly through the film. My bumper has come off so many times from the SC install that it no longer sat flush.

Hope that this has helped.
Awesome, thanks for the detailed reply. I was torn between doing just the parts that see the brunt of the impact vs. the whole car. I'm not going to go for the full car now.

What kind of rubber side skirt is that? Along the bottom of your doors. Definitely want to install those as well. Your car looks great!

DesertLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #17
zkahle

Garage
Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the detailed reply. I was torn between doing just the parts that see the brunt of the impact vs. the whole car. I'm not going to go for the full car now.

What kind of rubber side skirt is that? Along the bottom of your doors. Definitely want to install those as well. Your car looks great!

So I know I'm about to receive so much hate and criticism for admitting this but they are EZ Lips lol. They are inexpensive, flexible, and virtually indestructible. Unless you touch it or get up close it looks like just another side skirt. I wouldn't go as far to use it as a front lip tho.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:42 AM   #18
DesertLava

Quote:
So I know I'm about to receive so much hate and criticism for admitting this but they are EZ Lips lol. They are inexpensive, flexible, and virtually indestructible. Unless you touch it or get up close it looks like just another side skirt. I wouldn't go as far to use it as a front lip tho.
I think they're a great solution for something that you daily drive. I don't mind the look and I bet it provides good protection against stuff kicking up off the ground at a high angle vertically. I have a Hot Lava so it will be definitely more pronounced to see a greyish/black lip on the bottom, but I plan to run a matte black wheel setup soon.

Do the EZ lips come precut for specific cars? Where did you buy them from and how do they install?

Thanks!

Old 12-08-2017, 06:51 PM   #19
zkahle

Garage
Quote:
I think they're a great solution for something that you daily drive. I don't mind the look and I bet it provides good protection against stuff kicking up off the ground at a high angle vertically. I have a Hot Lava so it will be definitely more pronounced to see a greyish/black lip on the bottom, but I plan to run a matte black wheel setup soon.

Do the EZ lips come precut for specific cars? Where did you buy them from and how do they install?

Thanks!

I forget where I got mine but I would like to say amazon. They do not come pre cut per car however there are different sizes to their lips. They attach via 3m double sided tape. They have been on for 4 years now and aren't coming loose at all.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #20
DesertLava

Quote:
I forget where I got mine but I would like to say amazon. They do not come pre cut per car however there are different sizes to their lips. They attach via 3m double sided tape. They have been on for 4 years now and aren't coming loose at all.
Just ordered some off Amazon. I got the side skirt ones. Did you apply this over your Xpel film on your rockers? Or straight onto the rockers?

The rockers have textured paint on them, so I assume you did not Xpel that portion of your car?
Old 12-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #21
zkahle

Garage
Quote:
Just ordered some off Amazon. I got the side skirt ones. Did you apply this over your Xpel film on your rockers? Or straight onto the rockers?

The rockers have textured paint on them, so I assume you did not Xpel that portion of your car?
100% correct my friend. They attach to the underside of the rockers.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:14 PM   #22
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
yeah i've seen these used as front lips on other cars (heck, I had one on my srt4) my buddy bought me mine, but EZ Lip on amazon is easy lol
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:23 AM   #23
DesertLava

Quote:
100% correct my friend. They attach to the underside of the rockers.
Just dropped off my Hot Lava 86 to get the Xpel treatment done. Will post pictures when I can! Although my car was in GREAT company at the shop today.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:23 AM   #24
Windycitystig

Drives:
DesertLava,

How do you like Xpel after a year?

Did you get Xpel put on full hood, front bumper, mirrors, full fender, A-pillars, (partial) roof, and headlights?

Would you do anything differently?

Thanks!
Windycitystig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:56 PM   #25
DesertLava

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrah7 View Post
DesertLava,

How do you like Xpel after a year?

Did you get Xpel put on full hood, front bumper, mirrors, full fender, A-pillars, (partial) roof, and headlights?

Would you do anything differently?

Thanks!
To be honest, I would do it all over again, but maybe skip out on the A pillars, roof, and doors.

As of right now my coverage includes: bumper, lights, hood, a pillars, mirrors, fenders, roof, and doors. The paint is holding up extremely well, the film has already proved itself. Lots of rock chip attempts and all self healed in warm water. I had one larger pebble/rock pop up and hit the film. Punched three 1 mm holes in the film. The film protected the paint or I would have been looking at big rock chips.

At the very least I recommend the bumper and front half of the hood.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #26
rcm47

Drives: 13’ FRS (traded), 18’ CWP BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I’m thinking of getting this done to my car and was wondering if there’s anything i need to get done to the car before this? Like get it detailed? Waxed? Ceramic coated?
rcm47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:57 PM   #27
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,113 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
The paint needs to be corrected prior to the application of the clear bra. Any imperfections will be sealed.
Usually dealers/installers quote your car based on the prep required for the install.

Decontaminated, clayed, and polished. etc.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
rcm47 (06-08-2018)