follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Subaru BRZ > Subaru BRZ General Forum

Subaru BRZ General Forum All discussions about the Subaru BRZ coupe


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-04-2013, 04:28 AM   #1
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race
 
switchlanez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Drives: Subaru Libird
Location: Race Wars
Posts: 3,653
Thanks: 1,050
Thanked 2,704 Times in 1,077 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Litchfield BRZ in EVO's Track Car of the Year 2013

The BRZ in this video has 280 hp/210 lb-ft tq supercharged with suspension/chassis tuned by Litchfield and looks fun to drive! It gets compared against other cars, mostly BEASTS:

McLaren 12C GT Can-Am
Caterham Seven 620R
Radical RXC
BAC Mono
Mini JCW GP
Supercharged Ariel Atom 3.5
Porsche Cayman S

__________________

Last edited by switchlanez; 11-04-2013 at 05:16 AM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to switchlanez For This Useful Post:
AZOOZ_95 (11-20-2013), Bristecom (11-22-2013), brzmaybe (11-16-2013), BRZNutt (11-04-2013), cammaxon (11-16-2013), CBR600RR (11-27-2013), Deepseadiver (11-30-2013), dokterdewe (11-16-2013), FastOnFastOff (11-26-2013), Fly Guy (11-17-2013), Ganthrithor (11-04-2013), Guff (11-18-2013), hmong337 (11-26-2013), ill86 (11-18-2013), kludger (11-04-2013), LeeMaster (11-16-2013), lionbacker54 (11-16-2013), mwjcyber (11-16-2013), PERRIN (11-15-2013), Seanskeezy (11-16-2013), SirBrass (11-18-2013), suaveflooder (11-25-2013), subwaynm (11-16-2013), supra2nv (11-17-2013), Symbiont (11-18-2013), tg_1981 (11-16-2013), ultra (11-20-2013), usdmnotjdm (11-16-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Ganthrithor
Senior Member
 
Ganthrithor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 1,040
Thanks: 1,606
Thanked 627 Times in 332 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'd certainly be curious to drive one. I wonder if throttle response is degraded? The power/torque curves on their website though... I'm filled with want.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
the.big.kahoona
Senior Member
 
the.big.kahoona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: 2013 Raven 86
Location: Dubai
Posts: 166
Thanks: 28
Thanked 62 Times in 39 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Disappointing performance. Barely faster than a stock Mini JCW GP. I know that Mini is a special edition etc... but still...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
the.big.kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: '13 BRZ pretend racecar
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 487
Thanks: 173
Thanked 271 Times in 135 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.big.kahoona View Post
Disappointing performance. Barely faster than a stock Mini JCW GP. I know that Mini is a special edition etc... but still...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Until you realize that it's a 1.6 mile circuit.

I was however, surprised it that it wasn't closer to the Cayman S and would be interested to see how close it gets to a regular Cayman. I suspect the differences are still coming down to power and corner exit grip, both of which the Cayman S have a good bit more of. I'm betting that a good many of his corner exits in the BRZ were tail happy.

I generally suspect that the folks at EVO magazine are just not that good at driving front engine RWD's in a controlled, fast fashion; which is why they seem to think that FWD hot hatches are "better."
s0sl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
636
Senior Member
 
636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: Currently rebuilding.
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,645
Thanks: 1,221
Thanked 1,084 Times in 511 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0sl0w View Post
Until you realize that it's a 1.6 mile circuit.

I was however, surprised it that it wasn't closer to the Cayman S and would be interested to see how close it gets to a regular Cayman. I suspect the differences are still coming down to power and corner exit grip, both of which the Cayman S have a good bit more of. I'm betting that a good many of his corner exits in the BRZ were tail happy.

I generally suspect that the folks at EVO magazine are just not that good at driving front engine RWD's in a controlled, fast fashion; which is why they seem to think that FWD hot hatches are "better."
It's funny how hard people will defend this car, when there is clear evidence that it's not a monster. Just accept the fact that this car isn't a "god" car, and can be slow on the track, for once, please.
__________________
Instagram: @adamstastny
636 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 636 For This Useful Post:
enjoi23 (11-16-2013), Sitha@ft86club (11-16-2013), suaveflooder (11-25-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
solidONE
Senior Member
 
solidONE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Location: California
Posts: 2,378
Thanks: 1,467
Thanked 629 Times in 485 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0sl0w View Post
Until you realize that it's a 1.6 mile circuit.

I was however, surprised it that it wasn't closer to the Cayman S and would be interested to see how close it gets to a regular Cayman. I suspect the differences are still coming down to power and corner exit grip, both of which the Cayman S have a good bit more of. I'm betting that a good many of his corner exits in the BRZ were tail happy.

I generally suspect that the folks at EVO magazine are just not that good at driving front engine RWD's in a controlled, fast fashion; which is why they seem to think that FWD hot hatches are "better."
I'm not sure if you are watching the same video, but this guy drives the shit out of those cars, including the BRZ and Caterham... particularly the Caterham.
__________________
Intent > Content

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #7
Tgionet
SPACESHIP
 
Tgionet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: BRZ Ltd 6MT WRB
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 290
Thanks: 111
Thanked 221 Times in 109 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I'd like to point out that a Cayman S specced as in the video is around 100k. 2s slower for less than half the price and faster than the Mini for a few grand less still.

Last edited by Tgionet; 11-05-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Tgionet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tgionet For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-05-2013), enjoi23 (11-16-2013), kludger (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #8
andrew1021
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Location: CA
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0sl0w View Post
Until you realize that it's a 1.6 mile circuit.

I was however, surprised it that it wasn't closer to the Cayman S and would be interested to see how close it gets to a regular Cayman. I suspect the differences are still coming down to power and corner exit grip, both of which the Cayman S have a good bit more of. I'm betting that a good many of his corner exits in the BRZ were tail happy.

I generally suspect that the folks at EVO magazine are just not that good at driving front engine RWD's in a controlled, fast fashion; which is why they seem to think that FWD hot hatches are "better."
I agree totally that the brz was way underpowered vs the cayman, giving up 35-40 horses, but the guy was driving all the cars hard.
andrew1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: '13 BRZ pretend racecar
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 487
Thanks: 173
Thanked 271 Times in 135 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 636 View Post
It's funny how hard people will defend this car, when there is clear evidence that it's not a monster. Just accept the fact that this car isn't a "god" car, and can be slow on the track, for once, please.
I'm extremely happy with the car. What I'm saying is the power to weight ration that that kit is said to provide should have made the car much closer to the Cayman than it was, the fact that it wasn't puzzles me somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
I'm not sure if you are watching the same video, but this guy drives the shit out of those cars, including the BRZ and Caterham... particularly the Caterham.
Yeah, and I saw the driver hang the tail out on almost every corner, especially the sweepers where a bunch of speed/time could be lost by doing so. I'd like to see the car put in the hands of someone who knows how to put down a tidy lap. The Cayman naturally will tend to be less tail happy thanks to it's weight distribution and wider rubber so any tail out tendencies will be reduced, ergo faster lap times.

Driving hard and driving fast are not the same thing, in fact they are often the opposite.
s0sl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
636
Senior Member
 
636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: Currently rebuilding.
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,645
Thanks: 1,221
Thanked 1,084 Times in 511 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0sl0w View Post
I'm extremely happy with the car. What I'm saying is the power to weight ration that that kit is said to provide should have made the car much closer to the Cayman than it was, the fact that it wasn't puzzles me somewhat.



Yeah, and I saw the driver hang the tail out on almost every corner, especially the sweepers where a bunch of speed/time could be lost by doing so. I'd like to see the car put in the hands of someone who knows how to put down a tidy lap. The Cayman naturally will tend to be less tail happy thanks to it's weight distribution and wider rubber so any tail out tendencies will be reduced, ergo faster lap times.

Driving hard and driving fast are not the same thing, in fact they are often the opposite.
The videos of him getting tail happy were NOT the lap times that they recorded. If you listen in the video he states, "Once we started getting precise with the cars, and placing real times..." etc etc. He's drifting for show, non of that is in the laps.
__________________
Instagram: @adamstastny
636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
chrisl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,116
Thanks: 116
Thanked 455 Times in 303 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgionet View Post
I'd like to point out that a Cayman S specced as in the video is around 100k. 2s slower for less than half the price and faster than the Mini for a few grand less still.
Where are you getting that? It looks like it just has the 20" Carrera S wheels, the PCCBs, and a manual transmission, along with PTV and the PASM suspension. Even if you throw on the sport exhaust and the sport chrono pack (both of which I think you would want on a new Cayman S), the sport seats plus, and a leather interior, you're still 15 grand short of your $100k number, and if all you care about is performance, a lot of those options are unnecessary (actually, for pure performance, I'd probably go with the 19" wheels, PDK, and sport suspension instead). Yes, the Cayman is pricier (by far) than a BRZ, but $100k seems like a bit of an exaggeration unless you get one absolutely loaded with a lot of unnecessary options.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #12
Tgionet
SPACESHIP
 
Tgionet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: BRZ Ltd 6MT WRB
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 290
Thanks: 111
Thanked 221 Times in 109 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
Where are you getting that? It looks like it just has the 20" Carrera S wheels, the PCCBs, and a manual transmission, along with PTV and the PASM suspension. Even if you throw on the sport exhaust and the sport chrono pack (both of which I think you would want on a new Cayman S), the sport seats plus, and a leather interior, you're still 15 grand short of your $100k number, and if all you care about is performance, a lot of those options are unnecessary (actually, for pure performance, I'd probably go with the 19" wheels, PDK, and sport suspension instead). Yes, the Cayman is pricier (by far) than a BRZ, but $100k seems like a bit of an exaggeration unless you get one absolutely loaded with a lot of unnecessary options.
I rounded up and included local sales tax (6.35%). You CAN easily break 100k if you get into the really stupid options though.

Edit: and I figured anyone springing the 7600(iirc) for the PCCB would probably be speccing most of the non idiotic options as well.
Tgionet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #13
chrisl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,116
Thanks: 116
Thanked 455 Times in 303 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgionet View Post
I rounded up and included local sales tax (6.35%). You CAN easily break 100k if you get into the really stupid options though.

Edit: and I figured anyone springing the 7600(iirc) for the PCCB would probably be speccing most of the non idiotic options as well.
Oh, you can absolutely break 100k. If you want it as an amazing driver's car though, you wouldn't want to. A lot of the options add weight, sometimes a significant amount. If I were ordering a new one, I'd probably go for the sport seats plus w/leather ($3k), the sport suspension ($1300), sport exhaust ($1500), PTV ($2kish), Sport Chrono ($1500), and probably not a whole lot else (so the total would be a bit over $70k MSRP, before tax/fees/etc). Actually, it'd probably be a lot like the configuration above, minus the 20 inch wheels and PCCBs.

(These prices are based on my memory, since the configurator on Porsche's site isn't working for me right now, but they should be at least roughly correct).
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
Tgionet
SPACESHIP
 
Tgionet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: BRZ Ltd 6MT WRB
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 290
Thanks: 111
Thanked 221 Times in 109 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
That's pretty much what I'd spec, I'd get PASM instead of the sport suspension though.
Tgionet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tgionet For This Useful Post:
DelayedBRZ (11-16-2013)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MVP Track Time 2013 Great Lakes/Midwest Track Dates Feffman Great Lakes 5 09-07-2013 01:39 PM
First Track day of this year *Pissing rain* AJ PwR Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 12 04-19-2013 02:13 PM
FR-S/BRZ Named Finalist for 2013 World Car of Year and 2013 Best Performance Car Hachiroku Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 11 02-08-2013 04:34 PM
2013 SA Car of Year finalists CoBrA788 AFRICA 13 01-13-2013 03:13 AM
Motortrend - 2013 Car of the Year RaceR Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 6 11-10-2012 04:59 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.