follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2016, 10:36 PM   #183
olsonpg

Drives: BRZ. R34 GT-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksiv View Post
Your offset is off

My setup:

Front: 18x9.5 +3
Rear: 18x11 -6

On Forgestar F14's
Theres not right or wrong here. Just got to finagle what you have. I think the first mistake was getting a 255/40 for the front. A 245/35 would fit with no problems (pretty sure on this). You might try a 20mm or even a 15 mm spacer if your poking quite a bit. That would bring the turning radius in a bit with less chance to bump. But a bit of trimming is probably required but shouldn't be too hard.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:52 AM   #184
quiksiv

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsonpg View Post
Theres not right or wrong here. Just got to finagle what you have. I think the first mistake was getting a 255/40 for the front. A 245/35 would fit with no problems (pretty sure on this). You might try a 20mm or even a 15 mm spacer if your poking quite a bit. That would bring the turning radius in a bit with less chance to bump. But a bit of trimming is probably required but shouldn't be too hard.
Spacer are unsafe, save up and buy wheels that fit the car.
quiksiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:04 AM   #185
sdwagonjp

Drives: 2015 Fr-s Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Spacer are unsafe, save up and buy wheels that fit the car.
How are they unsafe? I've used spacers on all my cars/trucks except my fr-s because I just bought wheels with the offset I wanted. I never had any problems. My dad has a f350 on 38 inch tires with spacers. No problems even while towing.
sdwagonjp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdwagonjp For This Useful Post:
niceguy21 (03-27-2016), olsonpg (02-20-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 04:16 AM   #186
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
sdwagonjp: there are places, where you are not let on track with spacers (IIRC @Australia), and while there are cases with no problems seen (like your experience too) there have been few cases when there were problems. I won't side with any camps, just that if one has choice of getting right offset since beginning by choosing right wheels initially, why not to? Imho in most cases spacers are used when one already has some wheels on hands and wants to modify offset from then on, or when some specific wheel simply cannot be ordered at wished offset.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
quiksiv (02-21-2016), sdwagonjp (02-20-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 11:35 AM   #187
sdwagonjp

Drives: 2015 Fr-s Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
nah man i want super aggressive i want rim poking out of the fender
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
sdwagonjp: there are places, where you are not let on track with spacers (IIRC @Australia), and while there are cases with no problems seen (like your experience too) there have been few cases when there were problems. I won't side with any camps, just that if one has choice of getting right offset since beginning by choosing right wheels initially, why not to? Imho in most cases spacers are used when one already has some wheels on hands and wants to modify offset from then on, or when some specific wheel simply cannot be ordered at wished offset.
I don't think the question was concerning racing. It was concerning how wide he could go and be safe about it.
sdwagonjp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sdwagonjp For This Useful Post:
olsonpg (02-20-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #188
olsonpg

Also many wheels just dont have enough concavity/offset. If your dead set on not running any spacers at all.. Even a conversion spacer from 5x100 to 5x114, what wheels are even left? Your SEVERELY limited on options.

Sure the f14 forgestars are one of the few options you are left with but who wants to do the cookie cutter build?

Even the man who created the RB kit runs Enkei rs05rr 10.5 +15's with 25 mm spacers (and tracks his car).
sdwagonjp (02-20-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 06:16 PM   #189
thien

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
I met a guy at powered by max running a gang of spacers. He drifts his car professionally and has no problems. Keep in mind he has an Ls3 v8 engine swap haha.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
thien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thien For This Useful Post:
olsonpg (02-20-2016), sdwagonjp (02-20-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 04:02 AM   #190
quiksiv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwagonjp View Post
I don't think the question was concerning racing. It was concerning how wide he could go and be safe about it.
I get where your coming from wagon, not saying your wrong. Just dont like the idea of putting stress on axle bolts. Plus i've heard horror stories of people going on off ramp turns, on freeways and entire bolts breaking or coming loose, while the car slides off the embankment. Just an all around sistuation to avoid if you can. My car is also a daily driver that i take on canyons and occasional track days.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:04 AM   #191
quiksiv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thien View Post
I met a guy at powered by max running a gang of spacers. He drifts his car professionally and has no problems. Keep in mind he has an Ls3 v8 engine swap haha.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
I think you made that up...i have never heard of a pro sponsored drift car running spacers....
Old 02-21-2016, 04:05 AM   #192
quiksiv

Garage
Quote:
I agree with this.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:42 AM   #193
olsonpg

Quote:
I think you made that up...i have never heard of a pro sponsored drift car running spacers....
Many sponsored drift cars run spacers.. Come on bro.. You obviously have a phobia for spacers and that's fine.. but don't say people are making things up because you don't agree with them.
thien (02-24-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 04:55 AM   #194
olsonpg

This is whats on the above pic.

^look at the size of those bad boys.
sdwagonjp (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 05:53 AM   #195
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sponsored cars? For race teams? One should understand that suspension aswell for those cars gets Very often checked / maintenanced / overhauled though vs something daily driven and owned by private person. +They have much larger budget for when/if things go wrong. So i wouldn't use that as example for spacer safety.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:42 AM   #196
olsonpg

Quote:
Sponsored cars? For race teams? One should understand that suspension aswell for those cars gets Very often checked / maintenanced / overhauled though vs something daily driven and owned by private person. +They have much larger budget for when/if things go wrong. So i wouldn't use that as example for spacer safety.

Your saying that even though Formula D professional racing teams that put safety first and foremost are beating on these spacers at the track we shouldn't trust them to take us to the grocery ?

I think thats a good point on the regular inspection of the car but somehow I don't think they go through spacers like skittles.
sqd (02-25-2016), thien (02-24-2016)