follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #4607
spitz

Drives: '13 SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFRS View Post
Sounds good.... Now just have to find these magical bits and magical bolts. Is this a known issue? Id imagine they went cheap and just re-used all my old bolts when swapping out the blower.
You can purchase a set of reverse drill bits at Sears or Home Depot, or probably any other crafts man store. They are very easy to use, and provide all instructions. It's magical, like you said.

My take is the installer probably over tightened to cause the head to break. I don't have an Innovative charger, but it doesn't seem like many people have experienced your issue, given the responses here.

spitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #4608
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
don't drill it - completely unnecessary. Do like Dustin stated, loosen the other bolts and it should be able to wiggle out and be removed with a pick/magnet.

You won't be able to get a drill back there anyway so you would have to take the supercharger out - so even then just unbolt the back elbow and simply unscrew that thing out. Unless that bolt is cross threaded theres no way it should not come out easy.

Innovate sent me a huge bag of bolts when I bought my intercooler kit. I wonder if they want you replacing them in the event of having to remove the originals.

Edit: Nick just saw that you had a shop replace your blower. I can bet you they didn't torque those down with a torque wrench lol. Either way they seem to break easy. Call Innovate and tell them you had a bolt break, they should send you new ones. If not hit me up and i'll send you a few.

Everyone says their customer service sucks but every time I've called they have been super helpful and sent me out whatever I needed.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xxscaxx For This Useful Post:
NickFRS (05-24-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #4609
ntaphse

Drives: beater
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
This has been covered before but it's now buried in the thread. There was a batch of bad bolts and Innovate will send you a full set of replacements for free. Where's the bad customer service again? Never experienced or heard of it.
ntaphse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #4610
xxscaxx

People tend to remember the bad and forget the good. Its also because they are not active on the forum.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #4611
mikalem

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Started in on the stg1 to stg2 install and I've realized two things - I got a set of brittle bolts, it seems no hardware store in town carries replacements in bulk, and I need a catch can like yesterday - the inside of the manifold was covered in oil.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
mikalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #4612
Pekingduck

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
What are people boosting with 69mm pulley? I am seeing 15 psi on my gauge and I wondering if it normal
Old 05-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #4613
xxscaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikalem View Post
Started in on the stg1 to stg2 install and I've realized two things - I got a set of brittle bolts, it seems no hardware store in town carries replacements in bulk, and I need a catch can like yesterday - the inside of the manifold was covered in oil.

Did they not send new bolts with the stage 2 upgrade? They should have.

Funny you mention that, mine was also coated in oil, same thing with the line off the back of the charger. So I went out and bought a radium catch can. I've had it on for well over a month and I have yet to record a drop of oil in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekingduck View Post
What are people boosting with 69mm pulley? I am seeing 15 psi on my gauge and I wondering if it normal
70mm pulley is 11.5psi, according to raceseng. they quote the 72.5mm pulley being 10.5psi.

So going by those numbers, the 69mm should only be a little under a half psi increase...so you should only be seeing ~12psi. It will depend though on elevation as well.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #4614
mikalem

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
Did they not send new bolts with the stage 2 upgrade? They should have.

Funny you mention that, mine was also coated in oil, same thing with the line off the back of the charger. So I went out and bought a radium catch can. I've had it on for well over a month and I have yet to record a drop of oil in it.
No set of hardware in the upgrade kit - which line did you put the catch can in place with? Thinking that's going to be next but I'm a little confused of the three ports from the engine (crank breather, evap selonoid, engine breather on the intake tube) the can should run between.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #4615
xxscaxx

Quote:
No set of hardware in the upgrade kit - which line did you put the catch can in place with? Thinking that's going to be next but I'm a little confused of the three ports from the engine (crank breather, evap selonoid, engine breather on the intake tube) the can should run between.

They sent me a big bag of them...i'd call Innovate. They should send you some without any issue. None of my bolts broke when putting them in/out, two broke after the fact like a week later.

Where people are catching the oil (judging by this thread) on our kit is on the crankcase side, which is the middle port on the back of the charger. for my Radium can I have the top port going into the stock crankcase line (that was originally plugged into the middle port of the sc) and the bottom port going directly to the back of the crankcase port on the supercharger (middle port).

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=3258
The Following User Says Thank You to xxscaxx For This Useful Post:
mikalem (05-23-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 12:57 PM   #4616
mikalem

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
They sent me a big bag of them...i'd call Innovate. They should send you some without any issue. None of my bolts broke when putting them in/out, two broke after the fact like a week later.

Where people are catching the oil (judging by this thread) on our kit is on the crankcase side, which is the middle port on the back of the charger. for my Radium can I have the top port going into the stock crankcase line (that was originally plugged into the middle port of the sc) and the bottom port going directly to the back of the crankcase port on the supercharger (middle port).

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=3258
I ended up sourcing them locally - I would like the car back up and running soon so buying a replacement set isn't a huge problem. I didn't have any on the plate snap on the way out - one head sheared off of the back when taking that off, similar to a few posts ago. I'm just being proactive to replace them all - I fear the heat cycle made them brittle over the last few months.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #4617
xxscaxx

Quote:
I ended up sourcing them locally - I would like the car back up and running soon so buying a replacement set isn't a huge problem. I didn't have any on the plate snap on the way out - one head sheared off of the back when taking that off, similar to a few posts ago. I'm just being proactive to replace them all - I fear the heat cycle made them brittle over the last few months.

Ah gotcha - just saying if you needed replacements they should take care of you.

But I think you are exactly right. Heat cycle is probably screwing with them. I want to replace mine as well at some point but thats just to be fancy and get nicer bolts lol
Old 05-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #4618
Michael Blue

Drives: 1998 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 30v
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Excuse me for posting in this thread, I don't have the BRZ or this kit yet.
But, I do have a question; What front upper Strut-tower bars and engine-bay cross-braces fit with Innovate Stage 2 Intercooled Supercharger kit?

Planning out my build and I like to plan everything out as much as possible...

Thank you!!

~M
Michael Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #4619
mikalem

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Blue View Post
Excuse me for posting in this thread, I don't have the BRZ or this kit yet.
But, I do have a question; What front upper Strut-tower bars and engine-bay cross-braces fit with Innovate Stage 2 Intercooled Supercharger kit?

Planning out my build and I like to plan everything out as much as possible...

Thank you!!

~M
Do a search for strut bar in this thread and you'll find the posts discussing them - there were a couple if memory serves

Old 05-23-2014, 05:47 PM   #4620
Michael Blue

Drives: 1998 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 30v
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Do a search for strut bar in this thread and you'll find the posts discussing them - there were a couple if memory serves

Tried, no luck.
Thanks!
Michael Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.