follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2013, 01:35 AM   #15
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-SRM View Post
I love my A/T I had the same mindset as you until I had the opportunity to drive one. I thank myself every time I commute in rush hour.
even though it's a conventional torque lock up convertor,it's been electronically programmed to emulate a "tiptronic" german design. i don't care 2 sh**s about the "half-as*ed" paddle shifters,as they contribute nothing for me.been a "stick" jockey for over 40 years,and just despised the "slush" in any form,until today!
love the fact,that (heaven forbid) i should just want to throw it into "drive" i can,and the car will return economy car fuel ratings,or play with the stick simulating a manual (most of the time,if not all) japanese did a outrageous job with the programming,and it is really f**king quick,AND smooth too! a very pleasant experience!..just sayin'
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:36 AM   #16
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-SRM View Post
I love my A/T I had the same mindset as you until I had the opportunity to drive one. I thank myself every time I commute in rush hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Agreed. You should have popped it in sport mode. Really transforms the auto.
yeah! but didn't even think of it! had a barrel of fun just drivin' it period!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:44 AM   #17
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmHamSandwich View Post
Now now folks, I think OP is getting let off a little too easy what with all these 'thanks' being administered. Here's an example, just a little sample, how I could just grill a man.

Really now? This was posted back on September 1st. Yet in this thread you make it seem like you just waltzed in and test drove one randomly and now you love it.

But it hardly ends there folks.

I am sure there's more but these are just some threads I happened to remember reading this ridiculous shit in.
At any rate, quite a change of opinion from...

and a mere 20 days later to...

And let's not forget...

Better get practicing old man!
what can i say? caught me red handed! i'm man enough to admit i was wrong! as far as "jerkin' off",i have someone do that for me,so not a concern!
besides,at my age,i'm just happy i can still get it up,WITHOUT pills! ehe! he! he! (lol) gotta be honest,you come off sounding like one vindictive (s.o.b.)
i think you was a "disgruntled" car sales manager in a previous life! hmmmm!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmaryt For This Useful Post:
BRZranger (01-17-2013), chanomatik (01-18-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 03:29 AM   #18
arleewa

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
wtf did i just read...
arleewa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arleewa For This Useful Post:
a.beck (01-18-2013), chanomatik (01-18-2013), ML (01-18-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #19
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
walked into a 'subie" dealer today,and just for s**ts and giggles took a slush box limited out for a drive with the primacy michilin's on. all i got to say,is wow! i take everything back i said about the slush! what an enjoyable experience! plenty of ''grunt" damn thing is QUICK!.played with the stick,in manual mode,and had a ball! had all nannies on,came around a corner at a safe speed off the highway,and the a*s end started to break loose,and got a little squirrely for a moment,until the nannies kicked in,and straightened the car right out! believe me,this tranny is a blast to drive! ,and gets better fuel mileage too! i'll never say a bad word again about this tranny again! also found out,the tranny fluid only needs changing every 60,000 miles as opposed to the manual fluid at 30,000.
That means a lot coming from you as I was going back and forth with you about it in another thread. I was just driving a go-kart the other day at Andretti racing and I realized that even a go-kart is fun without needing a clutch. The grip from the tires and the planted low feel paired with the tight steering made me enjoy the experience like no other. I hope the BRZ automatic feels like what I experienced but of course in a bigger vehicle.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #20
SweetSandMan

Drives: 2012 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
what can i say? caught me red handed! i'm man enough to admit i was wrong! as far as "jerkin' off",i have someone do that for me,so not a concern!
besides,at my age,i'm just happy i can still get it up,WITHOUT pills! ehe! he! he! (lol) gotta be honest,you come off sounding like one vindictive (s.o.b.)
62 eh? Your mannerisms are that of a 14 year old. I can't imagine my grandfather openly saying that he has someone available to jerk him off. I mean I'm sure he and my grandmother have their fun times...but seriously.

I Tapped that
SweetSandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SweetSandMan For This Useful Post:
a.beck (01-18-2013), chanomatik (01-18-2013), MmmHamSandwich (01-17-2013), russv (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #21
Dorb

Drives: 16 LM STI/13 LM BRZ/04 AVALANCHE
In life we have choices. This is a good thing. I like to shift, I have 3 other cars that are auto. I needed the change, I had to have the change. lol
Dorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #22
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
At least OP has admitted he is willing to try new things and likes the AT. Either way, I think alot of the pepole that bad mouth the AT have never driven the AT on this particular model vehicle (some have, I know). On most cars, I hate AT just like the next guy. But the BRZ/FRS AT is pretty great for a slush box, agreed OP.
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #23
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
I like the auto better than my 2011 GTI DSG "auto". That's saying a lot.
Interesting you say that. Do you like the low-speed driveability better with the torque-converter?

My GTI has the dual-clutch auto setup and I think it's great. I've only driven one auto FR-S and I wasn't blown away by it, so curious to hear your thoughts.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #24
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSandMan View Post
62 eh? Your mannerisms are that of a 14 year old. I can't imagine my grandfather openly saying that he has someone available to jerk him off. I mean I'm sure he and my grandmother have their fun times...but seriously.

I Tapped that
^^^Well said^^^

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to russv For This Useful Post:
MmmHamSandwich (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #25
bdbx18

Drives: Present MDX, Civic Hybrid, BRZ
A MT is not even remotely on my radar for this car, not with my commute and my love for leisurely driving. So here's the bottom line with the differences between AT and MT.

(a) Do they have the same no of gears ? - yes.
(b) Can I hold any gear through the corners ? - yes on both.
(c) Can one launch better ? - MT has an edge but 1st gear is very short on both.
(d) Can one reach 60 faster ? - MT definitely is faster but still requires 3rd gear.
(e) Can I do something else with one hand while in traffic ? - MT (if you not changing gears), AT (definitely, slap it in D)
(f) Does one require more maintenance and $ ? MT (clutch plate replacements, more frequent tranny fluid replacements) AT (tranny fluid replacements are twice longer, others?)
(g) Can I let someone else drive it without worrying about anything ? - MT (you may smell clutch burn), AT (sure)

That said, the only thing I dislike with the AT is the auto down-shift on slowing down. If I slowed down enough for it to auto down-shift to 2nd, if I didn't see that or am not looking and I down-shift manually, I would then be in the very short 1st gear. Which of course, may be way too low for my speed.
bdbx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bdbx18 For This Useful Post:
russv (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #26
MmmHamSandwich
You know you want it.

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Nice edit there. Think I wouldn't notice?

Vindictive SOB, that's pretty much a dead ringer for me, and being one has served me quite well over the years.

As far as being a disgruntled car sales manager, not much evidence for that now is there? Judging by your inability to write a coherent sentence I'd say there's plenty of evidence for you either being a troll at best and a victim of moderate brain damage at worst. That's not an insult btw, I don't make fun of disabled people. Just my observation.

PS: There is a difference between admitting you were wrong versus lying, hoping you wouldn't get caught, getting caught, and then trying to play it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russv View Post
If you would have spent a reasonable amount of time with the auto you would quickly realize there is no "slush" about it. Very positive and fast shifting.
Quote:
in addendum: i really don't care because i think they all suck! period!
and yes! i drove a 'slush" boring ass drive really!
Admit it, you never test drove the car and yet you persisted in giving people crap for months. They told you to at least try it. You could have refused, but no, even worse you said you already had tested it and it still sucked. Then when you finally took their advice and tried it whadya know you loved it. Personally I think you owe an apology for your behavior, especially to guys like Russv who honestly tried to help broaden your horizons, but that's probably asking too much from you.

I honestly hope you are a troll, I can't imagine anyone being satisfied with lack of communication/thinking skills and what little value they provide to their own communities.

Signed, The Vindictive S.O.B.

The Following User _________ Stay_Puft(09-13-2014)
Says Thank You to
MmmHamSandwich For
This Useful Post:

MmmHamSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MmmHamSandwich For This Useful Post:
Achpoques (01-17-2013), chanomatik (01-18-2013), russv (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #27
MmmHamSandwich
You know you want it.

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbx18 View Post
That said, the only thing I dislike with the AT is the auto down-shift on slowing down. If I slowed down enough for it to auto down-shift to 2nd, if I didn't see that or am not looking and I down-shift manually, I would then be in the very short 1st gear. Which of course, may be way too low for my speed.
Not sure why this would be a disadvantage as this behavior is somewhat toggleable. This is not an issue if you pay attention to your revs in manual mode or when in auto assuming you are not in sport mode. The car is actually pretty good about holding gears for you, and will hold them quite low even if you forget. It will however, downshift if you approach the point you are lugging your engine. Basically the car will hold out as long as it can for you, but at some point if you neglect monitoring the rpm's it is gotta do what it's gotta due to keep the rpm's within a safe range.

Still, the situation you described is unlikely to be much of a concern. In order for it to downshift by itself into 2nd, you would have to be on the verge of lugging 3rd. For that you would have to be driving very slow indeed.

Also downshifting into 1st on this car is largely drama free. In fact it will be glad to downshift within 500 rpm's of redline. There is a weight shift with all that added engine braking, though even if it caught you off guard it shouldn't be an problem on all but the slipperiest surfaces.

On sport mode it is true the car is more anxious to select the next lowest gear, but that's just the name of the game. If it is a concern drive in manual all the time (my preference) or just keep it in normal auto. Though the third option is you could leave the car in "snow" where it will never downshift into 1st.

EDIT: I just went out and tried this, it seems in Manual, Auto, and Sport Auto when driving casually the car downshifts from third into second at 15mph. At this speed it places first gear around 3000 rpm. No biggie. If you are driving agressively especially in sport it will probably downshift more promptly, but in that case you're better off letting the car do its thing as it will likely downshift to 1st all on its own at the earliest convenience.

The Following User _________ Stay_Puft(09-13-2014)
Says Thank You to
MmmHamSandwich For
This Useful Post:

Last edited by MmmHamSandwich; 01-17-2013 at 08:51 PM.
MmmHamSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MmmHamSandwich For This Useful Post:
Achpoques (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #28
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
That means a lot coming from you as I was going back and forth with you about it in another thread. I was just driving a go-kart the other day at Andretti racing and I realized that even a go-kart is fun without needing a clutch. The grip from the tires and the planted low feel paired with the tight steering made me enjoy the experience like no other. I hope the BRZ automatic feels like what I experienced but of course in a bigger vehicle.
yeah! i was dead wrong! my previous rant was because i have driven stick all my life,because autos generally don't do nothin' for me,and i loved shifting.
when i drove that "slush box " in the frs,i was really knocked off my feet with how much fun it really is! it's a very efficient tranny too! i admit i was wrong,i spoke prematurely,and i got roasted for it! you will like it in the brz! i did ,and that's saying something, coming from a die-hard "stick" driver.