follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #71
Shit Luck

Drives: red frs
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i think people are misunderstanding what this product is...

its not a tuning software, its a tool that allows us to edit maps using and existing software I.E.n tunerpro or other sources...

i am sure this will be able to so all the tricks that ecutek is doing since programs like brzedit are able to do this too. ecutek is doing nothing special that any other tuner cant, they just decoded the ecu first.
Shit Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #72
Sing4LTS

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
sweet! it just keeps getting better!
Sing4LTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #73
StormTrooper

Drives: Pavement MT GR86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Last time I checked it would be over $1k to dyno tune a car using ecutek.

850 for licencing and tune and cable plus dyno time.

A OTS stg1 tune for octane and elevation with a couple revisions should be $ 1-200.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #74
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I don't want to be a [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjwofYhUJEM]party pooper[/ame] but why not write software we could run on a laptop? It would be cheaper, your markup could be higher and it would eliminate the safe file->copy to flasher step. I mean, sure, there are the few people that don't have laptops, but ... you know. That's what I would have done.

Totally not complaining though. This is great. Can't wait to buy one.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #75
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
I don't want to be a
but why not write software we could run on a laptop? It would be cheaper, your markup could be higher and it would eliminate the safe file->copy to flasher step. I mean, sure, there are the few people that don't have laptops, but ... you know. That's what I would have done.

because you can't use a laptop as a gauge display (reasonably)?
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #76
qoncept

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
because you can't use a laptop as a gauge display (reasonably)?
What would be wonderful, then, is an interface to a laptop that you could use to make this thing start reading/flashing without actually touching it.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #77
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't want to be a
but why not write software we could run on a laptop? It would be cheaper, your markup could be higher and it would eliminate the safe file->copy to flasher step. I mean, sure, there are the few people that don't have laptops, but ... you know. That's what I would have done.

most people don't want to lug the laptop around with them in their cars. something like this makes it simple to plug in and swap maps at the gas station, at the race track, wherever. Also, if you want to do any datalogging while on track, you'd have to come up with a pretty custom mount for your laptop if you want to get it through tech inspection and on grid. With this, datalogging on track is simple. (once the datalogging feature is finished)
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
Shit Luck (07-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #78
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
What would be wonderful, then, is an interface to a laptop that you could use to make this thing start reading/flashing without actually touching it.
@Dezoris Get er done! Incorporate to your head unit replacement.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #79
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
Technically I guess that could be done now. I ****ed around with an adhoc connection to the datalogging pc in the car from the tablet I can just control the laptop from the tablet. Start and stop logging etc.

Its certainly not as simple as this openflash idea. Maybe when I get the mechanical stuff finished it would be fun to play with.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #80
jamesm
Banned

I can't understand how having a laptop hooked up would make it start or stop logging without touching anything. Or do anything else useful for that matter. The whole point is that it doesn't require a laptop to flash and change maps, display gauges, etc. if you want to do all that on a laptop you'd just use brzedit, no?
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
Shit Luck (07-15-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #81
qoncept

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
I think what I'm talking about is more simple than you're thinking.. But it would take hardware support, documented or otherwise. Just a usb port or whatever that you could plug your laptop in to, then send a command that says "hey thing, read ecu and give me the file" or "hey thing, here's this file, flash it." Basically the same thing that's going on with the openport except this tablet is doing all the heavy lifting.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #82
jamesm
Banned

Quote:
I think what I'm talking about is more simple than you're thinking.. But it would take hardware support, documented or otherwise. Just a usb port or whatever that you could plug your laptop in to, then send a command that says "hey thing, read ecu and give me the file" or "hey thing, here's this file, flash it." Basically the same thing that's going on with the openport except this tablet is doing all the heavy lifting.
i guess my only question there would be why? that doesn't seem to simplify anything. and brzedit already does that.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #83
qoncept

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
i guess my only question there would be why? that doesn't seem to simplify anything. and brzedit already does that.
Because the alternative when you're tuning is log, unplug tablet and plug in to pc, copy logs and rom to pc, analyze and make changes on pc, save and copy rom back to tablet, unplug from pc and plug in to car and then finally flash.

If you have that interface, you can plug the tablet in to the car, plug he pc in to the tablet, then just make all your changes on the laptop and the tablet becomes totally transparent. Yes, brzedit does that, but it costs more ($500+200 for the cable, or $1500 for the unlimited license that you essentailly have here) and you don't have an option to change maps without a laptop in the car.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #84
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toma View Post
That has not been confirmed as the problem. In fact, I highly doubt that it is. Pinging on "transient throttle", would not pose the same peak cylinder pressure as the motor would see at peak torque typically.Plus the table is not populated at low rpm and high load anyway, so it's not just the higher rpm regions.

And if a few degrees of timing over advance is the root cause, then high octane fuel should easily have prevented this, and yet we have seen the failure on cars running 100 octane fuel.

And just cause a knock sensors/processor "thinks" it sees knock, doesn't always mean it is knock. Lots of noisy shit occurs on a shift.

More R&D needs to happen before we can say "problem solved".

But anyway, I'm sure they will find all the tables they need.

To other posters:
As for the customs crap that no one really needs.... lol. It's mostly sales gimmicks that come and go, They had auto blip... got rid of it. had AF display, got rid of it, had SD support, coudln't get it right. Flat foot shift? Really? What's wrong with your rev limiter if you shift that slow?

This product is exciting, lets hope it delivers, great option to add to the FRS line-up, and any decent BRZ/Subaru tuner will be happy to tune it for you real time on the dyno. Shops charge $100 to $150 an hour, so for the price of a mail order tune, you are WELL on your way to a dyno tune.
I am aware of one failure case where the car happened to be running 100 octane the day of the failure but I believe saw a load of track time previous to that day running pump gas. Damage may have already been done. I don't know of any failures to motors consistently running high octane for track duty but there very well may be some. For me, 100 octane will be a cheap form of track insurance that may or may not keep the problem at bay.
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#lolwut, divinecomedy, dopeandcashcabinet, free shiv now, goddamitimissedit, golden cage, i missed the show, looks good, missed the fun, omgbbq, shiv 2016, thefatandthefurriest