follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 09-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
DarthNads

Drives: 2003 Mazda Protege 5 limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
In case financing doesn't go through, looking for a used car...

Hey All,

Just applied to get a 2013 with financing, my credit history isn't the best and I REALLY hope I get approved.

In case I don't, I'd be looking at getting a winter beater for $2000.

Just started a second job, essentially more than doubling my current salary so if things don't go well for me now, I could always get a 2014 in the spring.

Anyone selling their old car after a recent upgrade? Links/pics and prices greatly appreciated.

-DN.
DarthNads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
DarthNads

Going to meet with Ian at Don Valley North... anyone have experiences with him?

What are my chances on getting a price discount, seeing as how the 2014 models will have extra goodies?
Old 09-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Kazuya

Drives: Takumi
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
First things first, don't go to Don Valley, they're rip offs and no matter how many cars or new model is coming out, they won't give you nothing but overpriced packages. This is based off of personal experience and that's only about two months ago. I bought my frs for 32k including 750 discount and include my interest financing over 48/month whereas for the same car, Don Valley would cost me 35-36k including interest rates.

Second, I would recommend Randy Red**** from Brimell Toyota. He's a manager so you skip the sales rep bull crap and he's extremely easy to deal with.

As long as you have some sort of credit and a few grand as down payment, I think you will be fine.

Good luck.
Kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kazuya For This Useful Post:
DarthNads (09-20-2013), shu5892001 (10-04-2013)
Old 09-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuya View Post
First things first, don't go to Don Valley, they're rip offs and no matter how many cars or new model is coming out, they won't give you nothing but overpriced packages. This is based off of personal experience and that's only about two months ago. I bought my frs for 32k including 750 discount and include my interest financing over 48/month whereas for the same car, Don Valley would cost me 35-36k including interest rates.

Second, I would recommend Randy Red**** from Brimell Toyota. He's a manager so you skip the sales rep bull crap and he's extremely easy to deal with.

As long as you have some sort of credit and a few grand as down payment, I think you will be fine.

Good luck.
First post - I also dealt with Randy and am awaiting delivery of my FR-S. Also got 750 off, no back and forth required.
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewbot For This Useful Post:
DarthNads (09-20-2013)
Old 09-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
chenshuo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
if you need to get a second job to get a car, don't get a new car. that's how you keep on getting into debt.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
DarthNads

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenshuo View Post
if you need to get a second job to get a car, don't get a new car. that's how you keep on getting into debt.
Getting the 2nd car so I can get my arse to that 2nd job. Thanks tho!
Old 09-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
that_guy
Dances with Cones

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenshuo View Post
Well said.

No offense OP, but he speaks the truth. Buying a car is a poor use of your money. If you have credit problems now, spending outside your means will only increase the chances of you ruining it more.

And nothing wrong with DVN. Just because they try to sell you stuff doesn't mean you have to buy it. That's like getting mad at Walmart because they have things on sale. Dealers don't make money selling cars, they make money selling things FOR cars. So if they try to offer you something you don't want, say no. It's the job of the person behind the counter to offer it to you...in the end, that's how they get paid. You'd do the same if it meant putting food on the table at home too.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
aSaki

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I bought mine in downtown toyota. 31000 on the road. Pm me and I'll recommend you to the sales manager and see if he can help you out
aSaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
aSaki

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Don't go markville toyota. They wont give you anything for less than 31500 when I waa there. 500 is a lot of money towards your winter beater or your mods
aSaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
Kazuya

Drives: Takumi
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Well said.

No offense OP, but he speaks the truth. Buying a car is a poor use of your money. If you have credit problems now, spending outside your means will only increase the chances of you ruining it more.

And nothing wrong with DVN. Just because they try to sell you stuff doesn't mean you have to buy it. That's like getting mad at Walmart because they have things on sale. Dealers don't make money selling cars, they make money selling things FOR cars. So if they try to offer you something you don't want, say no. It's the job of the person behind the counter to offer it to you...in the end, that's how they get paid. You'd do the same if it meant putting food on the table at home too.
A quick google about Don Valley North Toyota from pervious customers is basically what I encountered during my two weeks there.

They are the prime example of everything that is wrong about dealerships.
Kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
that_guy
Dances with Cones

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuya View Post
A quick google about Don Valley North Toyota from pervious customers is basically what I encountered during my two weeks there.

They are the prime example of everything that is wrong about dealerships.
Well judging by this thread, I would assume that everyone is only deal hunting and not really concerned about service. No offense, but 2 weeks at a dealership is probably not a good indicator of their service levels, let alone all others.

Now am I defending the dealership? Nope. Never been there actually to buy anything. But I've always been pitched the "extra" stuff and always turned it down when at a dealer. If they persist, you just explain it's something your not interested in but you'll happily take a brochure to think about it.

But to each their own. Your responsible for shaping your own experience there, not the dealer. I've owned 4 Scions now from 2 different dealers and the experience for each has been great. I've serviced at 4 different dealers and never a problem.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
DarthNads

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm going to check out Brimell and Downtown.

Just by getting a single reply e-mail from DVN, I can already tell what kind of stealership they are.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #13
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
I had a terrible experience at DVN, the sales guy lied to me at least half a dozen times during the test drive, ranging from big lies like "we have parts in stock to get it to over 300hp and can deliver it like that with full warranty" to smaller ones like "our manual demo isn't going to be here for another month or two, but if you order one and don't like the manual we'll let you out of the deal free and clear" (their manual demo was in 3 days later). Add to that the sales guy trying everything in the book to get me to order one on the spot despite me telling him I wasn't signing for one until I drove a manual demo BEFORE even going for the test drive.

My wife has taken her Camry there for service a couple times and they have been great, including being very kind after she declined most of their services every time, AND being more honest than other local Toyota dealerships had been in the past. Magically after not changing the LCA bushings or the brakes, they were somehow better 4 years later than a previous dealership told her. I keep a close eye on the car anyway, but it was nice to hear them be honest about things.

I bought mine from Weitzes and had a really easy purchase experience, as well as any services to date. I've only taken it in for oil changes and a warranty tail light replacement, but they've been easy to deal with every time.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
DarthNads

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I had a terrible experience at DVN, the sales guy lied to me at least half a dozen times during the test drive, ranging from big lies like "we have parts in stock to get it to over 300hp and can deliver it like that with full warranty" to smaller ones like "our manual demo isn't going to be here for another month or two, but if you order one and don't like the manual we'll let you out of the deal free and clear" (their manual demo was in 3 days later). Add to that the sales guy trying everything in the book to get me to order one on the spot despite me telling him I wasn't signing for one until I drove a manual demo BEFORE even going for the test drive.

My wife has taken her Camry there for service a couple times and they have been great, including being very kind after she declined most of their services every time, AND being more honest than other local Toyota dealerships had been in the past. Magically after not changing the LCA bushings or the brakes, they were somehow better 4 years later than a previous dealership told her. I keep a close eye on the car anyway, but it was nice to hear them be honest about things.

I bought mine from Weitzes and had a really easy purchase experience, as well as any services to date. I've only taken it in for oil changes and a warranty tail light replacement, but they've been easy to deal with every time.
In my 2nd e-mail from the DVN sales guy, I was already getting lied to...

Google-ing Brimell didn't seem to be that much better, but from the forums and posts above they seem to be the place to try first.

Thanks again guys, biting the bullet tomorrow.