follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #253
ThisIsChrisKim
Hockey Playing Scientist

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT (WRB)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZfan View Post
I learned my lesson on the value of a dollar when I was a kid. My mother used to check pricing on the grocery receipt after she got home and found errors. Got her money back. She grew up during the 1930s (1929 Wall Street Crash) and fifty cents meant a lot more then, let alone $35 dollars. Many people buy cars too frequently and over a forty year period it could mean another $100,000 in one's pocket by saving just a relatively small amount per month. Good luck. Never, Never, tell a car salesperson how much money you can spend per month, not that you did, but that is how the dealer sells that "extra 10%".
If someone is losing $100k, something went really really wrong. $2000 is not a lot of money if it brings features that someone wants. Now if it's up to that person to decide if that $2000 difference brings enough value to pay for it. For some people it is (like myself), for others, there's not enough value in it.

Speaking for myself, I had enough money to pay for the car in cash, but with local financing offers that are in the 1.5% range, it makes more sense to leave that cash in the stock market where it'll return far more than 1.5%. Also, everyone has a level of comfort with which they are okay spending large sums of money, so there's no real thing as buying too many cars. It's simply a question of if it makes sense for that person. If someone has the income to support buying a car every 4 years, who are we to judge? It's his/her choice and it doesn't affect my or your life.
ThisIsChrisKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #254
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
For me it was just simply a matter of making sure I got cloth seats. Not getting the Limited just happened to be a $1200 windfall savings for me. (plus the MSRP discount on the vehicle)

Either way, a car is a depreciating asset and its value will invariably be much much less in just one year let alone five years.
Right and splitting hairs over $1200-3000 is ridiculous in this thread. You either want the features and are willing to pay for them, or you don't. Bringing up "depreciating assets" and what not when discussing cars that are typically within $1-3K of each other is ridiculous. If you can barely afford to be making payments on a Premium model, you probably should not have bought it in the first place if another $1200 puts you in the poor house.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
Kwisak (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #255
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsChrisKim View Post
If someone is losing $100k, something went really really wrong. $2000 is not a lot of money if it brings features that someone wants. Now if it's up to that person to decide if that $2000 difference brings enough value to pay for it. For some people it is (like myself), for others, there's not enough value in it.

Speaking for myself, I had enough money to pay for the car in cash, but with local financing offers that are in the 1.5% range, it makes more sense to leave that cash in the stock market where it'll return far more than 1.5%. Also, everyone has a level of comfort with which they are okay spending large sums of money, so there's no real thing as buying too many cars. It's simply a question of if it makes sense for that person. If someone has the income to support buying a car every 4 years, who are we to judge? It's his/her choice and it doesn't affect my or your life.
Interest rates are 0-3% or so on most cars right now. You would have to be a moron to lose $100K by getting into a higher level trim model in a car.

We seemed to have gone off the deep end in this thread...
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #256
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Like I said, I would've bought whichever model that had the cloth seats. Had nothing to do with financing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Right and splitting hairs over $1200-3000 is ridiculous in this thread. You either want the features and are willing to pay for them, or you don't. Bringing up "depreciating assets" and what not when discussing cars that are typically within $1-3K of each other is ridiculous. If you can barely afford to be making payments on a Premium model, you probably should not have bought it in the first place if another $1200 puts you in the poor house.
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #257
SliverBrz

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Like I said, I would've bought whichever model that had the cloth seats. Had nothing to do with financing.
but we do recall you posting this when i mentioned it was close to nothing to finance the difference.

I learned my lesson on the value of a dollar when I was a kid. My mother used to check pricing on the grocery receipt after she got home and found errors. Got her money back. She grew up during the 1930s (1929 Wall Street Crash) and fifty cents meant a lot more then, let alone $35 dollars. Many people buy cars too frequently and over a forty year period it could mean another $100,000 in one's pocket by saving just a relatively small amount per month. Good luck. Never, Never, tell a car salesperson how much money you can spend per month, not that you did, but that is how the dealer sells that "extra 10%".
SliverBrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #258
BRZfan

My latest comment was a response to the comment I highlighted in that particular post (#275). It described the decision I made to determine which car I would buy whether it be an extra cost or not. (cloth Premium or cloth Limited)

My following quote and much of the previous comment was for the benefit of other members of the forum For instance, the time value of money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliverBrz View Post
but we do recall you posting this when i mentioned it was close to nothing to finance the difference.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #259
nalc

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
BRZFan, just give it a break. All you're doing at this point is trolling. Note the title of the thread is specifically addressing Limited owners. I have no idea why any thread that specifically asks the opinion or advice of a specific subset of forum members inevitably has a dozen people outside of that subset come in just to circlejerk and troll.

Seriously, it goes like this

"BRZ owners, how do I use the BRZ headlight adjustment?"
"your head unit sucks, my FR-S is better, it's a more gritty driver's car, plus Scion is a Toyota brand and they came up with the concept"

"People with stock wheels, what's a good tire for autocross?"
"You really need to run staggered 18" wheels like I do, it's mad JDM tyte brah"

"FR-S owners, what is a good looking spoiler"
"Nothing looks as good as my stock Subaru spoiler, you really should have gotten a BRZ instead"

"FR-S w/ BeSpoke owners, how do I change my presets"
"I threw out the shitty factory head unit and got a Pioneer double DIN, you should do that"

"Limited owners, do you feel the extra goodies are worth it?
"I don't have a limited but anyone who paid more for keyless entry is a tard."

Seriously, you've made more posts than anybody else in this thread, and you're keeping it going long after it ran its course, and the OP wasn't even asking your opinion.
nalc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nalc For This Useful Post:
2013GTRNate (08-20-2013), AznBRZer (08-19-2013), Kwisak (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #260
BRZfan

That would have been nice. But I had to opt for the Premium because the Limited did not have cloth seats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggaeboyz View Post
I think all of this could be solved if Subaru would allow you to pick and choose the options.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:15 AM   #261
Zoti

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I don't have mine yet. Will be picking it up next week but I wanted the leather seats, keyless entry and push button start. The other upgrades are nice to have as well. So it was definitely worth it.
Zoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:29 AM   #262
Bones36

Drives: 13 Brz Jrsc
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Just curious, why would any one want cloth seats over leather?
Bones36 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bones36 For This Useful Post:
2013GTRNate (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 05:17 AM   #263
go2brz

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited in DGM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
"Humans take luxuries for granted once they have owned them, and expect nothing less in any new item they may buy. Car luxuries are no different.

I you want a DD that satisfies your minimum luxury levels then the "Limited" BRZ is the best choice for the value. I you have not been "spoiled" by such luxuries they are not so important to you (until you have them and don't want to go back).

The "Limited" was the only choice for me, but then I don't want to go back.

1) I love the Keyless Access and Start Button. Had it for the last 4 years on my previous car and of course it "spoiled" me. I am planning to trade my other car in next year and it will have to have keyless access and start button, or it will not be consdiered. Whenever I go to use the SUV for times it is needed, I find it very bothering that I constantly forget to pull out the Key Fob and open the doors, and I constantly leave the keys in the car. Either never get this option if you own two cars, or resign yourself to the fact that you will soon own two that have this featuer

2) I am so happy to have Alcantara seats. And I added JPM Coachworks Alcantara parts for the Dash Insrument Cover, the door speaker panel covers and the inner console knee pads. (They match the factory parts with the twinline red stiching and all. I value Alcantara much more highly than many posting here. Maserati's have Alcantara all over the dash, the seats, and the doors. (Sounds like my BRZ...) it is flippin' georgeus. Audi's (and a few others now as well) charge a very pretty price for alcantara inserts as an option. (And you can find many 15 to 20 year old Subaru SVX's on the road where the entire dashboard and wrap around sections into the doors and rear side panels are still in perfect shape. Alcatara grabs the driver much more than cloth or velour, and it has better strength and holds up better than any cheaper cloth.

3) Had Auto Climate on my last two three cars and once you learn their habits it becomes easy to adjsut them to your liking. And once you learn all the facets, it is much better at making the car the way you want it and maintaing it without further adjstments. But like anything new.....you have to have time to learn the nuances and master the combination of settings that affect how the auto climate responds. I prefer it now much more a "blue to red" spin knob.

4)The HID headlights are fantastic with the dash control to raise and lower them. Best headlights I have owned in a car. (And I have modified lights on a few) The Fog Lights help quite a bit on dark country or mountain winding roads as the illuminate the road low and close to the car to help show the painted lines and the shoulder in much better clarity

5) The "dreaded" head unit is obvously not the very best that most buyers of this car would like to have. I have bought cars over the last several years where the NAV system was "only" the NAV system and most of them sucked, yet they would ask $1800 to $2500 (on average cars) like Hondas, BMW's and even some Toyota's and Outbacks. They all sucked compared to the dashtop GARMIN unit you could go buy for $200.00 (top end 5" screen with bluetooth) So I actually feel that I got a good amount of value for my money being that it does give me accurate directions and gets me where I want to go (after the upgrade) and that it incorporates a decent Bluetooth sytem for both Phone and Audio (like Pandora). Yes it is a slow process to learn it well enough to use it safely and not let it distract your attention too long because it is slow or touchy. But I have learned it and consider that it has a decent value factor with a 7 inch screen all in one NAV/Bluetooth (Audio also)/and Music controls that comes standard in a car for under 28K. I don't think Ford Touch is better, as I have used one. For those who find it totally unacceptable, just replace it. The other items in the package still make up for it, and maybe you can find a premium owner who would like to buy it.

All in All, when you compare it to packages on more expensive cars it is a very good bargain for the package price with all that you get for $3000.00. Especially for those who want a fun car that we can "autocross" for some excitement, but plan to use it as our DD, yet really desire as many of the creature comforts of other cars we have owned. For us it is an easy decison to make based on the cost versus value.

But if none of those factors matter to someone or if they want a stripped "basic" car to make it a "dedicated" track car, then this package is not worth the money at all.
go2brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to go2brz For This Useful Post:
2013GTRNate (08-20-2013), 37 (08-20-2013), AznBRZer (08-20-2013), BRZfan (08-20-2013), Stierzy34 (08-20-2013), thill (08-20-2013)