follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #85
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBRZ View Post
Yes my car would run 10's with traction. Map 4 for the Win!
I'll believe it when I see the time slips. Don't even need slicks, go run your car down the 1\4 mile and we'll be able to tell by your trap speed.
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:05 PM   #86
BadBRZ
Banned

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post
Lol this is exactly what I'm talking about.... "still out perform a Z06." No it wouldn't. You might do one, maybe two things better than a Z06, but your car in no way would be better than a Z06. Ever.

You might go faster in a straight line... you might pull more G's around a skid pad... you might have a slightly better stopping distance... But you'd never do all three, for cheaper, lap after lap, day after day... You just wouldn't. I guarantee you no matter how much money you put into your car, it's never going to be completely better (and still cheaper) than a Z06. Or an M3. Or a CTS-V. Or xxxx more expensive sports car. Every single car on the market was properly developed and vetted by an army of engineers to meet certain performance goals at a certain price point. You will never be able to turn a lesser platform into something that is better at everything but still less expensive than a more expensive starting point.

I had your same mindset just a few months ago. But the difference is I've done my research. I've talked to the right people. I was on the ground floor with the people who are specifically developing and testing these V8 swapped FR-S and BRZ cars. I had been planning to drop a V8 in my car since the day I bought it. Over a year and a half later, I sold it. You're not going to trust me when I say "trust me" but you should.

1: outperforming a z06 isn't my goal nor would i spend money with that ambition

2: now your throwingin crap liek "lap after lap day after day" ... that changes everything.... with that mind set a stock prius out performs a f1 race car because it can drive for over a hundred thousand miles with out needing a rebuild

3: yes i understand a z06 base is better than ft86 base... can an FT86 be modded to outperform a z06 in g's, 1/4mile and top speed for less... YES... will it last longer ... no.... will it be as valuable ... no .... will it be unique .. yes
BadBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BadBRZ For This Useful Post:
Atropine (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #87
BadBRZ
Banned

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STV3 View Post
I'll believe it when I see the time slips. Don't even need slicks, go run your car down the 1\4 mile and we'll be able to tell by your trap speed.

HAHA ... any big turbo 86 @2.2bar on e85 is a 10 second car if they can get traction i don't need to prove anything about it... ask any one of the other turbo guys
BadBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #88
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I would bet that for $25k I could build an '89 Honda Civic that would outperform a stock FR-S/BRZ around a track, autocross course, straight-line, and place better in a car show.

This whole thread is irrelevant to everything...
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #89
Acree

Drives: 13 CSB BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
3: yes i understand a z06 base is better than ft86 base... can an FT86 be modded to outperform a z06 in g's, 1/4mile and top speed for less... YES... will it last longer ... no.... will it be as valuable ... no .... will it be unique .. yes
Acceleration, maybe. G's, probably not. Top speed, HAH hell no. You'd need to touch drive ratios, aero, wheels/tires, and brakes for that. The C6 Z06 top speed is 198 mph. Please show me a twin doing anything close to 198 mph. There aren't any unless they're fully built racecars. The automatic's are geared for that tall, but can't handle anywhere near the power required to reach it.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #90
STV3
Seņor Member

Quote:
HAHA ... any big turbo 86 @2.2bar on e85 is a 10 second car if they can get traction i don't need to prove anything about it... ask any one of the other turbo guys
Oh so now you're running 32psi

Please show me all these 10 second "big turbo" 86's
Old 08-26-2014, 06:27 PM   #91
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
YEp and you would have a fwd POS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
I would bet that for $25k I could build an '89 Honda Civic that would outperform a stock FR-S/BRZ around a track, autocross course, straight-line, and place better in a car show.

This whole thread is irrelevant to everything...
Yep and you would have an ugly FWD POS...

With the FRS we would have a RWD, beautiful hot performing monster...

So what's your point???

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #92
Jaden
Road-hole

you need to check yourself...

Quote:
Oh so now you're running 32psi

Please show me all these 10 second "big turbo" 86's
2.2 bar relative to vacuum is 17 psi...

Jadrn
Old 08-26-2014, 06:42 PM   #93
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Yep and you would have an ugly FWD POS...

With the FRS we would have a RWD, beautiful hot performing monster...

So what's your point???

Jaden
That's your opinion... you should go over to the Vette forums and see what they think of our car... I would say it would be quite possible that "ugly" and "POS" would both get used to describe your spooge car...

On a side note, who cares if it is RWD or FWD if it is winning? Faster times == Faster times.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:51 PM   #94
pushrod
Benched 86lb

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
On a side note, who cares if it is RWD or FWD if it is winning? Faster times == Faster times.
I do. RWD is a huge part of the twin's appeal. Without it, I would go right by them, on my RWD bicycle.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pushrod For This Useful Post:
jebuwh (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 06:56 PM   #95
STV3
Seņor Member

Quote:
2.2 bar relative to vacuum is 17 psi...

Jadrn
Would you mind explaining? I was always under the impression that 1 bar = 14.5 psi.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:06 PM   #96
Jaden
Road-hole

Check out the link...

Quote:
Would you mind explaining? I was always under the impression that 1 bar = 14.5 psi.
http://www.convertunits.com/from/bar/to/psi

atmospheric is already at one bar. If you are comparing bar as it relates to above atmospheric like in car boosting applications, then you need to basically subtract 14.7 psi.

2.2 bar would be 32 psi minus atmospheric, which is 14.7 at sea level.

Jaden
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:
Atropine (08-26-2014), STV3 (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 07:09 PM   #97
STV3
Seņor Member

Quote:
http://www.convertunits.com/from/bar/to/psi

atmospheric is already at one bar. If you are comparing bar as it relates to above atmospheric like in car boosting applications, then you need to basically subtract 14.7 psi.

2.2 bar would be 32 psi minus atmospheric, which is 14.7 at sea level.

Jaden
Well I'll be damned
Old 08-26-2014, 10:13 PM   #98
Atropine

Drives: 2021 Toyota Supra 2020 4Runner
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post
Lol this is exactly what I'm talking about.... "still out perform a Z06." No it wouldn't. You might do one, maybe two things better than a Z06, but your car in no way would be better than a Z06. Ever.

You might go faster in a straight line... you might pull more G's around a skid pad... you might have a slightly better stopping distance... But you'd never do all three, for cheaper, lap after lap, day after day... You just wouldn't. I guarantee you no matter how much money you put into your car, it's never going to be completely better (and still cheaper) than a Z06. Or an M3. Or a CTS-V. Or xxxx more expensive sports car. Every single car on the market was properly developed and vetted by an army of engineers to meet certain performance goals at a certain price point. You will never be able to turn a lesser platform into something that is better at everything but still less expensive than a more expensive starting point.

I had your same mindset just a few months ago. But the difference is I've done my research. I've talked to the right people. I was on the ground floor with the people who are specifically developing and testing these V8 swapped FR-S and BRZ cars. I had been planning to drop a V8 in my car since the day I bought it. Over a year and a half later, I sold it. You're not going to trust me when I say "trust me" but you should.
I agree with this 100%

I have owned a Nismo 350Z, STi, SRT8 Challenger....

For what those cars excelled at...I did not do near enough to justify the high purchase price.

That is why I downgraded to a BRZ...and then when my Grandfather decided it was time for him to pass down his 1991 Miata...I downgraded again.

Since purchasing the Miata...I realized how great of shape it is (65k miles and in great shape)...so I bought an S/C AW-11.

I promise my AW-11 with a $4600 purchase price and another 5k thrown into suspension, wheels/tires and pulleys for the Supercharger will run circles (in AutoX or an short track) around a stock BRZ....

Of course it will not look as good...have a warranty...or be comfy on an interstate...and when stupid shit like the passenger door window actuator goes out (and it did) it will be a pain in the fucking ass to fix it because I cannot locate a part for it.

I will still love my AW-11...just as people will love their built Twins.

But get real...a built AW-11 is NOT a better car than the Twins because I can go faster in AutoX or accelerate faster etc etc.

Just like a built Twin is not better than a Z06 Vette because it is faster in AutoX or course work.

BTW I don't want to play this card...

But you guys running 15 PSI on a stock bottom end with stock internals...I do look forward to your "Re-Build" threads because we all know that is what is going to happen down the road.

BTW I am comfy saying that...because I will have a build thread shortly on my AW-11 and if I get a whole year out of the engine running 13 PSI without needing huge work...I will be happy...so yeah...I am expecting a Re-build thread for myself as well.

And that stock Z06 Vette? It will just be better, while its owner's only post is "Hi, I am the new guy" on his/her forums.

Also, I get the GM hate...but the Vette is an amazing car (has been for a long time) and the new ones...are stupidly amazing. Go ride in one or let a buddy let you blast it down an on ramp.
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote