follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-26-2015, 06:05 PM   #169
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Dr. BRZ: but have you tried to switch drivers? It's usually the nut behind the wheel, that makes most difference. I'm sure i'd drive twice slower on uber aftermarket upgraded one then eg. CSG Mike on stock.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:17 PM   #170
Slysdexia

Drives: '14 Monogram 6MT FR-S - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Cor10:23 View Post
@Slysdexia @johan how much do you have to lift the top of the bumper to squeeze the snorkel back in? Does your HKS duct scrap against anything as you slide it back in? Reason I ask is because I decided to put heat reflective tape on mine and would like to try and avoid scraping it off.

Thanks!
I had to pull the bumper up fairly high to squeeze it in, but only the frontmost edge really touched anything during install.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #171
Joon525

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slysdexia View Post
Well, actually...

I just did this to install my duct without removing the bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
You don't have to remove the bumper to mod the snorkel...
  1. Remove the stock intake.
  2. Remove all of the bolts / clips holding the hood seal on and remove the hood seal
  3. Remove the two bolts holding the bumper to the alignment tabs above the headlights (to give you just a bit more slack on the top lip of the bumper)
  4. Remove the 6 silver bolts (2 on top, 2 by the header, and 2 on either side of the bumper facing the front of the car) and 2 clips (next to the 2 bolts on the front side) that hold the crossmember on
  5. Gently pry upward on the bumper and wiggle the crossmember out
  6. Profit

Did this last night to mod my snorkel. Was SUPER easy, I've removed many many many bumpers in my day (I've owned 18 cars, all modded one way or another), and this was trivial in comparison to pulling a bumper.

Here's the Proof:

Note:

There is a bolt and a clip down here. I used a ratcheting wrench to loosen the bolt, then fished it out with my hands. If you pry up gently on the bumper with one hand, it should give you just enough clearance to get your other hand in there to get the bolt / clip out. The clip is exact same style as the ones that hold the hood seal on, so a thin flat head screw driver works well for popping them loose, just be gentle.

Just be careful not to drop either of them into the bumper. Taking care to do this right, is worth it. The effort spent on these two bolts and two clips is far less than removing the bumper.

Remove these two bolts down by the header.

And.... my ugly snorkel mod. Flared the edges which made it look yucky, but should be functional. Used Shiv's recommendation on using a pop bottle to deform it after heating it up.

And the best part.....

Bumper still fits like a dream

Thanks to @Slysdexia and @johan I got this installed without removing the bumper.

2 things I'll add.
  1. When reinstalling the cross member tilt it so the passenger side of the duct goes in first.
  2. I put some masking tape on the top of my headlights so the bumper skin wouldn't scratch anything during the install.
Joon525 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joon525 For This Useful Post:
johan (04-12-2017)
Old 03-22-2023, 02:44 PM   #172
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,921 Times in 1,768 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Wonder how us fitment
https://www.velossatechdesign.com/pr...intake-snorkel
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 06:18 PM   #173
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
I would do the Greedy instead.
Grady is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
PulsarBeeerz (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 08:39 AM   #174
almostquick

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Aren’t all of the snorkel options more detrimental to the AFR and performance of the car if adding to a car with a stock or off the shelf tune? I thought this was something GrimmSpeed proved several years back.

For the people adding these snorkels, are you getting custom tunes to see the benefits or has anyone identified actual benefits with these to a car with an off the shelf tune (e.g., OFT stg2).
almostquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:22 AM   #175
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostquick View Post
Aren’t all of the snorkel options more detrimental to the AFR and performance of the car if adding to a car with a stock or off the shelf tune? I thought this was something GrimmSpeed proved several years back.

For the people adding these snorkels, are you getting custom tunes to see the benefits or has anyone identified actual benefits with these to a car with an off the shelf tune (e.g., OFT stg2).
First time I've heard that. I ran the Greedy snorkel for years and never noticed any anomalies with AFR, the MAF is down stream after all. The only thing I noticed from logging was lower IATs.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
Teseo (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 10:46 AM   #176
almostquick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
First time I've heard that. I ran the Greedy snorkel for years and never noticed any anomalies with AFR, the MAF is down stream after all. The only thing I noticed from logging was lower IATs.
And I’ve heard it both ways, so your feedback there with your experience is beneficial. Here was Grimmspeed’s synopsis of their testing along with the original post:

“Well, not a whole lot different than expected, right? A nice little bump in power (4-5whp), but she's looking pretty lean. The modded snorkel appears to richen things up a bit but maintain the gain. The silicone elbow doesn't appear to have much of an affect on performance (1-2whp with the stock filter and less with the K&N). All in all, the K&N drop-in and modded snorkel are not a bad gain for such a small investment, but we're not wild about the change in AFR.”

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56341
Old 03-23-2023, 10:59 AM   #177
PulsarBeeerz

Quote:
And I’ve heard it both ways, so your feedback there with your experience is beneficial. Here was Grimmspeed’s synopsis of their testing along with the original post:

“Well, not a whole lot different than expected, right? A nice little bump in power (4-5whp), but she's looking pretty lean. The modded snorkel appears to richen things up a bit but maintain the gain. The silicone elbow doesn't appear to have much of an affect on performance (1-2whp with the stock filter and less with the K&N). All in all, the K&N drop-in and modded snorkel are not a bad gain for such a small investment, but we're not wild about the change in AFR.”

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56341

Oh that one! An important thing to consider in their test is no aftermarket snorkel was used. They modded the stocker, they didn't use one that extended the entry point lower for better IATs. Also it has been reported many times that the filter element has an effect on AFR in the short term. Those same AFRs would stabilize after 60-100 miles of driving once the ECU learns and adjust. A few comments down someone has the exact setup they tested with AFRs in the high 11s which is perfectly fine. But they had been running that setup for a while.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:51 PM   #178
almostquick

That is a very good point, that in their testing they never used an aftermarket snorkel. I may end up giving one a try to see what the results are.
Old 03-23-2023, 03:18 PM   #179
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

The stock snorkel has resonance chambers on it that are designed to do.....something, I don't recall exactly. Something to do with pressure fluctuations. They also help reduce noise. Don't know how to correlate having them vs not though unless someone wanted to do back to back dyno's on the same setup with and without.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:33 PM   #180
Espi

Drives: 17 BRZ
I can confirm running a Greddy Snorkel ran AFR on the richer side after installation. Nothing crazy but I did get another tune to correct it.

I also run the HKS carbon intake tube.
Espi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Espi For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (03-24-2023), Teseo (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 05:46 PM   #181
PulsarBeeerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi View Post
I can confirm running a Greddy Snorkel ran AFR on the richer side after installation. Nothing crazy but I did get another tune to correct it.

Interesting, mine ran slightly leaner, again nothing crazy (~.1-.2 AFR) or worth tuning for. But I was running an E85 tune at the time if that makes a difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
Teseo (03-23-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 10:41 AM   #182
almostquick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi View Post

While we have more people coming in and providing their experiences, did you notice any tangible benefits with using the Greddy snorkel espi?