follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Another Homelink mirror is loose\falling off\rattling thread

After a few months of ownership my mirror came loose and fell off my windshield, fortunately not breaking anything. I bought the 'updated' bracket kit at the dealership and while it has not fallen off after a year, my mirror shakes\vibrates to the point where it's useless if I have music on with any bass.

Did I get the wrong updated bracket, or is it normal for this mirror to shake\vibrate even with a 100% normal functioning bracket? I really want to find a way to secure this, has anyone figured out any tricks to tighten it up?
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
Coheed

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mine rattles. I thought it was the dash at first, but started to trace it to that. My car is stock, I wonder if the dealer should address that issue as well...
Coheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:55 AM   #3
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry for reviving this, but does anyone have a fix for this? Recently purchased a new bracket after stripping old one (tried removing homelink mirror ONCE and it stripped). Seemed sturdy after install but rattles came back after about 2 weeks.

Thinking maybe I need to glue the heavy bracket to the windshield?
Old 06-29-2015, 08:34 AM   #4
Shinobu's Smile

Drives: 2010 Tacoma, 2015 BRZ AT Limited
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx View Post
Sorry for reviving this, but does anyone have a fix for this? Recently purchased a new bracket after stripping old one (tried removing homelink mirror ONCE and it stripped). Seemed sturdy after install but rattles came back after about 2 weeks.

Thinking maybe I need to glue the heavy bracket to the windshield?

Go to Homedepot and get some flat top machine screws 8-32 X1/2 (nonself-tapping) and replace the 2 self tapping mounting screws. These allow you to tighten the bracket a lot snugger. It may help to also put some threadlocker on them. I had the newer bracket mount and had the same loose/wobbly mirror issues. Swapping the screws out completely fixed it. I may have also wrapped the "U" pin with a layer of electrical tape to snug them up too.
Shinobu's Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shinobu's Smile For This Useful Post:
xxBrun0xx (06-29-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 09:30 AM   #5
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
I bent that U spring slightly inwards (towards the glass) near the legs and used larger screws. That provided a really snug fit, but I overtightened it apparently. With the really hot days we had last week, the puck that is glued to the window fell off. This is a replacement windshield so that may have something to do with it.

Sent from my XT1095
Old 09-19-2016, 10:28 AM   #6
g0lds

Drives: 14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobu's Smile View Post
Go to Homedepot and get some flat top machine screws 8-32 X1/2 (nonself-tapping) and replace the 2 self tapping mounting screws. These allow you to tighten the bracket a lot snugger. It may help to also put some threadlocker on them. I had the newer bracket mount and had the same loose/wobbly mirror issues. Swapping the screws out completely fixed it. I may have also wrapped the "U" pin with a layer of electrical tape to snug them up too.
I know this thread is old - sorry for reviving, but I just wanted to say that this method above worked for me. My second biggest complaint about my '14 BRZ (aside from the crickets) was that the mirror would vibrate really bad even on the smoothest road. Dealer replaced the mirror assembly but did not replace the mount bracket and it still had the annoying vibration.

I followed the method above (except I did not wrap the pin in electrical tape) and viola. Took all of 5 minutes to do and cost $0.53 in screws from ACE hardware. Definitely worth the investment to cure the vibration and save the embarrassment and headache of your mirror falling off the pedestal

Last edited by g0lds; 09-19-2016 at 11:39 AM.
g0lds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #7
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
My issue was I was not tightening it enough out of fear of breaking the bracket or windshield. I decided to put some torque on it and it snugged up fine and hasn't budged since (& I used Loctite). I did replace the bracket when I created this thread so it could be a revised version.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #8
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0lds View Post
I know this thread is old - sorry for reviving, but I just wanted to say that this method above worked for me. My second biggest complaint about my '14 BRZ (aside from the crickets) was that the mirror would vibrate really bad even on the smoothest road. Dealer replaced the mirror assembly but did not replace the mount bracket and it still had the annoying vibration.

I followed the method above (except I did not wrap the pin in electrical tape) and viola. Took all of 5 minutes to do and cost $0.53 in screws from ACE hardware. Definitely worth the investment to cure the vibration and save the embarrassment and headache of your mirror falling off the pedestal
Any pictures of the screws or links to it?
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #9
Shinobu's Smile

Drives: 2010 Tacoma, 2015 BRZ AT Limited
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Any pictures of the screws or links to it?

any flat top machine screws 8-32 X1/2 (nonself-tapping). Show someone at homedepot these dimenions and they can help you out.

They may look the ones in the link below although it doesn't have to be brass colored.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...9851/202706223
Shinobu's Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shinobu's Smile For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 01:46 PM   #10
retoocs

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I ran two beads RTV silicone along the side of the bracket. That seems to dampen the vibration even with the new bracket.
retoocs is offline   Reply With Quote