follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-06-2018, 11:02 PM   #43
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Apex'i updated their header to have an AT version as well for use with automatic transmissions. Smaller resonator is the only difference.

149-T015J, same MSRP.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
CkOne (10-02-2020), Espi (03-24-2022)
Old 03-23-2018, 01:48 AM   #44
myasis14

Drives: 2014 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I just installed the A’pexi EL headers/OP/FP with the Fujitsubo Authorize R exhaust. I was previously running the Tomei UEL headers, JDL ultra quiet front pipe, and a Perrin 2.5” resonated exhaust. While the former setup was a lot of fun and involved what I felt were good parts, the UQFP and Perrin exhaust was still loud enough to the point where the girlfriend was having an issue with it (happy wife, happy life they say). I also start work really early in the morning, and the neighbors weren’t very happy with the car as it warmed up at 530am. Lastly, I didn’t feel that the JDL and Tomei pipes really worked well together. I wanted to go with something that were meant to pair with each other. I decided it was time to try out a new system. I hit up long time friend mav1178 , and FR-Sport delivered.

Install: A’pexi and Fujitsubo make quality parts, and all pipes are made to mate with the stock piping, so it went pretty well. Of course I didn’t even THINK about that fact that mating a header to FP system to a catback may require a new OEM (donut) gasket. We had used a flat gasket to mate the Perrin and JDL FP together. I printed out the diagram CygnusX1 posted in this thread, and that came in handy when taking out the two 02 sensors from the UEL, and placing one in the EL, and one in the front pipe (thanks dude). Is this common with other EL headers? @churchx – sorry man, I forgot about your post, otherwise I would’ve got the measurement of the inlet.

Sound: The system is fairly quiet at idle and during normal driving. Almost stock like, except for a deeper tone. Once you start mashing on the gas above 3500rpm however, it absolutely emits a sporty tone that is tolerable, pleasurable. With the windows up audible shifting cue points can be a little difficult to hear however. Eh – just rev a little higher. Overall It’s a mature setup that still sounds fun.

Driving Experience: People often say how a header and a tune will eliminate (or diminish) the torque dip, and while the Tomei setup improved it, I still felt a lag in the lower to mid range. Its only been two days since we put in the new system, but it feels as if there’s no dip whatsoever now. I’m sure there still is, and this could be a bit placebo (new toys syndrome) but it feels significantly more linear compared to the Tomei UEL setup. It feels surprisingly faster.

Smell: it’s only been a couple of days. The Marshmallow smell that comes with new exhaust systems is finally going away. While I used to smell a little gas from the JDL I don’t smell anything from this front pipe – at least from within the vehicle. As the weekend arrives and more time frees up for driving I’ll monitor a bit better. I wanted to make Smores though. I still do.

Of note:
I’m running OFT tune v2.076 EL
The A’pexi system is actually made for an automatic, but I drive manual. The only difference between the two setups is the resonator size (less rectangular on the auto version). Unfortunately we don’t have both on hand to compare sound wise or size wise. I got the automatic version because it was the only one in stock from Japan. Neither Japan nor US had the manual version available for shipment.

Final Thoughts: When CygnusX1 posted his encounter with the A’pexi system as part of his setup it seemed a bit too good to be true. Now that I’m running it, I feel my experience falls in line with his. Overall I’m really happy with this setup, one I wish I had from the beginning. The sound level will make GF and neighbors happier, while keeping the car fun for me. The gas smell seems diminished, and driving feels even more fun with this setup. Just want to thank mav1178, Fr-Sport and CygnusX1.

Last edited by myasis14; 03-23-2018 at 01:53 AM. Reason: textual layout
myasis14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to myasis14 For This Useful Post:
CkOne (10-02-2020), saltywetman (04-19-2020), SuperTom (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 09:34 PM   #45
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
is there any more reviews of this system?

Currently have a UEL setup but want to switch to the cleaner sound of a EL setup. ACE350 seems to be king right now but there has to be other contenders
Old 03-24-2020, 01:07 AM   #46
saltywetman

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Sorry for bumping up an old thread, just have a question for the owners of this setup, because it lacks the cat in header, do you guys get the engine light coming on?
saltywetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:12 AM   #47
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltywetman View Post
Sorry for bumping up an old thread, just have a question for the owners of this setup, because it lacks the cat in header, do you guys get the engine light coming on?
This would apply to any catless header, yes you will have a cel until you remove it with a tune.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:17 AM   #48
saltywetman

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
wasn't there was a post a few pages earlier with someone saying they didn't get a CEL yet and that there was this tiny hole apexi put in before the second sensor that was able to "trick" the sensor to prevent the light from coming on? Just would like to hear an update from those who have own this particular setup now that they've had it for a while whether they encounted the CEL later on
saltywetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:45 PM   #49
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
This or Fujitsubo EPU?
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote