follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #1
nick3975

Drives: Silver toyota 86 gt 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
XForce UEL uncatted headers

Hey, first post here I'm thinking of getting UEL headers for my 86, but since I'm from Australia and my budget isn't the largest, my options seem to be very limited. I've had a look at a couple options, and the cheapest ones I could find were the Ultrex, Empire Performance and XForce UEL headers. I can't seem to find anything at all on Empire Performance, so I think I've eliminated those as an option. I've heard some decent stuff about Ultrex, but also some bad stuff. Same goes for XForce. However, that's mostly been with other vehicles such as WRX's, Holden Commodores, Ford Falcons, etc etc. I can't seem to find a lot on their products for the twins. I have also read a couple of things indicating that XForce has upped their quality in recent years (2015+), so I'm leaning towards XForce at the moment. Just wanted to post here to see if anyone has had any experience with either Ultrex's or XForce's exhaust sytems.

XForce header:
https://xforce.com.au/product/hs-t86-02kit/

Ultrex header:
https://www.ultrex.com.au/ultrex-une...r-subaru-brz-t

Thanks
nick3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #2
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Find a 17+ oem header and decat that puppy with s hammer snd screwdriver, use the saved money on more tune time.

The only advantage a cheap aftermarket header has over a oem is it is catless.

Look at the dimensions of the aftermarket vs the oem before you pull the trigger.

Opinions may vary
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:50 PM   #3
natekwondo

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Manual 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3975 View Post
Hey, first post here I'm thinking of getting UEL headers for my 86, but since I'm from Australia and my budget isn't the largest, my options seem to be very limited. I've had a look at a couple options, and the cheapest ones I could find were the Ultrex, Empire Performance and XForce UEL headers. I can't seem to find anything at all on Empire Performance, so I think I've eliminated those as an option. I've heard some decent stuff about Ultrex, but also some bad stuff. Same goes for XForce. However, that's mostly been with other vehicles such as WRX's, Holden Commodores, Ford Falcons, etc etc. I can't seem to find a lot on their products for the twins. I have also read a couple of things indicating that XForce has upped their quality in recent years (2015+), so I'm leaning towards XForce at the moment. Just wanted to post here to see if anyone has had any experience with either Ultrex's or XForce's exhaust sytems.

XForce header:
https://xforce.com.au/product/hs-t86-02kit/

Ultrex header:
https://www.ultrex.com.au/ultrex-une...r-subaru-brz-t

Thanks
Not sure if this will help your decision, but I have the Ultrex Almost El catted header (https://www.ultrex.com.au/toyota-86-...actors-headers) and the Ultrex Overpipe (https://www.ultrex.com.au/brz-86-ove...ltimate-series) installed. It goes well, I have had this combination on for the last 8 months, no leaks, combined with the tune with goes really well.
natekwondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:01 PM   #4
86MLR

I also have the ULTREX overpipe. 2.5", Excellent value, mine is wrapped.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:38 PM   #5
natekwondo

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Manual 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by natekwondo View Post
Not sure if this will help your decision, but I have the Ultrex Almost El catted header (https://www.ultrex.com.au/toyota-86-...actors-headers) and the Ultrex Overpipe (https://www.ultrex.com.au/brz-86-ove...ltimate-series) installed. It goes well, I have had this combination on for the last 8 months, no leaks, combined with the tune with goes really well.
In addition, your probably already aware that when you install either of these parts you will no longer have heat shielding around the header/overpipe and it is strongly recommended to ceramic coat or wrap. I had the same issue, but wanted to keep the cost down so I ceramic coated using VHT flameproof spray paint. Which in my opinion works perfectly fine, BUT, only if you prepare the header and overpipe properly (sanding, degreasing, baking the header on the car multiple times to cure the paint) The heat is comparable in the engine bay to when I had the heat shielding back on.
natekwondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:25 AM   #6
86MLR

This is why you wrap the overpipe, a thin layer of paint does nothing IRT radiant heat.

Same for the header, this is why a decat OEM header works so well, it has its OEM heat sheilding and with the cat removed flows extremely well.

The OEM header also has larger primaries than most cheap aftermarket headers and is actually designed quite well.

The only header I would look at is the SME EL or the ACE header. But you will pay for the privilege, upwards of 1.5k.

Be aware not all headers will fit our RHD cars.

The header choice is the most important bolt on part when it comes to NA performance, but, you can piss money away very easily for little to no gain.

With a oem decat and a tuner who knows what he is doing you will make much more power than and expensive header and a sub par tune.

These cars are strangled with emmisions hardware and the oem tune.

I am also in Sydney.

Click on the link in my sig to see how I skinned this particular cat....

Opinions may vary
Old 05-08-2019, 01:49 AM   #7
nick3975

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
This is why you wrap the overpipe, a thin layer of paint does nothing IRT radiant heat.

Same for the header, this is why a decat OEM header works so well, it has its OEM heat sheilding and with the cat removed flows extremely well.

The OEM header also has larger primaries than most cheap aftermarket headers and is actually designed quite well.

The only header I would look at is the SME EL or the ACE header. But you will pay for the privilege, upwards of 1.5k.

Be aware not all headers will fit our RHD cars.

The header choice is the most important bolt on part when it comes to NA performance, but, you can piss money away very easily for little to no gain.

With a oem decat and a tuner who knows what he is doing you will make much more power than and expensive header and a sub par tune.

These cars are strangled with emmisions hardware and the oem tune.

I am also in Sydney.

Click on the link in my sig to see how I skinned this particular cat....

Opinions may vary
I appreciate the suggestion to decat the oem headers, but I was looking at going UEL more for the sound rather than performance. I'm not planning to seriously consider/prioritise performance in the near future, so until then I think I'd like to run UEL. Although performance is an added bonus, it's currently second on my list to appearance, sound and feel. I know that sounds like I'm just a total ricer and I could probably be considered one, but that's just how I feel at the moment haha. I may look at a tune a little down the road, maybe in a couple months time when I earn some more money, but I'm not looking to squeeze out every last bit of performance my FA20 has to offer, hence why I'm looking at UEL over EL and more budget over top of the shelf stuff.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:21 AM   #8
86MLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3975 View Post
I appreciate the suggestion to decat the oem headers, but I was looking at going UEL more for the sound rather than performance. I'm not planning to seriously consider/prioritise performance in the near future, so until then I think I'd like to run UEL. Although performance is an added bonus, it's currently second on my list to appearance, sound and feel. I know that sounds like I'm just a total ricer and I could probably be considered one, but that's just how I feel at the moment haha. I may look at a tune a little down the road, maybe in a couple months time when I earn some more money, but I'm not looking to squeeze out every last bit of performance my FA20 has to offer, hence why I'm looking at UEL over EL and more budget over top of the shelf stuff.
I understand where you are coming from, I once had a Yamaha125 scooter that I put a exhaust off a RS250 Aprilia on.

Enjoy your toys I say.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:14 AM   #9
Sliver_bullet

Drives: 2014 Argento Scion Frs
I have the Xforce uel header/ overpipe combo. Currently using it with the MXP Comp RS catback and a custom front pipe with a resonator. I Personally love my set up. It can be loud at times ie: cold starts are ridiculous. but with the V4 Open Flash tune, they eliminated the high rpm cold start and it is significantly quieter.
Build quality is kind of what you'd expect for $500 headers, not the best but will definitely last you. plus it's like you're getting an overpipe for free.
Sliver_bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:34 PM   #10
nick3975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver_bullet View Post
I have the Xforce uel header/ overpipe combo. Currently using it with the MXP Comp RS catback and a custom front pipe with a resonator. I Personally love my set up. It can be loud at times ie: cold starts are ridiculous. but with the V4 Open Flash tune, they eliminated the high rpm cold start and it is significantly quieter.
Build quality is kind of what you'd expect for $500 headers, not the best but will definitely last you. plus it's like you're getting an overpipe for free.
Thanks, that gives me a bit of confidence in buying the headers. Thinking of ordering today