follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #15
blacknbean
Butterscotch Boss

Drives: 335i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
thomas guide. cheap, you can install them yourself, and there are no wires
Lol I have fond memories growing up looking thru that thing for my dad helping him find places. Ahh life before gps
blacknbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:56 AM   #16
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion FR-S View Post
Thanks - l like the vent mount idea, I do not want my windshield blocked, and the only mounts I have seen so far are the windshield suction cups and the "bean-bag" style dashtop mounts.
As I posted in another thread, I think that vent hook mount is the best option, for me anyway. The suction cup may fall if the window is not flat or temperature drop. If you think you can remove it and reattach it, you will be surprised how quickly the device will fall. (had my device fell while I was driving. Not a fond memory. )

Edit: not sure how sticky it is for the bean bag option during spirited driving. I did not go that route so I donno.

You can get the generic gps vent mount in cdn tire for like 30 dollars. Might be cheaper in other places.
Want.FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Want.FR-S For This Useful Post:
Sport-Tech (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,958 Times in 11,383 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want.FR-S View Post
I wonder if the amazon kindle would be a cheaper option for the tablet.
The Fire would work (I've used it with mine) but there are cheaper Android tablets (some under $100) that would work as well. As long as it does BT you should be OK.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Want.FR-S (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #18
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
The Fire would work (I've used it with mine) but there are cheaper Android tablets (some under $100) that would work as well. As long as it does BT you should be OK.
While the tablet might be cheap, I thought from the earlier discussion you will need a data plan for GPS? If so leaving the thing running for a few hours every day could add big $ to your mobile bill - you would want to know the downstream kbit/sec while it's running to calculate your monthly costs.

BT can be mighty fussy, you would want to confirm that it connects properly with the car while you can still return the tablet.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #19
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
While the tablet might be cheap, I thought from the earlier discussion you will need a data plan for GPS? If so leaving the thing running for a few hours every day could add big $ to your mobile bill - you would want to know the downstream kbit/sec while it's running to calculate your monthly costs.

BT can be mighty fussy, you would want to confirm that it connects properly with the car while you can still return the tablet.
Sorry, I took the question as asking whether or not the Fire would work for use with Torque (and by inference, an OBDII adapter) not as a GPS.

I agree with you, its just better to get a dedicated GPS, that's why I own 3 or 4 of them.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #20
smbrm

Drives: Scion FRS Ht Lva(AT)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaros View Post
Mount it right in the middle of the steering wheel xD

I not sure I would want a GPS flying at me at the speed of an airbag blowing out!
smbrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #21
Sport-Tech

Quote:
Sorry, I took the question as asking whether or not the Fire would work for use with Torque (and by inference, an OBDII adapter) not as a GPS.
OT a bit, but it sounds like a cheap Android tablet plus a usb/OBDII cable and an OBD reader app you could have the equivalent of a dedicated OBDII reader?
Any idea of what such an app would cost? Cable would probably be about $30 I'd guess.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #22
Want.FR-S

Quote:
Thanks for confirming that. I meant for the Kindle Fire, not the old Kindle. It is good to know that cheaper Android tablet with BT will work in this.

Quote:
Sorry, I did not realize we got things all mixed together. So just to be clear on this: if you are using the GPS function on your cell phone, you need data plan to download and update the maps through Carrier. For that, you will incur data plan charges. Most people buy a data plan starting from 500 MB to 2+ GB per month. This network traffic may not be huge, but it is still some data traffic.

If you buy a dedicated GPS, the device receives the signal from GPS satellites and compared that with its internal-stored map to pinpoint to your current location. You do not need connections from phone companies, so no data plan charges. For us Canadian, it is also good if you are traveling to US that no data plan charge when using the GPS.

Quote:

I agree with you, its just better to get a dedicated GPS, that's why I own 3 or 4 of them.
I was looking for an option to setup a gauge to read more data from my car, including the CEL information and whatnot. Since I have a dedicated GPS for that already so I am looking for options only for that purpose.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #23
Want.FR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future View Post
I'm mostly gonna go with a Galaxy Tab (GPS built-in) + OBD2 bluetooth + Torque App + Tab stand (that bolts to the floor under the left passenger seat bolt)
Quote:
OT a bit, but it sounds like a cheap Android tablet plus a usb/OBDII cable and an OBD reader app you could have the equivalent of a dedicated OBDII reader?
Any idea of what such an app would cost? Cable would probably be about $30 I'd guess.
Actually, I was going to start a thread about this but may just piggy-back on this thread for possible configuration. (I am also interested on this as well.)

option 1: get a OBD II gauge ($150+) along with cable
  • read CEL code and provide a description and clear it
Option 2: get a ScanGauge II ($150?) (http://www.scangauge.com/) that comes with a cable
  • Read CEL (Only PCode) & can clear it for ya too
  • Digital Gauges:
  • Displays 4 of 12 built-in gauges in real time
  • Fuel Economy/Rate
  • Battery Voltage
  • Coolant and Intake Temperature
  • RPM
  • MPH
  • Manifold Pressure (depends on vehicle)
  • Engine Load
  • Throttle Position
  • Timing
Option 3: For Apple devices. (http://gopointtech.com/products/) to get both the connector (BT or calbe) and the App that does pretty much the same thing as the ScanGauge II does.

There may be other options on this route. Still needs to be researched.

Option 4; for Android devices: An Android tablet, a OBD II bluetooth connector, and the Torque App from the Market (Play).

As this is still work-in-progress, I do not know how much it would be for these different options.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #24
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
You can get a bluetooth OBDII reader for $20 from Amazon (no cable required), and you can get Torque for free or $5 depending on whether you want the additional "paid" feature. it then works with either an Android phone or tablet if you already have one. I believe there is also an iPstuff version of an app.

So for as little as $20 and existing equipment you have a functional OBDII reader that will display stuff real time on virtual gauges.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #25
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want.FR-S View Post
option 1: get a OBD II gauge ($150+) along with cable
  • read CEL code and provide a description and clear it
Option 2: get a ScanGauge II ($150?) (http://www.scangauge.com/) that comes with a cable
  • Read CEL (Only PCode) & can clear it for ya too
  • Digital Gauges:
  • Displays 4 of 12 built-in gauges in real time
  • Fuel Economy/Rate
  • Battery Voltage
  • Coolant and Intake Temperature
  • RPM
  • MPH
  • Manifold Pressure (depends on vehicle)
  • Engine Load
  • Throttle Position
  • Timing
Option 3: For Apple devices. (http://gopointtech.com/products/) to get both the connector (BT or calbe) and the App that does pretty much the same thing as the ScanGauge II does.

There may be other options on this route. Still needs to be researched.

Option 4; for Android devices: An Android tablet, a OBD II bluetooth connector, and the Torque App from the Market (Play).

As this is still work-in-progress, I do not know how much it would be for these different options.
Option 3 and 4 will do everything in option 1 and 2 as far as I can tell, and allows you more flexibility in what you show. I've used Option 4, no complaints and cost me a total of $25, plus I can use it on my Droid X or on a larger gTablet. When at home I can use the gTablet in and around the car, plus use it to search for manuals/etc on the Internet.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #26
Spd229

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S AT
Quote:
Option 3 and 4 will do everything in option 1 and 2 as far as I can tell, and allows you more flexibility in what you show. I've used Option 4, no complaints and cost me a total of $25, plus I can use it on my Droid X or on a larger gTablet. When at home I can use the gTablet in and around the car, plus use it to search for manuals/etc on the Internet.
Nice, didn't even consider something like this as I've been fortunate enough to have access to one of the plug in devices.....just a pain having to get the snap-on keys for it.

Any cons to the BT device? Seems the $20 connector has a 50/50 fail rate, granted the $100 variants seem to be pretty solid. If they get updated for new vehicles without hassle or too much cost this would be an awesome option....though now we're just getting off topic, sorta. lol
Old 04-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #27
Sport-Tech

^Very useful Dadhawk and Want.FR-S, thanks. So obviously any tablet bought to do this would have to be BT enabled. Have to research Android tablets a bit. Or maybe spring for that gorgeous Retina screen.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #28
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spd229 View Post
Any cons to the BT device? Seems the $20 connector has a 50/50 fail rate, granted the $100 variants seem to be pretty solid. If they get updated for new vehicles without hassle or too much cost this would be an awesome option....though now we're just getting off topic, sorta. lol
I haven't run into any cons, but I should qualify it with I'm not a "power user" of the device. Mine plugged right in, worked right away. Since the BT device is really just sending data to the tablet/phone for manipulation, I would think most of the updates are done on the software side not on the device itself, but I could be wrong.