follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
Frsultramarine15

Drives: 2015 scion frs ultra marine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Hi guys new here just want to get to know some of the fellow owners

Just want to know ure thoughts on the car just got mine any tips as far as keeping up with the paint or anything mechanical??
Frsultramarine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #2
jxl00

Drives: scion frs 2014
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
welcome,

1. get a clear bra for front bumper/hood asap if you care about paint chips from highway driving
2. just follow the dealer's recommended oil changes.
3. do not exceed 4k or use cruise control for first 1000 miles.
4. weathertech floor mats are better than OEM
5. get the Subaru trunk tray
jxl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:06 PM   #3
ray7792

Drives: AT 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Hey congrats and welcome!

I don't know how experienced you are with washing your car(s) so all this might be obvious but...remember even if you do get a new car detail, and/or clearbra, opticoat, etc keep the car clean. Wash it weekly, if not bi-weekly if you DD it.

Even though it is a new car there is without a doubt a lot of debris and shit on the paint from transportation of the vehicle. Get a new car detail or detail it yourself. Get a clearbra,opticoat,etc whatever if you want, they help a lot with paint chips as jxl00 said.

Don't know how you've washed your car in the past but just in case...

-Use the 2 bucket method with gritguards and have dedicated microfiber items (e.g. those only for top half of car, those only for bottom half, those only for wheels/tires, whatever)

-Use a foam gun if you want, helps lube the car and lift up some dirt so less chance of swirls. Remember a foam gun alone is not enough to wash a car, use it with the 2bucket method.

-Drying, same, have dedicated microfiber drying items (waffle weaves are great for drying) Use a leaf blower or something to dry if you have one.
Less touching of the paint means less chance of swirls.
Use the water hose method(drying with water) if your paint doesn't have many imperfections and/or has a coating this method works very well and with a leaf blower your car will be dry without even having to touch the paint once!

Cleaning the interior clean is a given but a tip for cleaning the inside rearwindow, fold the rear seats and go in from the truck to comfortably clean the rear window.

If you will take it to a third-party to wash and car, its going to have swirls without a doubt. Those touchless car washes aren't bad but things like birdshit and insects won't be fully washed off by those types.

Everyone wants to keep their cars clean but don't let that deter you from enjoying it and being a hoonigan xD
Old 11-11-2014, 01:03 AM   #4
Frsultramarine15

Cool thanks guys yea I want to take care of it but I don't want to go to crazy with worries cause It kills the fun do you guys have any mods or are y'all keeping it stock?
Old 11-11-2014, 01:14 AM   #5
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
NEVER EVER DRIVE IT! LEAVE IT IN THE GARAGE WITH THE CAR COVER!

That is all.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:17 AM   #6
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Garage
Do what you can to keep it clean, but don't fuss over little things. As much as we really like our cars (possessions), they are just that. But if a bird poops on it, clean ASAP.

It's made for driving, so go drive and have fun.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:28 AM   #7
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just Have Fun

http://driftspots.com/

I've owned my car (2015) just 5 wks.
1886 miles on it so far...just nearby home driving...and I don't work.
I took it from the Stealership not washed...did not want them to mess with it at all.
Washed it myself, removed the adhesive left by white plastic couple of days later.
16mi on the odo when I left the Dealership...Began beating it immediately...hit rev limiter couple of times within lst 100 miles.
Have driven it dirt roads, winding crappy asphalt roads, potholes, narrow rocky streams (use that Torsen diff), you name it.
See that Avatar...that's dirt on the car, on a dirt road in the boonies...woods, forest, no other cars seen for two or three hours driving....where the car belongs and totally rules.
Some freeway driving as well.
Love seeing it with dirt on it, yet do care enough to wash and hope to not get scratches.
Bottom of front bumper trashed several times, including a rip...watch out for those cement parking stops...the ones with rebar sticking up.

Have it serviced per the book...NOT what the Stealership recommends...they want you to come in too often.
Well, I see I need a tire rotation already...LOL...at 2000 miles...(wild rides on winding roads)...I'll do that myself.

I hope to drift it sometime soon....road trip to other states.

car fits like a glove, let that glove get worn and sometimes dirty, just use it !
The radio display can be turned off...learn to use it, then learn soon to turn it off and display off...just drive and listen to the car.
Smoothest, easiest to drive, best handling car I've ever owned of 55 or more cars.

The Mustang GT is parked. A wonderful and fast beast it is, yet not nearly as endearing as this FRS...just not

Last edited by ToySub1946; 11-11-2014 at 02:47 AM.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:40 AM   #8
kchar
Because Racecar

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Ignore the crickets. They will come.
kchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:55 AM   #9
Frsultramarine15

Yea I kinda realized it's going to get scratched and dirty just want to it too last ... Also is there any squeaks or specific rattles I should expect this is my first brand new car I've had other used ones were those noises were comon but don't know what to expect with this
Old 11-11-2014, 03:14 AM   #10
Frsultramarine15

And any tips for the first to second shift for some reason I'm having a hard time with that one or is it just me?
Old 11-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #11
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Garage
Let it warm up.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,619 Times in 18,982 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frsultramarine15 View Post
And any tips for the first to second shift for some reason I'm having a hard time with that one or is it just me?
It's not just you. Brand new these trannys are super tight. It will remain that way for a few thousand miles. Be patient. It will get much better. Meanwhile, use the opportunity to learn how to double-clutch. Tons of related threads here.

Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:31 PM   #13
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yea I kinda realized it's going to get scratched and dirty just want to it too last ... Also is there any squeaks or specific rattles I should expect this is my first brand new car I've had other used ones were those noises were comon but don't know what to expect with this
Rear deck rattles. There is a fix for this in the DIY section of this forum (have to pop some welds with a flathead screwdriver).
Sometimes door panels will rattle, depends on the luck of the draw. Fix for this is to disassemble the door panel (fairly easy with some $5 panel remover tools from Harbor Freight) and put some sound deadening. I just let it be.

Quote:
If it's the notchiness or clunkiness of the transmission, that's a characteristic. Some report changing transmission fluids helps. Also, letting the car warm up will reduce it. I just deal with it.

Welcome.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #14
Frsultramarine15

I just got off a good drive but I've been noticing this windshield kind of buzzing sound anyone else