follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 05-28-2022, 11:43 PM   #1
Kulebrero1

Drives: Gr86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
To wing or not to wing

For those of you who started out without a rear spoiler/wing and then added a wing. Did you notice a significant difference? Was it worth it?

I’ve only been on track in a Miata. It had a small wing. It felt like it was on rails…truly fun and easy to drive. I was rear ended and lost the wing. The car didn’t feel as stable on track anymore. Not sure if it was in my head, or if I was pushing a little harder.

I plan on tracking my 86 for the first time in a month. Wondering if a wing will be useful. I do not plan to add any power mods. Focused on suspension, brakes, and tires only—aside from seats, harness, and roll bar.
Kulebrero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 12:14 AM   #2
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,243 Times in 8,611 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Get the biggest wing you can find before you try the car out for your first time on track. That's what any truly experienced track guy would do.

Smh.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Kulebrero1 (05-29-2022), RT-BRZ (05-29-2022), villainous_frx (05-29-2022)
Old 05-29-2022, 02:48 AM   #3
villainous_frx
Off to the track!

Drives: '14 Lava 86, '13 WRB BRZ
Thanked 1,150 Times in 462 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Get the biggest wing you can find before you try the car out for your first time on track. That's what any truly experienced track guy would do.

Smh.
Thanks for the advice, I strapped a Spruce Goose to both ends of my car
Old 05-29-2022, 11:52 AM   #4
Kulebrero1

Drives: Gr86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post

Smh.
I don’t pretend to know what I’m talking about. I’ve only done about 15 track days. I’m barely scratching the surface on the type of mods needed to address certain issues on track.

I said the car felt a little loose, but it could’ve been a number of factors…the tires were nearing their end of life. The track was super hot. I may have been pushing a little more than I had in the past.

I know a wing and a splitter will add downforce on faster more powerful cars, but does it help slower cars like ours? I didn’t say I was going to get a wing. I asked if it made a difference.

But I’ll take your advice. You sound like you know everything and is kind enough to share his knowledge to help and inform others. Thanks!

Last edited by Kulebrero1; 05-29-2022 at 01:53 PM.
Kulebrero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kulebrero1 For This Useful Post:
Sapphireho (05-29-2022)
Old 05-29-2022, 11:56 AM   #5
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Do one weekend without a wing and see how the car behaves, proceed from there. You will lose a little bit of top speed on straights due to drag but will more than make up for it in turns.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
villainous_frx (05-29-2022)
Old 05-29-2022, 12:02 PM   #6
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by villainous_frx View Post
Thanks for the advice, I strapped a Spruce Goose to both ends of my car
Is that a 'Hakone' in "racing" speak?
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 01:54 PM   #7
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,325 Times in 7,383 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Wing makes a difference, especially on tracks that have a lot of medium to high speed corners. I’d really just drive the car as is till you decide you want it. I put one on my car too early for me and partially regret having it altogether. The car is certainly faster with it, but there are issues with adding a wing I didn’t think about dealing with that I am still sorting out now. Car was also more run to drive with less grip IMO.
Old 05-29-2022, 08:04 PM   #8
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Aero mods are a touchy subject for these cars, they don't really have the power to push past the drag penalty incurred by meaningful amounts of downforce so most people would suggest that you do what you can to increase and tune mechanical grip before you start playing around with aero. I'd certainly spend my money on suspension and tire upgrades before I did anything with aero.

All that said, if you're going to put aero on these cars, I'd just acknowledge it's more about looks than about performance because these cars DO look very good with a bit of aero on them.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
Kulebrero1 (05-29-2022), RT-BRZ (05-29-2022), TheBoss77 (05-30-2022)
Old 05-29-2022, 10:11 PM   #9
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
IMHO: The most effective aero mods would be under the car. Underbody panels, front splitter, and a rear diffuser.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blsfrs For This Useful Post:
fminicooper (06-06-2022), jflogerzi (05-30-2022), kevaughan (06-09-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 12:14 AM   #10
NoHaveMSG

Garage
To wing or not to wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
Aero mods are a touchy subject for these cars, they don't really have the power to push past the drag penalty incurred by meaningful amounts of downforce so most people would suggest that you do what you can to increase and tune mechanical grip before you start playing around with aero. I'd certainly spend my money on suspension and tire upgrades before I did anything with aero.

All that said, if you're going to put aero on these cars, I'd just acknowledge it's more about looks than about performance because these cars DO look very good with a bit of aero on them.

I wish I had AIM data before and after adding my wing and splitter. I went to RaceChrono in between and my start/finish point is not the same either so I can’t compare data apples to apples. I think I have one damp session with a wing logged with AIM.

You can’t look at the drag penalty purely from a MPH/power perspective. You have to look at the time that it takes to cover the distance. Drag also squares with speed so the rate of acceleration from 60 up to 80 or even 100mph isn’t significantly big. I notice it’s really around 105-110ish that the car struggles to push through it, my car being NA. So even being down 5mph on the front straight that is 3/4 mile at the track I frequent the most, the actual time delta with splitter/wing going down the straight isn’t as big as you would think, especially considering I am coming onto the straight 3-5mph faster to begin with.
Kulebrero1 (05-31-2022), Lynxis (05-30-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 12:27 AM   #11
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Leave the wing for last. Also if you plan to go full Aero get suspension that can handle it with your desired tire.

IMO Do Full under panels, diffuser for better stability. Move onto Front Aero and then look at wings.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (05-30-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 02:32 AM   #12
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I wish I had AIM data before and after adding my wing and splitter. I went to RaceChrono in between and my start/finish point is not the same either so I can’t compare data apples to apples. I think I have one damp session with a wing logged with AIM.

You can’t look at the drag penalty purely from a MPH/power perspective. You have to look at the time that it takes to cover the distance. Drag also squares with speed so the rate of acceleration from 60 up to 80 or even 100mph isn’t significantly big. I notice it’s really around 105-110ish that the car struggles to push through it, my car being NA. So even being down 5mph on the front straight that is 3/4 mile at the track I frequent the most, the actual time delta with splitter/wing going down the straight isn’t as big as you would think, especially considering I am coming onto the straight 3-5mph faster to begin with.

I'm not trying to say it won't help but I'm just trying to hedge expectations, not all aero is created equal and aero benefits are course dependent. I'm just advocating that the money is better spent improving mechanical grip first if you haven't done the basic stuff there already. And be prepared that if you're particularly unfortunate, aero may not help at all at your local track, like it doesn't at mine.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (05-30-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 11:23 AM   #13
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
I'd agree with most people here, leave aero for after you have good car control and are able to extract more performance out of the car. But a lot of people are underestimating how much downforce affects car's behavior on track (and lap times). The whole "car doesnt have enough power" is a lot of nonsense most of the time. You'd need huge dual or tripple element wings (and proper front to balance) to get there, and even then, only on really long circuits with long long straights would you actually go slower that way, everywhere else, aero is king.

But dont do it, not yet. Also, dont put a wing and call it done, all you are doing is creating a world of understeer, aero needs to be balanced to be fast.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
Kelse92 (05-30-2022), Kulebrero1 (05-31-2022), NoHaveMSG (05-30-2022), RedReplicant (05-30-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 01:05 PM   #14
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
I'd agree with most people here, leave aero for after you have good car control and are able to extract more performance out of the car. But a lot of people are underestimating how much downforce affects car's behavior on track (and lap times). The whole "car doesnt have enough power" is a lot of nonsense most of the time. You'd need huge dual or tripple element wings (and proper front to balance) to get there, and even then, only on really long circuits with long long straights would you actually go slower that way, everywhere else, aero is king.

But dont do it, not yet. Also, dont put a wing and call it done, all you are doing is creating a world of understeer, aero needs to be balanced to be fast.
I really messed up this with my car. Even though I am running a smaller wing and splitter setup I didn't anticipate how much higher the loads would be and my current suspension setup is not up to the task. So even though the car ended up around 2 sec a lap quicker at most tracks, it's a handful in some situations and really hasn't had all it's performance unlocked.
Icecreamtruk (05-31-2022), Tcoat (05-31-2022)